What to do when you hit your flush on the turn?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi how do you get good value from hitting a flush on the turn, i never know if to bet worried they will fold or check and try to make them call on the river.
Obviously checking gives the free card for a potential full house or another card giving them a higher flush.
I would love to bet because thats what i would do if i was bluffing. However when playing live i always have a tight image, so most players know i dont bluff often, so they respect my raises which is frustrating at times but does mean i can bluff more at later stages, stealing blinds and pots :)
How do you play these situations then guys? :D

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not always act the same way in this type of play, but sometimes I bet just a little to try not to make it so obvious that I have color, sometimes I bet a little stronger, but I think it depends on how I see that they are betting the players that have entered in that play, that if I always try also to analyze the possible plays that may exist and can defeat my play

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check. collect a street of value on river. if pot is sizable shut it down there.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always different opponents and different spot. I don’t have a certain way I’d like to mix my play about it

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
What to do when I hit your flush on the turn?

It will dpend on the Flush, If I get the Top Flush with A: then I will bet big.
If I get a Flush on the k, Q, J side, I will stilll bet but only 3 Bet,
a Chance of a Full House or higher will always be a concern, but I always let that to the "Variance" side of Poker! :call2:

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Its no exact science and its best to mix it up. Check forty percent of the time bet sixty percent of the time. Since your in the auto pilot mode it puts them in the Little Big Man Movie Custer Decision.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on a few factors such as the you have been playing and the kind of opponent you are facing. Position is also important. If I'm out of position there I almost always check, because that's what I would do when holding a draw or a bluff catcher. In position you should mix your strategies so you don't become too predictable, but try to remember what the other player did in past hands and you might be able to trap them.

G

Gameplayraja

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you did earlier. if you bet last time then value bet if you didn't or if you called then check unless you are checked to then you will obv. raise and try to catch some free chips otherwise good luck figuring out a nice way to fool your opponent into betting. It is really hard online but offline it can be done somewhat easier.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on how your opponent has been playing. If they're tight, bet. If they're loose, check. Either way, enjoy the moment.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key is the betting line you took to reach the turn. If someone else opened the pot and you just called and then the same player bet on the flop and, again, you called, then the story appears more likely that you made the flush. A big bet here would most often end the hand but so would a small bet....that won't fool many people. So your choice is bet and take the pot or take your chances on the river and hope your value bet works.

If you opened the pot and continued on the flop then a check would be the best line and likely to fool your opponent. Finally, if you were a caller pre flop and then bet the flop perhaps to signal a pair then, again, a check on the turn would have a good chance of working.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It always increases when I play with low cards to bet because the risk of the villain is expecting flush with four cards on the river and one in the hand so he has to show strength now if my flush is the largest there is to play to extract maximum of chips from the villain

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bet bet! Especially if you checked the flop. You are going to get a lot of folds, but sometimes someone will actually have something like a set or two pair. You want to be charging people to draw against you with these hands. If someone is folding because there is 3 to a flush on the board their hand is probably pretty weak anyway and there is no value to be had.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how you arrived in the situation, how many players are in the hand and your reads on them.
Against more than one opponent I would be more likely to bet to reduce the chance of someone drawing to beat you.
Against one opponent I'd be narrowing down his range based on his actions in the hand so far and his general play before. I'm also thinking about what range he might put me on based on my actions so far - who has been the aggressor in the hand so far? Also effective stack sizes are important - will a raise leave me or my opponent pot-committed?

You obviously want value for your strong hands such as made flushes and if you check here,and your opponent is on a draw and misses, you're unlikely to get any more chips on the river. Also you don't want to give a free card, you want your opponent to be getting the wrong pot-odds to draw to beat you (a-$ev play on his part, making you money in the long run). So if villain is on a draw I think you have to bet the turn and can be happy to take the pot down here.
However if villain is not drawing to a hand that beats yours he will probably fold to a turn bet but may try to bluff you on the river if you check the turn.
I hope this highlights why your read on your opponent(s) is so important.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a flush is played like all other hands when he hits the flop...
I do not see any difference...
you should always go forward to the end...
It is better to lose than to suffer at night due to the fact that the hand did not play correctly... or you did not take risks...
:date:

wontmilion

wontmilion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a complicated topic, your decision have to be based on a lot of different factors: how many chips left in your stack and your opponent's stack, your villain tendensies, how often do you expect bluff from him if his draw will miss, your and opp positions, how hand was played out, how many players in the pot etc.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just bet 2/3 of the pot and keep it uncomplicated, or flex, either way the river will be the same card regardless

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends if it is a color with height A I am even more checker against if I see that I may lose because I'm too greedy I prefer to bet but it also depends on the level of my opponents.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I check if I hit ace flushdraw on the turn

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on: 1) how strong your flash is; 2) did your opponents play aggressively or not; 3) how many chips you have; 4) how many opponents you have - and many many other things, so hard to answer unequivocally.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I know the players in the pot are aggressive I would consider betting small, probably 1/4th the pot or 2-3 BB and hope they 3-bet. If I don't know how they play I'd check flop and hop someone takes a stab, and continue check calling.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even when I pick up a flush with K I try to play very carefully. I often find myself in situations where my opponent has A
And when I have I try to bring the case before the river because I'm afraid to scare.
I can be in a situation where the player will confront me that it does not matter what his kicker and he will play very aggressive, and I'll be happy about it because I get his stack.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on a few things. First, do you have the nut flush? If so, I would probably slow play it and check/call.

If it's the No. 2 or No. 3 flush, I would be tempted to slow play, but I would also be willing to float out a value bet for a couple of reasons. What if your opponent has the ace of the suit, but has not hit his flush yet? He will likely pay you off to chase the nut flush, whereas if you wait for the river and it misses, he will be less likely to pay you off. Also, have you been the aggressor earlier in the hand? If so, a bet here could imply that you already have a made hand and are trying to keep people from hitting a four-card flush draw.

As always with poker, lots of factors have to be considered before determining your course of action. And as some have said, it also helps to play hands differently to keep opponents from getting a read on you.

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

Well!! It is a difficult thing that we have to think a lot cause depends on the situation, the cards we have, the flop and the cards the other player could have so basically we have to think about it. Maybe a check on the turn is a good option cause the enemy can bet and the we can make a raise and also if the enemy check then we can se if we want to bet on the river or make a check raise. I also believe we can check on the turn and then go all in in the river.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you answered your question in your post. Checking gives the other players a chance to improve with a higher flush or a full house. You've made your hand so now you should bet....not to extract value but to protect your hand. If your concerned about the post not being big enough because previous rounds were checked or completed with small bets then do what a lot of folks do. Bet the flop with your 4 card flush...this is where you extract value. If the turn doesn't work shut down and see the river. But, when the turn makes your flush now you already have something to win if they fold to your bet on the turn.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I see from your words, you’re game is to predictable, so sometimes bet, sometimes check, don’t be afraid of full houses or bigger flushes, they will call you anyway

Full Flush Poker