UTG hands

E

echoandben

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What are recommended raise or call hands when in UTG position?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the table and the style of players, also depends on your image. UTG is the new button lol!!!

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on your hand, if it is a strong hand, make a good raise. Raise

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is obviously a pretty ambiguous question, one that could easily be answered from different stacks, tables, and playing styles.

However, as a generalization, you want to eliminate all open limps from your game. That means that you never call UTG. Certainly, there are dynamics that could occur to facilitate breaking this rule, but generally - no calls UTG.

You're skill level will largely determine the hands you're comfortable opening from UTG. There are lots of pre-flop raise charts available from different perspectives and styles. But remember, non-of those charts will truly suit you.

As an absolute beginner, I'd advice sticking to premium hands, AA,AK,KK,QQ,JJ, 1010 and maybe add in some high pocket pairs, say 88+ and maybe AQs. As your game improves and you become more comfortable and competent, you can add in things like suited connectors, suited one-gapers, any two paint cards, and other speculative hands like Q10s.

However, just remember that the more hands you open UTG, the looser your image will be and the better your opponents ranges will become.

Basically, there is no right or wrong answer to your question - just an understanding of why we open. The why will be answered from many questions, often (especially in cash games), our cards rank fairly low on the list of questions.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in a 9-max tournament never raise UTG because someone else probably will for you.

I only raise if five or less are after me.

Also since UTG is the furthest away clockwise from SB and BB, you have the least effect in terms of pressuring BB or SB to pay you off as if they notice quite a few have folded, they may loosen up their starting range.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are in a 9-max tournament never raise UTG because someone else probably will for you.

I only raise if five or less are after me.

Also since UTG is the furthest away clockwise from SB and BB, you have the least effect in terms of pressuring BB or SB to pay you off as if they notice quite a few have folded, they may loosen up their starting range.

Do me a favor and disregard this -EV advice please. It's not profitable to limp UTG, or have an open limping range period.....ever! End of discussion.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do me a favor and disregard this -EV advice please. It's not profitable to limp UTG, or have an open limping range period.....ever! End of discussion.

I'd agree with this. I'm not limping UTG ever because you can start a limp party and end up 6 handed on the flop with AK. Just stick to premium hands and the occasional suited connector if you have a tight image. Remember, you always need to keep your image in mind, not just your opponents'.

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are recommended raise or call hands when in UTG position?

I seek to play with tall pairs! But sometimes I come in with AK / AQ / AJ. sometimes only!!!

Where together!
😎👊

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not sure about this. To say ever (never) feels very weird in poker. So many different ways to play every different hand, and then so many variables that come into play as well. I had some huge pot limping monsters in early position late in a tourney versus aggressive players. Granted there are times where I have limped AA and had 5 limpers come along for the ride and then muck Aces on the flop.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if table play is loose call with 44?

If the table is tight limp 44 for sure to set mine, tights you better expect to call a raise to see a flop which is not bad either. Some will say it's terrible, I'm not one of those people. You can get a lot of value when you hit your disguised set.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure about this. To say ever (never) feels very weird in poker. So many different ways to play every different hand, and then so many variables that come into play as well. I had some huge pot limping monsters in early position late in a tourney versus aggressive players. Granted there are times where I have limped AA and had 5 limpers come along for the ride and then muck Aces on the flop.

OK, agreed, never is a strong word. However, from the perspective of this posts' question - let's just eliminate all open limps and go from there.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I don't believe Rational Madman was telling him to limp UTG, I think he was telling OP not to play UTG.

OP I would only raise QQ+ AK AQs until you get used to playing then when you feel you are ready start to loosen it up a little. If you play 6max you could play a bit wider than what I have stated.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe Rational Madman was telling him to limp UTG, I think he was telling OP not to play UTG.

OP I would only raise QQ+ AK AQs until you get used to playing then when you feel you are ready start to loosen it up a little. If you play 6max you could play a bit wider than what I have stated.

Hmmm...well that's not what it says. He clearly says not the raise UTG because someone will do it for you. That said, never playing from UTG is -EV too, so....

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

I pretty much go by the 'fold as others kill each other off' mentality if everyone's stacks are fairly equal. I don't wanna risk being coolered and just go with the flow. Once there's significant inequality and I am beginning to be on the lower end of it, I then begin to loosen up and would play a 44 UTG. If it's a 9-max table, chances are one of the 8 after me is raising preflop (In MTTs I have basically never seen such a tight table that this wouldn't occur, in single table SnG, with 44 why would you raise just to get trapped by a super reraise?).

I don't play UTG much at all, this is true but what I said was hide your hand and let others raise for you.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hmmm...well that's not what it says. He clearly says not the raise UTG because someone will do it for you. That said, never playing from UTG is -EV too, so....

I know it is very -ev to never play a hand UTG. It does clearly stat do not raise but it didn't say limp either. You implied he was meaning limping instead of raising and I implied he meant folding instead of raising. He doesn't say limping or folding, just says not to raise! Only he knows what he was saying lol. He may have meant the limp re-raise, which just not good enough advice for someone who does not know how to play UTG

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands