What can I expect to get out of big micro tournements

Y

Yapsinho

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I like to play the big 1.10$ Tourneys with 1000-2000 Players. Im a competitive guy and I love the thrill and excitement of trying to make your way to the whole field.

Im would consider myself as a beginner, who got the basics and is pretty solid with them. I made some cashes, but overall I am +-0.

Sooo, to my question.

Lets imagine we have this Tournement with 1500 Players. And we imagine a Poker Player, who will always do the right decision and will always try to win the tournement. How often or how likely is it for him to win the tournement, get to the Final table or get ITM?

I know this is really theoretical and not really possible to answer, but I like to have some answers or thoughts to that for my mindset. I know I am far away from being a decent player, its just... What can I expect from tournaments. How big is the variance there.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
a beginner player with a good luck can get in ITM, but rarely win the tournament, the variance is high, and he will not know how play against all diferent type of players
after many experiences in this specific tournament some players still can't play well
but if you are in a good day, you can start a good run for a final table and somehow eventually win
you can expect crazy bluffs, very loose players and of course BAD BEATS

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you take the right decisions, this does not guarantee you victory in the tournament. No one is safe from bad beats and coolers, and nobody canceled the factor of luck.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a small bankroll it is a good option for vygrali Davoli's good.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trouble for the beginner MTT player is, he will cash about 25% of events, but receive less than double for a bottom place finish. MTT players rely on deep runs to turn a profit, which the beginner is ill prepared for and will find near impossible

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Friend, in a tournament of 1000 or more players with a buy-in so low the least you can expect is a very high variance. People go all-in preflop with anything and your Premium hands happen to have 80% chance at best. But assuming you make the right decisions almost always, in the long term you should be entering ITM at least 15% of the time, or so some coach says. From ITM to first place is another story. I just want to add that in bankroll administration they usually recommend having 200 buy-in to enter the tournaments, because of the high variance

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its difficult to quantify with exact numbers, but if 1.500 people play, then maybe a good player can win 1 out of 1.000 tournaments. Its something in that ballpark. Its not 1 out of 100 or 1 out of 10, as some people might believe. Getting this expectation right is the first step in becoming a successful tournament player.

There are so many people, who play like 3 tournaments. In each one they go out on a bad beat before the money, and then they write posts in this forum about, how that particular poker site is rigged. But the only real issue is, that their unrealistic expectations and feeling of entitlement were not met.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
such tournaments pump skill well and psychologically train it if you approach it right. But you also need to have luck and good luck - its weight at micro limits has a very big impact

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its difficult to quantify with exact numbers, but if 1.500 people play, then maybe a good player can win 1 out of 1.000 tournaments. Its something in that ballpark. Its not 1 out of 100 or 1 out of 10, as some people might believe. Getting this expectation right is the first step in becoming a successful tournament player.

There are so many people, who play like 3 tournaments. In each one they go out on a bad beat before the money, and then they write posts in this forum about, how that particular poker site is rigged. But the only real issue is, that their unrealistic expectations and feeling of entitlement were not met.

I love this explanation. It is soooooo true on multiple levels. Tournament poker is NOT an easy thing. I've dedicated the last 16 months to nothing but my MTT strategy and its paying off but certainly taking it's own sweet time doing so.

Cash games have the least amount of variance and offer the most returns for good players. If you are looking to make $$ at poker and do it regularly and quickly - focus on cash games. If you love the thrill of MTTs - they offer the best ROI for top tier finishes but they also require more work and a deeper understanding of the game as we move up. A GOOD winning tournament player should have an ROI of somewhere around 30% (I beleive). When you achieve this consistently - you are then beating your current level stakes

K

killosaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to know how much variance plays a roll in tournament poker. Entitlement tilt, bad beats and long play in large tourneys can leak my bankroll.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The trouble for the beginner MTT player is, he will cash about 25% of events, but receive less than double for a bottom place finish. MTT players rely on deep runs to turn a profit, which the beginner is ill prepared for and will find near impossible

Beginner player cashing in 25% of events? You are a very optimistic guy, Newman :)