What is the best playing tactic at the beginning of tournament?

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am wondering how you guys play early phase of tournaments? What is the key of success for long term?

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people say play tight seeing only 8-12% of hands but I think it all depends on the table. If the table seems weak I bully. If the table seems solid I usually play tight early on. I'm a solid player and have always turned a profit each and every year. Average profit 16k+ as a semi-pro and hopefully soon go full-time. Best of luck in your journey.

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early allows you access to more "loose chips" and can be importing for increasing your stack to survive the danger phase.

It is important to understand how tight your table is, and play accordingly. Position is more important then alot of people realize, especially early.

To survive deep generally you must tighten up over time, as other better players are more familiar with correct starting hand ranges.

Final table or 2 (especially in a major) seems virtually a dice roll. Skill only can get you so deep, luck will be involved. You will need to suck-out once or twice along the way usually or have very small edge (pair vs 2 overs) hold up multiple times.

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are usually a gong show. Lots of people go all-in on very little, hoping to get lucky. There's something to be said for that; if you can double up (or more) early then you have a shot, and you might as well try so that you're not limping a long for 3 hours until the inevitable.

That's a terrible habit strategically but I understand why people do it, and sometimes I do it myself especially if there are 20 000 entrants.

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of materials on playing tight, and always with hand group 1 in the case: AA, KK, QQ, AKs and AQs at the beginning of the tournament, to maximize chip winnings and minimize perch for next stage.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play tight from most of the pros
I think it is the right idea so beginning of the game play tight.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
balls to wall, in other words be aggressive and hold nothing back

alar2080

alar2080

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything is relative, look at the table and do the decision

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In begginners tounament, i think the principal is not to bluff, cause there will always be someone who will pay for it and you will probably lose. But For the beginning of the tournament you have to play solid

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning you need to play quieter. Not to risk it. It's not worth it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are good arguments for playing either loose or tight at the early stages of MTTs.

I, personally, prefer to play a little tighter that the start and get looser as blinds increase. The main reason for being is that I know a lot of players play really loose at the early stages and by being very selective, I can easily get paid off on a lot of big hands.

Another reason for choosing to play tight is because most MTTs online have very fast blinds. The standard 10-12 minute blinds isn't that long at all. And, depending on how fast the table is moving, that might only be 6-8 hands per blind. How deep starting stacks are also play a factor but, for the most part, I'm looking to really conserve my stack as much as I can for the later stages where I can open up a little wider and play a bit more aggressively.

Also, a lot of bad players tend to tighten up significantly as blinds increase and I can take advantage of that with a much wider range more than I could in the early stages. Especially as it gets closer to the bubble.

Malkav

Malkav

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you have invested in the tournament. Did you buy in with your whole bankroll or is it a freeroll?

If you bought in for 50% of your stack and could win $100,000 if you final table then yeah play conservatively just realize that everyone else will have the same mentality and plan accordingly.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are divided into several stages, each of which is changing the style of play. At the beginning of the tournament you have to be very patient. In fact, in an aggressive game of the tournament at an early stage makes no sense, because the blinds are still too small. In the middle and late stage of the tournament you have to play aggressively, to collect the blinds, very good to watch the other players.
I personally prefer the tight-aggressive style of play in the early stages of tournaments. And in the later stages longer need to look at the situation, and to play and to adapt to the player in each hand differently.

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the begin of the tourney play only soliid hands please dont bluff in this part of the tourney always a fish can call you and you lose

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open up and adjust for the table. The blinds are small but a lot more dead money in the start. Those stacks will be harder to get as the field thins.

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the start of tournament I suggest to you to play tight , and try to play nice hands , and don't try to bluff to much. When you're on the prize I suggest to you to open more hands , and try to make your stack confortable.
When 10-20 players remain on the tournament I suggest to play tight , and try to open premium hands.
If you hit the final table play as you want , because they thinking about the money , and even you can bluff much , but be careful.
Thanks.

AceSticker

AceSticker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in the tournaments while the blinds are low is when I try to build a good chip stack and later in tournaments I play only my big blinds.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My strategy at the start of the tournament and play in position with AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, JJ and be aggressive with these hands!

S

SerZhadanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First I play very tight and agresivno only AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, JJ, AJ, AT

M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's addicted to each person, mainly to being patient. Imo it's difficult to define best tactic for the beginning of tournament but you have to play as few hands as you can :)

N

Niksic007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight, pick off some
small pots on a regular basis, and try to fife even or a little ahead of the increasing blinds and
antes. Don't jeopardize your whole stack on a tossup situation. Just keep accumulating chips and
wait for the occasional opportunity to double up with a monster hand. One or two double-ups a
day will keep you afloat.

tigeraxl

tigeraxl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chill ,only part of the geme you can play as so (exept you re cip leader or so ) but i encourage to play the hand only if is a strong one ,as chill you can fold ;)

G

gosunoob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As most of the others have said play tighter at the start of a tourney.

Also as others have said it depends on the table. Just because you CAN run it over and play the bully doesn't mean that you should. One of those people will catch on and if you don't notice, they'll be waiting for you.

I like playing tighter myself, and in the early stages of a tourney am not one to "flip coins". I won't go all-in on a draw unless I am favorite with it, and I won't take AK to an all-in preflop.

I would probably only take QQ or better all-in pre-flop in the early goings of a tourney. Everything else I would play post-flop.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case the best technique I use is to hold a little in the initial stages since many players will throw all in and pay very often big bets ..

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will loosen my opening range a bit in the beginning, hoping to catch a big hand and then play tighter as it gets in the middle stages.