Vs 3bets from BB on the button

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of strategy would you guys use on the button against a good reg in the low stakes when they 3bet you from the bb? Which type of hands do you tend to 4bet and what hands do you flat with 30bb effective?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, a 3-bet in that situation looks really strong, because he can profitably call so many hands from BB, and with a 30BB stack he is creating a very low SPR, where he quickly put his entire stack at risk. So I probably dont 4-bet anything other than maybe AK, TT+, and with the rest of my range it depends on his sizing.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At 30bbs I don’t have a flatting range when I open button and a 3-bet by a reg in the BB. As Fundiver intelligently said :) , a lot of times that is going to indicate real strength by the BB—given that if the hand goes to a flop they’ll be playing the hand out of position with a very significant pot (in fact a lot of times that a reg does 3-bet here, he’ll frequently just shove the flop).

Btw, I think that 3-betting as the BB at 30bbs here has the potential to be a leak when done versus regs opening the button. Many players will only do this with the top of their range (I know I have a reliable note on at least a few players that seem to adhere to this). That’s why I tend to go ahead and play shove/fold versus a button open at this stack depth when I’m in the big blind. In general I think spots where I can represent a capped range without actually having one in OOP spots versus regs make me a harder player for them to play again in the long run [emoji4]

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 30bbs I don’t have a flatting range when I open button and a 3-bet by a reg in the BB. As Fundiver intelligently said :) , a lot of times that is going to indicate real strength by the BB—given that if the hand goes to a flop they’ll be playing the hand out of position with a very significant pot (in fact a lot of times that a reg does 3-bet here, he’ll frequently just shove the flop).

Btw, I think that 3-betting as the BB at 30bbs here has the potential to be a leak when done versus regs opening the button. Many players will only do this with the top of their range (I know I have a reliable note on at least a few players that seem to adhere to this). That’s why I tend to go ahead and play shove/fold versus a button open at this stack depth when I’m in the big blind. In general I think spots where I can represent a capped range without actually having one in OOP spots versus regs make me a harder player for them to play again in the long run [emoji4]
That makes a lot of sense!

When would you say the reg would start to 3-bet without shoving then? At what stack size?
Is the sizing of the button is small (2.2 bb for example) wouldn't it be fine for him to 3bet smaller then or would you still not consider this?