What is most important in MTT's?

SrWesleiNF

SrWesleiNF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is more important in poker? if it were to define in one word MTT what is more important? Possession, blids, odds, set in one.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience!
Most important is the ability of the player to wait patiently for good cards and a good situation. I believe that this is a basic skill of a successful player.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitively a tie between blids and set in one.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
i agree with Foxy, PATIENCE is primary importance in MTT
i hate be patient, i wish to play, all time! is no fun click fold all time
once i learn to follow my ranges, be patient, i been do better
however is lots less fun lol

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most important thing in MTT is your stack size and your reading on your oppoents hands.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that the greatest skill is patience, to get the itm is enough to get further need be other possibilities.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience!
Most important is the ability of the player to wait patiently for good cards and a good situation. I believe that this is a basic skill of a successful player.

Totally agree. The times I've won I always have the feeling that I held my anxiety and waited for the appropriate spot

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely patience. I see way too many players getting too attached to their hands or shoving their short stacks in a bad situation. Be patient and pick the right times to take advantage of these mistakes. I've found that in most of the tournaments, I've been able to eliminate a player who is way too over confident in their TP or over pair hand.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Adjusting our play according to varying stack sizes. This is a crucial element in MTT play and one that has many novice players making large mistakes.

But honestly there are so many factors that I can't really narrow it down to ONE. I mentioned the one above because it is one I feel has players making the most mistakes with.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trying to culminate the multitudes of factors that make or break you in a MTT into one word is pretty impossible. For those of you that say patience to sit there and wait for top 10% hands, that's wrong too. Your hand ranges for most positions should offer plenty of opportunities to play hands. If you're playing very few hands you're definitely playing too tight or have difficulty playing post-flop.

As Poker Orifice pointed out effective stack size awareness is usually a huge leak a lot of new players have.

Also a huge mistake I see in the general population: positional awareness - if you're playing 4 handed and are first to act, you are not UTG, you are the CO and you should be opening your CO ranges. Your position at the table is based on relation to where you are from the button, not the blinds.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s tough to argue with “patience” but if I had to pick only one word that’s the absolute most important, I’d go with aggression!

It’s crucial to be aggressive in tournaments, which doesn’t mean that we could call ourselves that in every single hand—that would make us a maniac! But in the hands we do choose to play it will almost always serve us well to play aggressively :)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck. Everything else is secondary.

0fc8479e67c3d8599e6bd65672328b15.png

Last edited:
Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

The most important thing is to play with the position and possibilities percentage. Furthermore patience !!

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm surprised no one mentioned strong mindset. MTTs can be real brutal, variance is so huge and you can wait months for making a decent result.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck, patience, skill and aggression.. Its a work in progress :)

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience for sure combined with tight aggressive poker and when you build your reputation you can lay on it and bluff in spots where you missed the flop.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of good answers here. I would add that it is very easy to be too patient (or too aggressive) so understanding table flow and balancing is helpful.

Unless you are very lucky, at some point you will be short-stacked and knowing how to make profitable plays against all player types is of great importance.

The best tournament players know how to turn a small stack into a big stack so they can never be counted out if they have chips.

In big-field MTTs taking advantage of your deep runs will determine how big of a winner you will be. When the cards go your way if you don't understand how/when to put pressure on your opponents (or when to back off) you will be leaving money on the table.

Good luck!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think it is patience in the short term, while playing a tournament, but also patience in the long term, which means right timing. This means to decide when to play a mtt, what buy-in, how many, how often. It is a sequence!

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
none of them, for me, is resilience

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, patience. Especially at the start with so many players just going all in trying to get lucky. Even in have Aces and get 3 all ins one just might get lucky and for me they usually do. So hard as it is I try to avoid all ins for the first hour. But I do play more marginal hands while the blinds are low, just might get lucky myself.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Keep calm an relax when you're out for a bad beat or bad move bad call just learn and move to the next tournament is the hardest for me control your emotions

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
The question asked is akin to asking how to cook a particular dish.
Basically there are main ingredients and some not very important ingredients.
Some of the Main ingredients are patience, position, stack awareness, aggression, luck not necessarily in that order.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho the most important thing is to know your opponent. Take notes on any specific behaviors and either adopt a method to categorize them or make your own, whatever works.

Obviously this won't always be 100% possible but do your best and it pays off. ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just one thing.... 'winning' (obviously)

Attachments

• win.jpg
    win.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 40
Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not losing huge flips close to the FT.