qb93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMG 9533

Howzit CC. Help please!!!

Two nights in a row my AK suited and unsuited gets cracked by Jacks and my unsuited by 10Q unsuited.

Can you really fold AK, or is just a run of bad luck??

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can fold AK, but it depends on the situation. If people start going all in preflop with a huge stack or when they start making huge bets, then it happens I fold AK, because usually that is a sign of them having pairs preflop or like three of a kinds or straights on the table. I don't know how your situation was, but yeah AK can lose against JJ or 10Q. Try to think for yourself whether it was really bad luck or whether you were just a bit overconfident in your AK. Maybe a less aggressive approach or more aggressive would have been better. This is a learning process and comes with more experience.

qb93

qb93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you can fold AK, but it depends on the situation. If people start going all in preflop with a huge stack or when they start making huge bets, then it happens I fold AK, because usually that is a sign of them having pairs preflop or like three of a kinds or straights on the table. I don't know how your situation was, but yeah AK can lose against JJ or 10Q. Try to think for yourself whether it was really bad luck or whether you were just a bit overconfident in your AK. Maybe a less aggressive approach or more aggressive would have been better. This is a learning process and comes with more experience.

Thanks bro. Appreciate the help
Yeah, was final two tables and I was short stacked on both occasions.

L

Luvulongtime99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As said earlier everything is situation dependent with hands and with the hand of AKss or AK off that holds more true than anything.. Your in trouble vs a pair pre is the very first consideration if anything,

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
same for me. recently my AK whether suited or not lose against other lower cards even when someone gets pair of 6s or whatever it hurts so much. That's why I play AK since then very carefully.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop AK is good, and called a premium hand. It still concerns me as you for the most part only have 6 outs against any pair, and a very slim chance of making a straight. I still raise preflop, trying to force out any garbage that might hit, as well as small pairs, but losing with AK is not that unusual. Good luck

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is nice hand to 3 bet because you dominate Ax Kx open bets... Thats why i always 3bet with it... If you are unlucky and lose a flip, what can you do... You need to win flips to win tournaments any way, so just wait for one you are wining them [emoji14]

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good hand to go allin. Otherwise recommended to play carefully with it.

Vadim_King

Vadim_King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop AK is good, and called a premium hand. It still concerns me as you for the most part only have 6 outs against any pair, and a very slim chance of making a straight. I still raise preflop, trying to force out any garbage that might hit, as well as small pairs, but losing with AK is not that unusual. Good luck
It’s reasonable to make 3 bet with preflop AK, reraise will only be made by an equivalent or stronger hand.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
AK is a monsterous couple and in my opinion should be played all in in freerolls.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold???

before the flop if there is a huge bet or all in, this is indicating ace ace or kings and possibly less
Since you don't want to put your tourney on the line for this unknown you might fold.
If it was a situation where you would not be out and you might consider a call

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least 3 bet or all in.

Talalaew

Talalaew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All depend wich position.
Never fold, 3 bet or call.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but I can't fold AK. cmon xD (preflop I mean, unless a very extra ordinary situation arises. post flop I fold ofc)
We have 50% or better against everything and we block AA and KK

edit: Especially in your situation op with a shortstack AK is your ticket too double. if you lose, no problem, good game.
They play for millions with AK what can we say xD

Last edited:
pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just find the correct position for using AK, it looses alot to me too but have found some spot where ir is usefull. Good luck.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just find the correct position for using AK, it looses alot to me too but have found some spot where ir is usefull. Good luck.

Can you elaborate?
It loses a lot for you when you shove or call an all in preflop?
AK crushes most allin raises preflop.

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in no case do not throw out of course such cards is just a coincidence failure is what happened.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why to fold AK? Rising 3bb is ok! If AK is cracked it is not something so bad, because it will not happen all the time. Try to find when you must play AK. Follow the sequence!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a premium starting hand. But at the end of the day it’s still only ace high. How many times does ace high win the pot? Not very often. Post flop I am very capable of folding AK. I have been disappointed too many times with AK to have any strong attachment. If I miss flop and am facing a big bet it’s now time to cut my losses before it makes me go broke. I will stick around for a low amount in hopes of spiking.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Slick comes in bunches. It loses 5 in a row and then wins 3 in a row. It has the ability to win a hand after you just won a hand. So you can get a good chip lead if slick do for a hand and you just won.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look at AK as a strong draw hand. Treat it strongly pre flop but if you miss the flop you have to be careful. That does not mean you always have to fold to a bet or cant bluff with it, just know that it is what it is... Ace high. Dont forget the power of AK, though, preflop as you have an Ace and King blocker which significantly cuts down on the chance another player has Aces or Kings.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
push

Well id make a good raise and test out the table.
i continue on and if i get push back i may try to slow down and if i dont connect.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you play AK suited or unsuited like you should play any other hand. Preflop play is obviously a little different than a lot of hands but post flop you play them with the board and play your opponent. Depends on what kind of preflop raise was made, if I miss what are the other cards that I could suggest, what is my opponents range of hand, has he been pretty tight ect.

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never overestimate AK, it's a good hand but still losing to most under pairs and if someone hita trips and you have hit your ace or king it's the most difficult thing to get out of, or of the flop only comes small cards and someone leads you will not no what to do, so never overestimate AK.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK not the NUTS

View attachment 263570

Howzit CC. Help please!!!

Two nights in a row my AK suited and unsuited gets cracked by Jacks and my unsuited by 10Q unsuited.

Can you really fold AK, or is just a run of bad luck??

I really think too many players play AK like its the nuts, bu pre flop it is great, however post flop is a whole new game. Recently in a MTT 32 places from the money (small entry) I get AKs, UTG, I raise 3BB, next player all in and has me covered, the BB calls. The flop is 469 rainbow and yep the first caller has 46suited, the other has AK offsuit, game over and out. Obviously my calling the all in was not a great decision...nex time???