We all are looking for the right play

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all are looking for the right play and finding it is the hard part. The play doesn't work all the time but when it works it can and you hit a rush you chip up. When you catch the rush you add some bluffs to help your stack. You have to watch out for the any two cards come at you because they are board or what ever the excuse is. good cards to you

B

BukuDuckets

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT "The Right Play"

When I first started playing poker in 2007, I was a maniac. I learned fast to tighten up, but it was a hard lesson learned. My game has evolved a lot but I still wonder when I am playing tournaments, whether there is a deeper science in the art of small ball poker and being patient. A small ball strategy that would reduce my exposure to putting my tournament life at risk. The problem with evolving your style of play or adjusting and playing different styles is that it becomes difficult to not be result oriented, and to know whether a line you take- (that you have never taken before) -is optimal or not when it fails to work and you don't have a large enough hand history to support the decision.

I have won first place in a pool of 400 players, and ran good to cash decent in tournaments with over 5,000 players, while being the chip leader for the majority of the tournament. Despite this, my results are nowhere near as good as many of the individuals I see making hundreds of thousands and millions ranked on Pocket Fives.

Obviously, I have leaks in my game.

Often, I dominate until I go bust and that happens from a suckout or just me not being patient enough wait for right spots or to accept I am beat in a hand.

I know my game has leaks, but I have come to wonder if there is a different style of play that would, over night, turn me into someone who consistently crushes tournaments, or at least cashes huge in one.

WHAT PART AM I PLAYING IN NOT WINNING?

I study the game intensely, and I am very defensive and cautious about those who criticize how I play without having better results...also I am skeptical about people who aggressively judge how others play considering that only 5% of the poker world is really crushing it. This means two things, 1) most of those crushing it most likely are playing in a non-standard way that would definitely be harshly criticized, and 2)Most of the people judging calling people fish, and donk, and idiot etc... are more than likely in the 95%.

but I still want to know...

WHAT PLAYS AM I MAKING THAT I SEE AS NECESSARY BUT ARE REALLY JUST CHOICES I COULD CHOOSE NOT TO MAKE AND IT WOULD IMPROVE MY GAME?

Your post just made me think all of that out-loud.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome, I guess that's the best kind of post. Everyone is saerching for the answer to that question. Those players are better but it is strongly my belief that they are luckier to. Poker takes a great deal of luck....and skill....but a lot of luck

B

Boris from Kazan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the right game is important! But! The right is always different, at the cash Desk, one for zoom the other for sit n go third in the MTT all the other. All different dynamics and different goals. I think here the question is whether you achieve your goals in the game? Try to analyse your game, your emotional state, so much depends on this. Big stack in the tournament is not the time to relax, because the game with AA will be clear to all and you can lose with this hand in half of the cases. Read, study and be sure to work on yourself, if you want to achieve good results. With respect! Good luck!

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is there is no 1 correct play to do in all situations. You need to know the basics and then adjust your game play to the table you playing at. That's what makes it interesting. You are right, everyone is after the correct gameplay. If we all played correctly in all situations, I'm sure all of our games would improve dramatically .