What hands do you choose to start a tournament?

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all when we start a tournament we start with hands that we choose by value I like AQ, AK .. what hands do you start with?:confused::confused:

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't really matter to me. Always looking for spots where the 2 hole cards can be anything. Out of position is where the safe zone is.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on the tourney. My range varies because of the buy in or the style of tourney. Usually in the beginning of the tourneys my range is pretty open , especially if it's a survivor then I'm pretty much going to grab as many chips as possible because more people tend to fold when theres a time limit risk. Bounty Hunters I have an open tight range because in those people are more likely to call larger raises/all ins early because theres cash value. Reg style tourneys It depends on the table, if my tables super tight then ill open up with more hands, I feel that waiting on premium hands early gets you sucked down faster

B

bgmyshu24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First does not matter so much to me. Usually I don't pick higher cards for the first hand.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when we start a tournament I like AA, KK:)

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It depends a lot on the dynamics and the type of players at my table. My open range is higher in the first levels of blinds than usual, I try to make as many chips as possible, because players tend to play a little bit too tight at the beginning of tournaments. :star:

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the difference with what to start) I prefer to start with a pocket pair 9/9 10/10

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
beginning of tournament

i like mid low suited connectors - best way to get the top hand and getting people to pay.

i feel like getting a lot of top pair in the beginning of a tournament will spoil my chances to win the tournament and typically i find it harder to get people to pay when A or K one the table

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages of the tournament, I always try to play only with strong cards.
1. AA, KK
2. AK, QQ, AQ
3. JJ, AJ, KQ

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages of tournaments, I like to enter pots, unraised pots that is, with a wide variety of hands, which I think is good game strategy, given how loose tournament tables are. Every strategy has to change, evolve, if you progress deeper into a tournament.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only monster hands. and always!! dump the rest:star:

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't look at the cards so much at the beginning of a tournament, I worry more about the position I'm going to play. Better to play an AK, AQ in late position than in early position!

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hands like 89s 910s J10s because they can crack aces/kings easier when players love to just invest all their stack on boards that dont even really favor bigger pairs.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The range of cards is directly proportional to my bank. To start the card from Ace to 10.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is the key....premium hands in early position but a wider range in middle and late position where I'll play just about any pair, suited connectors etc

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when blinds are low I play a little loose and see more flops...For me it really depends on how many BBs I have...

When I have 40+ BBs I play a little loose...

30 BBs I play a smaller range...

20 BBs I play tight...

anything less than 20 BBs it all depends on position and how many callers/raisers before me...you can shove with a wide range of hands since equity tends to be on your side...

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA, KK top hands to get a double to chip up

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No difference, the most important thing is that the board is beautiful for me)

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on my position - I play a wider range in later positions. But generally when stacks are deep and blinds are low I'm only playing premium hands or hands with good implied odds like suited connectors. I don't feel it's worth taking risks when the blinds are so low. As the blinds increase and players are knocked I play a wider range, try to steal more blinds as they are worth more - the tournament equity you gain from winning them is greater.
Having said that, I do believe you should keep changing your strategy throughout a tournament so as to not become too predictable. I'm currently studying and experimenting with different, wider, ranges that I'm not used too. They contain more bluffs/3-bets/limps etc than I'm used to and hands that I would normally only consider playing in much later stages. This should bring me a greater profit than my current, too-tight strategy which I feel leaves a lot of value on the table.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start to finish

I like to play a consistent strategy, play good hands and play monster games.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
position

I play my hands very strickly on position, if i have a 67 45 or 56 suited in late position i might still call as much as 5x raise in early stage of the tournament. So in that sense i dont really have a fav hand to start with other than AArockets:);)

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLEASE!!! Tell me where I can choose my hands... ;)

I'll take a royal flush and some quads then...

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
I think the range of opening hands depends on the position, as well as the speed of the tournament. In tournaments with fast speed, need to open a wider range, otherwise the stack will quickly melt.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is the beginning of the tournament, then the stakes are not high and therefore it is comfortable to start with almost any hand. Watching which strategy do you hold for LAG or TAG? Usually at the beginning of the tournament I try to play according to the TAG strategy, as the depth of the stacks and the passage to the late stage I start to play more loose and open wider.

Last edited:
S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually stick to AA’s,KK’s,QQ’s,JJ’s or AK otherwise I’ll wait.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands