What to do before the maniacs

How to face the maniacs

• Total voters

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a strategy that works and is profitable, and you notice how you beat even very good players, but suddenly maniacs will appear even in real money games, how should you handle it? Stick to your strategy steadily, or should you adapt to deal with those who don't have a reasonable rule or strategy? That you thought?

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep pretty good notes on the bad players that I encounter. But I don't bother keeping notes on good players for one simple reason. Good players are capable of changing up and will do so when necessary. While might start out with the same basic strategy, I am going to constantly adapt it to the players at the table. If I notice a lot of passive play, then I'm going to turn up the aggression. If I see a lot of aggression, then I'm going set more traps. I am going to constantly try to adapt.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have to adapt to any type of player. Each person requires special attention. You need to be able to change to beat them all. Especially don't let maniacs get you out of control.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is important to adjust your game. When I have maniacs in front of me I like to raise to 4bb (SNG). Or against calling stations you can bet 2/3 pot directly with a good hand instead of maybe only 1/3.

On the other hand, I would never bluff against maniacs. Except semi bluffs. And you may have to adjust your raising range preflop if you have a maniac at the table that play a lots of 3bets.