What does average stack size actually mean?

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously you can see it in the lobby of every tournament - but I've noticed that the average stack size is never actually the median stack size: having an average size stack realistically puts you in the top 25-20% of players in that tournament (in my experience). So what are we supposed to do with that information?

Should you be aiming to have an average size stack, or do players with above average size stacks often do better? What does this number mean and how should it affect my strategy?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Average stack size is the mean. It is usually well ahead of the median (although top 20-25% is unusual - it's usually ~35%). Do with that information what you will.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a calculated guess of the players who are left. They just take the amount of chips and divide by the players after the large and small stack are taken out. It's more for show.

Daymo90

Daymo90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use it as a guide when entering tournaments late registration, compare between the starting chip count and the average chip count, compared to the current blind level and see whether it is worth entering said tournament.

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is median of all stack sizes )) you can calculate and check it ))) And there is no correlation between averave stack and your current position in the tournament.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a division problem based on how many are in relative to their stack size. As one mentioned, it useful to see if it is worth jumping in a late registration. It is also useful to know where you are at with you're stack to what the average feild is at.

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just the ammount of chips that are in the playing field divided by the ammount of players left. you should adjust your play based on the amount of BB's you have left not the chip average.

M

milo79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

when i play Tournements the most time i not better than avarage.

But when i am over avarage then i ended in money

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
I can advise you only to carefully read the theoretical material. Practice poker and gain experience, and you gain experience to answer your question.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Average is generally the mean numbers, or total chips divided by total players. I don't put too much stock into that personally. I like to know, but if say 12 players are left in a tournament...most often it seems there's one or two big stacks and only maybe 4 guys have above average stacks. I am more concerned with how many guys I cover and how many BB I have to dictate my play.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just the ammount of chips that are in the playing field divided by the ammount of players left. you should adjust your play based on the amount of BB's you have left not the chip average.
The first (and correct) definition of the average stack size!
The median is something very different; it is the the amount of chips where 50% of the players have more chips (and the other 505 have less chips).

S

sergiu2222

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Average stack

this wont work in a rebuy/addon tournament as your not considering those extra chips

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this stat is only really useful for cashgame players, to quickly spot an opponent playing with not his normal stacksize.

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, average stack can dictate speed I play certain hands... I.e; I have 10x average stack, I am playing my hands quickly and aggressively, making others make those key decisions. If I am average or below, I am making more calculated decisions, based on stack sizing, with less worry of someone busting me. Obviously if a chip leader is at my table, I will select positions and spots based on avoiding a HUGE confrontation. Just my take.... ;)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this wont work in a rebuy/addon tournament as your not considering those extra chips
Sorry for the correction:
All chips in play are divided by the number of players left.
So: re-buy and add-on are fully taken into account (or the room uses very poor software).

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, average stack can dictate speed I play certain hands... I.e; I have 10x average stack, I am playing my hands quickly and aggressively, making others make those key decisions. If I am average or below, I am making more calculated decisions, based on stack sizing, with less worry of someone busting me. Obviously if a chip leader is at my table, I will select positions and spots based on avoiding a HUGE confrontation. Just my take.... ;)
Better than your stack versus average stack is the m-ratio and even better the reduced m-ratio.
The reduce m-ratio tries to tell you how many hands you can (not) play before blinding to death.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The average size stack, in the lobby, is an overall gauge for how your chip gathering endeavors are progressing.
During a break, when the tournament is no longer in late reg., one can use the total number of entrants stacks ( plus rebuys/add-ons chips ) and divide by the number of places payed to get a relative average of where you should be to cash.
Table average is good for gauging when to snipe at a stack.
There are numerous ways stacks can be used mathematically during a game, guess that algebra I learned in high school might come in handy.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, how can someone play daily 100$ freerolls?
Rather than interupting someone elses thread (a really bad habit), suggest you read the forum rules/search for the freeroll rules (and no, I not gona give you the link:p).

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The word average is of dubious meaning in statistics.

B

Bearclaws8989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It means your pretty much in the middle of the pack

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Once the rebuy and addons are finished the chip average is still calculated by the total chips in play divided by the amount of players that are remaining in the field.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Toward the middle rounds, it can be helpful in determining appropriate levels of aggression as it relates to chip distribution, big blind, stack size and the likelihood of soon being short-stacked. I like to look at this stat. along with the number of remaining players already short-stacked.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What does this number mean and how should it affect my strategy?

It doesn't mean jack sh1t.

What is more important is the size of the stacks on YOUR table... and the size of effective stacks vs. bb (how many bb's in stacks). < this will greatly impact our play in many ways.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Average stack is number of chips in play divided by players left. Average stack size is a good place to be in a tournament, above average and your in a good spot, but as Mr Orifice says above.. that's really important.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The size of the stack not for me does not have much importance, what to import is the hand the size of the stack is a mere detail