What ranges do you play in Hold'em? STT, MTT, Short-handed, Heads-up

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's not consider the other player styles that you are going against. As this will change the ranges of your hands when you are facing specific opponents. I am just aiming for a general range.

I prefer playing 9 player MTT, but I am fairly sure that I have a NIT playstyle when I am in these, so very rarely do I actually hit the money bracket. I try to play using the TAG style during these games, but I don't do so well. I try not to play passively, but I tend to worry more in these games.

When I am in a short-handed (3 players specifically) tournament, I do a lot better. I have a LAG (not maniac) playstyle and it works so well. It might be the fact that it is easier for me to read all of my opponents (just two as opposed to eight) and keep up with their playstyles.

My range is about the same for both STT and MTT 6/9 player tournaments.
Early Position: KK+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
Middle Position: QQ+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+, KQo
Late Position: TT+, A8s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, ATo+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+

For the 3 player STT, it is a bit harder to give an exact range as I play my opponents more than I do my own cards. This is just an idea of what I play in general rather than according to position.
All positions depending on situation: 89o+ 67s+ 66+ (It is close to 50% hand range)

I imagine that I would play the same in heads-up as I do in the 3 player STT. I haven't tried a heads-up match yet.

What do you ranges do you play? What style do you aim for? Do you change styles depending on the game that you are playing?

Also...

What would you recommend to increase my 6-9 player table game? Should I avoid 6+ tables for now and try to develop my TAG (or even convert my LAG style) for a while? I think that it might be a good idea to try adding an extra player starting out of 4 players (if it's even possible) and then working my way up.

Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I won't bother with ranges here but poker is a game you should't play by the book.Many factors and situational moves will lead you to be a winning player.

I think 6 max will reduce more the variance and give you more profit in the long term and I feel is a good start. On the other hand they are no do and don't on how you want to play , you can play full rings , 6 max or even some MTTs. Just play whatever suits you!

I read some days ago that if you want to play LAG at first you should ''master'' the TAG style and ok i find it very rational :)

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All pocket pairs are super to a non paired hand all factors considered.

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that you don't play 22-99 is a massive leak in your game imo. Also missing medium suited connectors, they play well from late position and in multiway pots.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When I first sit down, I typically initiate action with these ranges:

EP: 77+, AQo+, T9s+
MP: 55+, KQo+, 87s+
LP: 22+, JTo+, 54s+

I think it's important to open with more pocket pairs and suited connectors because (1) your c-bet can represent a higher pair and (2) when you hit a monster, the strength of your hand is more concealed. Like anything else, I make adjustments to this based upon the specific players, stack sizes and blind/ante levels.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello;

I think the ranges have gone out of style :)

Now everything depends a lot on how much you map the players; For example, you can use a range of hand very thin players and very wide against fish or very different against veterans.

what is important here according to my advice is not to designate you to a very specific range of hands.
for example you can not play AA always, because there are times when you have to throw those hands.

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm. So it is very apparent that I need to open up more. Trying to bring that LAG style into the larger tables seems more and more appealing.

I had read that I needed to learn TAG before I tried to learn LAG as well. I don't know why it has worked out better for me.

I mentioned that I was having problems keeping up with so many opponents. A lot of times hands will fly by and it is harder to pinpoint their style. As I said earlier, when I am in the 3-handed games: I hardly play my cards, I play the people instead. Once I can get that read, I know how they will play.

So, do any of you have any advice on keeping up with reads on 5-8 players at once? Best bet seems like pen and paper for now.

I think that I will do as Akmost mentioned and keep to 6-max for the larger tables for now. If I keep it to STT, I won't have to worry about being bounced around tables as well.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's not consider the other player styles that you are going against. As this will change the ranges of your hands when you are facing specific opponents. I am just aiming for a general range.

I prefer playing 9 player MTT, but I am fairly sure that I have a NIT playstyle when I am in these, so very rarely do I actually hit the money bracket. I try to play using the TAG style during these games, but I don't do so well. I try not to play passively, but I tend to worry more in these games.

When I am in a short-handed (3 players specifically) tournament, I do a lot better. I have a LAG (not maniac) playstyle and it works so well. It might be the fact that it is easier for me to read all of my opponents (just two as opposed to eight) and keep up with their playstyles.

For the 3 player STT, it is a bit harder to give an exact range as I play my opponents more than I do my own cards. This is just an idea of what I play in general rather than according to position.
All positions depending on situation: 89o+ 67s+ 66+ (It is close to 50% hand range)

I imagine that I would play the same in heads-up as I do in the 3 player STT. I haven't tried a heads-up match yet.

What do you ranges do you play? What style do you aim for? Do you change styles depending on the game that you are playing?

Also...

What would you recommend to increase my 6-9 player table game? Should I avoid 6+ tables for now and try to develop my TAG (or even convert my LAG style) for a while? I think that it might be a good idea to try adding an extra player starting out of 4 players (if it's even possible) and then working my way up.

My ranges change based on Stack depth.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm. So it is very apparent that I need to open up more. Trying to bring that LAG style into the larger tables seems more and more appealing.

I had read that I needed to learn TAG before I tried to learn LAG as well. I don't know why it has worked out better for me.

I mentioned that I was having problems keeping up with so many opponents. A lot of times hands will fly by and it is harder to pinpoint their style. As I said earlier, when I am in the 3-handed games: I hardly play my cards, I play the people instead. Once I can get that read, I know how they will play.

So, do any of you have any advice on keeping up with reads on 5-8 players at once? Best bet seems like pen and paper for now.

I think that I will do as Akmost mentioned and keep to 6-max for the larger tables for now. If I keep it to STT, I won't have to worry about being bounced around tables as well.

If you are playing online. A HUD If you are playing live, I use "poker bankroll tracker." It's a free App. You can plug in live notes on players.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes I think a tracker will be super helpful , if you enjoy play poker a HUD will do the hard job for you plus it can keep some notes by itself[HM2 , PT4].
I don't advertise here but I just want to tell you that I bought PT4-small stakes more than a year ago and I am super happy. it costs less than 50 bucks lifetime and it is very light for your pc/laptop!

There are many options out there if you want to invest in a tracker purchase!

I feel that the previous posters helped you a lot with the ranges I just wanted to point out that whenever you are ITM of a 9 max or 6max the money are in 1st place. You need to study a little more and aim only for first place.Be super aggressive if you are short stacked but never be afraid. It's a pity to be ITM and keep losing value by not winning the SnG. :/

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You play fairy tight for an stt considering the blinds and the fact that people are less the more you play

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play online. Tried a hud, but I ended up doing worse with it and now I just use it to keep track of myself and don't use it while I am playing. Did I play that hand wrong, am I being too passive, too tight? Stuff like that. I feel like it would be best for me to learn to do the work myself so when I get a chance to play live, I will know what to do. Same for when I move up the stakes online. It will still be tough playing live as I won't really know many of the tells, if any, that an opponent has.

I will look up PT4 and see if it is better than the one I have a free trial for. Poker Copilot. I know that I need to be doing better at aiming to win rather than making it to the money bracket.

You say you change ranges depending on stack. Are you talking about your stack, your opponent's stacks, or both? I think I play best in larger tournaments when I have a medium-short stack. When I have a larger stack, I start falling apart. Looser short stacked, tighter with a large stack?

I do open up as the tables start to clear out, but it is just difficult for me to get to that point. Less players, less possibilities for premium hands, and easier to read opponents. Just getting there is my problem. Starting a tournament, whether it is STT or MTT, I do fine. About 1/2 to 2/3 through a MTT tournament, that's when I start making more mistakes and they are usually costly.

Eventually I will get there. Just have to keep playing and learning. Once I get to a spot that I aim for, I will set a new goal and aim for it next.

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play online. Tried a hud, but I ended up doing worse with it and now I just use it to keep track of myself and don't use it while I am playing. Did I play that hand wrong, am I being too passive, too tight? Stuff like that. I feel like it would be best for me to learn to do the work myself so when I get a chance to play live, I will know what to do. Same for when I move up the stakes online. It will still be tough playing live as I won't really know many of the tells, if any, that an opponent has.

I will look up PT4 and see if it is better than the one I have a free trial for. Poker Copilot. I know that I need to be doing better at aiming to win rather than making it to the money bracket.

You say you change ranges depending on stack. Are you talking about your stack, your opponent's stacks, or both? I think I play best in larger tournaments when I have a medium-short stack. When I have a larger stack, I start falling apart. Looser short stacked, tighter with a large stack?

I do open up as the tables start to clear out, but it is just difficult for me to get to that point. Less players, less possibilities for premium hands, and easier to read opponents. Just getting there is my problem. Starting a tournament, whether it is STT or MTT, I do fine. About 1/2 to 2/3 through a MTT tournament, that's when I start making more mistakes and they are usually costly.

Eventually I will get there. Just have to keep playing and learning. Once I get to a spot that I aim for, I will set a new goal and aim for it next.

Both my stack and my opponents stack. Poker Co-pilot is terrible. Holdem manager or Poker tracker, much better.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands