Ways to avoid the big hand bad beat

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I find myself in a hand whether its multi way or heads up.

For example I called the blind k5 on the button 4 way pot. I go to the flop with king on board, along with 4 and 3. Everyone checks to me. I bet, two fold, one calls. Turn puts another king. I have 3 of a kind, villian checks I bet 50% of pot. Villian calls. River is a Queen. I bet most of my stack, villian raises and being pot committed had to call. The result villian has a full house with pocket fours.

Another instance heads up, I had A8 and had three of kind aces only to be beat by AJ.

Is there ways to avoid these situations so I don't go broke.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Thinking about the opponent's range you're playing against. And how your hand stands against it. Equilab and Flopzilla might help. Or do similar calculations in your head.

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

For example I called the blind k5 on the button 4 way pot. I go to the flop with king on board, along with 4 and 3. Everyone checks to me. I bet, two fold, one calls. Turn puts another king. I have 3 of a kind, villian checks I bet 50% of pot. Villian calls. River is a Queen. I bet most of my stack, villian raises and being pot committed had to call. The result villian has a full house with pocket fours.

Another instance heads up, I had A8 and had three of kind aces only to be beat by AJ.

those are not bad beats when you bet he was calling so he had something .yes you had trips but he also was calling into them and had you beat ..another k? had you beat ..lower kickers get you in trouble

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well one thing I can right off the top from your first example is that it looks like your limping into a multihued pot. You want to try as ,much as you can to isolate players
preflop and be heads up on the flop. The less player in a hand the more value your good hands will have. Try raising rather than limping (generally its almost never a good idea to limp)or playing a tad bit tighter if there's more players in a hand

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have any doubts and think you don't have full control over a spot. you can slow play to try and manage the pot size and minimize your losses.

3ccasd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you shouldn't bet a lot with such a weak kicker, as you will often hit against a stronger hand. And if you do not want to see weaker hands in the drawing, then you need to knock out these hands before opening the flop with larger bets.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if you play aggressively pre-flop will you avoid situations where, for example, 44 would be folded by one of the players.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As others have said - the hand selection isn't that great - you lucked into good hands - and just happened to be beat by better hands. I don't mean to demean - just pointing out the truth so I can suggest some alternatives.

Also as others stated limping is weak and should be avoided - isolating with 3bets is a much better/more profitable choice.
I understand why you didn't 3bet K/5 is a weak hand - so why call with it? It's quite logical really, but it isn't a terrible 3bet bluffing hand. Unless the pocket 44s player is a MCS (major calling station) pocket 44s should be pitched to a 3bet - most of the time.

There is also a lot of detail missing from your original post. Was this a tourney or cash game? Full ring or other?
You cbet on the flop - but how much? Half pot? If I played this hand 1st I'd have 3bet to isolate - and that would most likely thin the field, then I would cbet small on this flop, because our kicker is junk. Turn and river we have options to check, or bet small again to keep the opponent on the hook. On the river same deal - we have position so either check back or bet small again, we don't have to go broke with weak trips, when the opponent has shown strength with his call down. He either has a bigger K or a legit hand that can call us down. The re-raise doesn't always represent the nuts - but here - we are beat easily by a bigger king. And I think you would never have been pot committed if you had bet smaller on each street - leaving you the option to fold to the re-raise.

On to the other hand - is this a HU match - or is it HU in a full ring game?
Was your hand suited or - you just decided to play a weak Ace?

A/8 HU in a head up match flopping trips - gonna go broke no way around it.

Smaller bets generally keep the pot smaller - allowing us to have maneuverability on all streets. You win less - but you also loose less.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lot of good advice here. First of all, thatguy6793 is absolutely correct in that you shouldn't be limping. Limping into pots allows weaker hands to see a cheap flop in the hopes of getting lucky and making a big hand. Speaking of getting lucky with weaker hands, I would say you should pay some heed to terryk and "stop playing crap like K5". I have been the winner in situations like the two hands that you (OP) described. And after winning such hands I have often thought "that's what you get for calling with that weak mess against me", but then again, they would have had to call a raise against me, because I wouldn't be limping in.

You should also be listening to iwont20 and considering your opponent's range. You should always be trying to put your opponent on a hand, which tends to be somewhat easier when you are raising rather than limping. Don't stop trying to put them on a hand. If you're betting and they are calling, take a second to consider what they would be calling you with. What would they have called your pre-flop raise with? What would they call your flop bet with? What would they be calling you with on the turn? I know it's hard to see the pocket fours in the first hand, but with K-5, the possibility of being outkicked shouldn't be unimaginable.

So what do you do when you're betting and your opponent continues calling, you've tried to put them on a hand and have come to the realization that there is a possibility that you could be beat? That's when you should listen to tauri103 and slow down and try to manage the pot size and try to minimize your losses. In other words, you can practice pot control. Another way of putting it, and something that I have always said is to try not to get carried away with any one hand. It's easy for most people to see the reward, but not everyone slows down enough to see the risk. Everyone looks forward to the double up, but people often forget that all-in is at risk.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, go back and read what theANMATOR wrote a couple more times.

Last edited:
ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I notice in many games im cruising along just fine, stealing, playing different hands, but the curse starts teh second I get AA and kK. I sorta like that I know the game is about over the second I start getting those hands so just let me raise my KTo from BTN take the blinds or win the flop and move on, dont give me AA so I can get it all in and lose the proper way

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to avoid bed beat i came to a conclusion and only if i don't play or you play with the worst cards! played with the strength of my hand and a beat bed comes, congratulations to the villain that and poker!:beer:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands