Using time bank as strategy?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. Do any of you use your online time bank as strategy to help cash in a MTT? I think it’s a good tool to use if you’re a lower stack and the bubble is coming up. It’s not simply letting it run out, but knowing where the blinds are, when they are going to increase, etc. You can’t wait too long either because then tournament enters hand for hand mode and it’s a moot point.

I think it’s another skill/tool to develop to help get in the money more. If you have a good stack then it doesn’t matter as much.

Thoughts?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. Do any of you use your online time bank as strategy to help cash in a MTT? I think it’s a good tool to use if you’re a lower stack and the bubble is coming up. It’s not simply letting it run out, but knowing where the blinds are, when they are going to increase, etc. You can’t wait too long either because then tournament enters hand for hand mode and it’s a moot point.

I think it’s another skill/tool to develop to help get in the money more. If you have a good stack then it doesn’t matter as much.

Thoughts?

Very rarely would I ever do something like that. I think it's poor etiquette and slows the game down and forces shallower stacks down everyone's throat, but to each their own. The only way I utilize my time bank is when I am pretending to have a decision on the turn, when I think villain is bluffing and I want him to fire River again. Sometimes tanking is associated with weakness and so it can increase ur EV at times

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While i can understand why you can do this i also agree its bad etiquette and would not recommend it.One of the biggest issues for me playing tournaments is the amount of time they take I have stopped playing them on work night for this reason. I don't like the hand for hand mode but the reason for this in the games is to stop people from misusing there timers to just make it into the money Please do use the timers for this reason.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good strategy if you are looking to become one of those players that everyone hates. Very poor etiquette and not something Id ever recommend anyone does.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Do any of you use your online time bank as a strategy to help you cash in at an MTT?"

This is a good, relevant and controversial question. Time has become an element in a game of poker. You are allotted that time just like any other player. In fact, in some tournaments, players are given time chips. Whatever you want to do with your time - go ahead! If you want to use that time to:

(1) slow down play at your table, go ahead. Sooner or later, all players need extra time to think about hands or next moves;

(2) send a message to the player who goes all-in all the time, go ahead. Give him all the time you can to worry about his foolishness;

(3) think about the action in the big picture, go ahead! Remember! While time is running down on your table, players are being taken out of the MTT on other tables and that helps you advance! Right!?

Poker is not a popularity contest. It is about winning. The fact of the matter is that others will use their time against you in order to win - so, use your time against them regardless of your stack size or if you are on the bubble or not. It has become a valid strategy. There is nothing unfair or unethical about it. Some will not like it should you admit to any usage of your online time bank as a strategy to help you cash in at an MTT. I do understand where they are coming from. But that is their outlook. Do not make their outlook your problem.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've done it once, when you have very few chips and is close to the ITM, I have seen several players make, especially in leagues pokerstars.

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't used it for that, it's kinda low imo. And like you said once it's hand for hand all you've done is drag out the inevitable. I use my time bank to try not to create timing patterns sometimes I'll use my full clock then raise, other times I might fold, and I'll use it to call. Usually before it's up I already know what I'm going to do, but I try not to get picked up on timing tells. But using it to cash, idk if the min cash was like $1,000 I ain't gonna lie I probably would. But I don't play in large enough games for it to make a rip

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always slow down the game near paid places. Chat I have turned off for the haters:). If players or pokerrooms do not like this strategy should by create fast mtt with 3-5 seconds time bank.

S

SnagginOut

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't use my time bank unless I'm actually using it to think about a decision. If I'm in a tourney, I want to play as many hands as possible, since theoretically I should only be playing in the tourney if I believe I have an edge. I can realize that edge with less variance the more hands I play. I'd also rather chip up and put myself in a position to win even if it means I'm going to get knocked out on the bubble more often.

But as far it being "low" or frowned upon, I think anybody should use whatever tools they have available if they think it's going to help them. Like someone else mentioned, poker's not a popularity contest. I'm here to make money, not friends. If they're not breaking any rules, people should be able to play however they want.

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think this is a good strategy. Unless this is some kind of satellite, you are only hurting youself (and rest of the table). Your goal should be to win the turny and while you are stalling others are building their stacks.

My 2 cents

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this satellite and prizes are expressed in the tickets it makes sense, as such a move can be used against a maniac, but if such an action is used to simply enter the prize zone is not correct, or if you want to enter the minimum itm and think that everything will go differently is a profound mistake. I'm usually the short stack on the bubble play, push / fold and do not pull the time bank to get in the prizes. But there is an exception, for example on the bubble if in the hand to me 3-4 villain who no matter what, they will call my bet or I push with a premium hand will refrain and I'll fold my card.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree. The time bank will really help at ties to finish in the money... It also irrates some of the players at times, causing some to go on tilt if used correctly....

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies. Interesting how some people say it’s another tool and others say it’s bad etiquette and should never be used this way. The last post I never thought about but it could tick people off and make them tilt.

In most tournaments I’ve played you have about a 60 second time bank that seems to refresh after each break, so I don’t think it’s slowing the game down that much. In live poker, don’t people often spend more time than that thinking about plays?

I guess if I use it I just won’t admit that’s the reason behind it.

Thanks all.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have a few chips and very few players for the bubble, yes, I usually use this time bank strategy!

:icon_bigs

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally do not use a time bank as a strategy, saying that I do not have a problem with it if anyone does ..it can be annoying but at the end of the day there's more important things to be worried about

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Ok since you have time bank you can use it whenever you want. If the min cash is important for you go ahead and use it. Generally speaking whenever I want to stall I fold at the middle of the allocated time and almost never I use my time bank.

I keep my time bank for some very critical spots!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Time bank - it's your personal time, and you have the right to decide how to use of this time. I think that sometimes it is possible to use a time bank on the bubble for entry into the prize zone.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i used to slow play but it's very bad etiquette . Yes the game is about winning but play properly to win. I have found a good poker player gets into the money the correct way.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen lots of players do this when close to the money. What I don't understand is why they use it in hand for hand mode. It is not really helping anything if you are folding. Using the stall strategy during hand for hand mode just limits the # of hands you see during that blind level and if you are short stack I think it is a disadvantage to you since the blinds are just getting higher in the next level.

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If this strategy is being used on other tables then you are just leveling the playing field. No harm no foul.

B

Belus 08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience it has been a useful strategy even though i don't do that very often. But, as I said it proves to be useful when your stack is low and you are almost ITM

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
time bank

tambem vejo como estrategia especialmente para jogadores impacientes que acabam por entrar e jogar maos mais fracas e ate perdendo pela perca de paciencia em esperar
:jd4:mateuspoker

S

ss51734

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the guy saying its poor etiquette. You're slowing the game down and making it hard for some to see hands, and in all honesty with a shortstack you want to be seeing as many hands as possible.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm confused about the conflict between: the rules; which might make it mathematically smart and bad etiquette.
Online, I couldn't care less, rules are set by the computer, but I can see live the etiquette becoming more important.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did it only one time. I actually despise it. Did it because i had exactly one blind left and next hand i was big blind, and only 3 guys had to be eliminated for me to cash so that one time i used it. Not proud of it though, its against my poker rules.