What does opponents time taken to act say about their hand???

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone every consider opponents time to act a "tell" online...IMO, the strongest hands always seem to take the same amount of "thinking" time before a huge raise/shove. Typically, it's not long but it's not an instate action either. Also, any drawing hands seem to be quicker calls. I've seen other players use this to their advantage. I'm just curious if anyone has noticed any patterns or is this just stupid to factor into any major decision?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A loooong long time ago I thought timing mattered but with online poker it is so hard to tell. Some people may be multi tabling, answering the phone, or searching for something on a web browser instead of taking their turn. So, I say take timing with a grain of salt.

However, if you have been sitting at a table with the same players and see patterns, consistency, etc. then you can definitely use timing as a tell.

I myself use timing to trick those who actually think timing is a tell. I've seen people wait until the last second to shove all in to represent a big trapping hand....

M

MikeMike109

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people may be multi tabling, answering the phone, or searching for something on a web browser instead of taking their turn. So, I say take timing with a grain of salt.

Exactly you never know what other person is doing :) but once you are more into game that you can sport some patterns, especially how long people think to get all-in

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't take it as a reliable tell. Personally I rarely play stakes that matter enough to devote full attention, so for some hands here or there I might just have something better to do at the time, perhaps even mid-hand.

And then there are the times where I look back to the table just in time to wake up with aces in the BB with a few players in the hand and barely 2 seconds to click anything let alone think and decide what to click.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough with a new table but if you happen to be at the same table for a while there may be some timing tells that can help.

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I intentionally use my time and sometimes time bank to throw people off. Especially with strong cards. Generally the longer the decision, the more unsure (or trappy)

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friend in my personal opinion I think that many times the villains use the time to pretend they have a good hand and to bluff me I have done it and I have been, I hope you serve my little experience. Bye bye

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls,i think it say he have something,if he need a lot of time to call i think he have something but he afraid to call because he think neemy have stronger.
Same thing as all in,you go all in but opp wait and wait and wait,he have good cards but not good to call and he spending time on thinking!

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can give you my personal tells if you like.

Call or raise almost instantly= Im trying to tell you im strong but I am not strong , OR I just sneezed, hit the wrong key and likely had no intention of calling or raising anyway. Proper action for you = you should just fold

Call raise or check after 10 seconds but before extra time = Im likely thinking about how to extract the most money from you with my monster hand. This has the added benefit of also looking weak and callable. OR it could mean that my daughter has just flicked a green bean against the back of my head and ive turned around and lost focus for a moment. Proper course of action here is also to just Fold.

Call or raise into the extra time bank= There is NO DOUBT this is a slow play every single time. There is nothing to think about here. I either had a big hand all along and am slow playing for value, or I hit my draw and am slow playing for value, or the flush and 4card strait just hit the river and im slow playing just to make you wait on your money, OR ive gone to the bathroom and my wife is now playing you with my hand and she is still deciding what 5 cards she is allowed to use and is googling "whats a good hand" and its taking some time. The Proper thing to do here for SURE is the just FOLD. If its me im not bluffing.......if its my wife it doesnt matter because she is to dang lucky to lose.

Sure hope this helps.

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good all...great to hear the thoughts of others on this...I have the same ideas as a lot of you..are they trapping by taking forever or looking at other poker videos...lol all about payterns

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also like to snap check a set, especially if theres an Ace on the board. It makes you look very weak, like your afraid of the ace.
(exception: if the board is all 1 suit, need to find out if theres a flush out there, and try and push off people hunting a 4 card flush, so always raise in that situation (set on a mono-suited flop)

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Anyone every consider opponents time to act a "tell" online...IMO, the strongest hands always seem to take the same amount of "thinking" time before a huge raise/shove. Typically, it's not long but it's not an instate action either. Also, any drawing hands seem to be quicker calls. I've seen other players use this to their advantage. I'm just curious if anyone has noticed any patterns or is this just stupid to factor into any major decision?

Oh this is not stupid to factor. This is one of the few tells you can pick up on online. They are tough to pick up on but can be valuable. It is easier to pick these up when playing heads up. Just be careful sometimes as is the case with all tells they can be misleading.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am not so sure about time tells nowadays . But if somebody takes a lot of time imo he tries to bluff you usually , but have seen some use it and at the end of time make the raise to get a call . I wish there was a sure catalogue of tells .For now I believe it depends on every players' behaviour on the table . Some tank all the time without any purpose , won't say any names ;) .

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Usually they linger when they have good hands. One day I learned that we should not start the action so fast, so that it generates doubts in the opponents regarding the hands that we can have.

G

gcb722

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It really just depends on the person you are up against. It isn't the same across the board though. Most honest players are telling the truth when they take a while.

P

Pawa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all have different technique here, I think there is a unique solution, if it is to disassemble each player separately, then we will see how he plays which hands.

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I take time to think its because I'm making a move. Either I'm really strong or I'm weak, but it means I'm planning. Faster actions normally mean easy decisions (hit the flop or on a decent draw)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone ever heard the phrase "Study long, study wrong"

R

rick rosamond

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe they dropped their mouse

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you can pick up timing tells if you are playing at a table for a long period of time or against players you are used to playing with. I try not to pay attention to it as much cuz sometimes it may get you into trouble.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad internet connections, 4 screaming kids, dog needs to go out, laundry to fold, Rick is trapped by zombies again... Yeah I'm always focused when playing online.

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying not put so much emphasis on this anymore. Thinking that good players can use this to their advantage. For the most part however, I do think tht better hands are taking more time to think about it. They are thinking about what to bet and what that bet will say about there hands where as bluffs are just like a "oh please fold!"

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fast calls can lead to telling tales, great hand, bluff,.slow vhands also give to this matter , its about watching the players an habits at your table

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly you never know what other person is doing :) but once you are more into game that you can sport some patterns, especially how long people think to get all-in

I agree, often I'm playing a lot of tables and it makes me slow. Many times I just feel like taking my time and slowing down the game for different reasons. Its hard to get many online tells but how fast or slow someone bets, if its a pattern could be helpful.

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
during the game, I think! Because of this I build the enemy's range! It helps me!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands