The unwritten rule of shove with less than 10BB

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, this happened yesterday in the CC free and I had some doubts that I am sure you can help me.

First I have to say for a long time I know what it is but only for a few months I have put into practice the shove with less than 10BB and this has happened to me frequently and perhaps I am not sure if it should be done taking into account the position and how wide should be the range that one must have to make the shove this happened yesterday.

https://www.boomplayer.com/31253132_D28DA8F175

in this hand, I still have something like 6.5 BB but UTG position and despite being K10 I decided not to go all-in for the spot I was in.

two hands later the blinds have increased and I have less than 5 BB and this happened.

https://www.boomplayer.com/31253178_2CF341628A

My question is:

The range should be so wide that in UTG position I should have shove with K10os or was it okay to wait for a better hand?

This I ask for the second hand which was not much to think and although I lost, due to the situation of my stack I think it was the right thing with AK suited, however, it went all wrong because luck was not on my side.

I appreciate your comments on this topic

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was looking at your hand. Blinds allow you to wait for the best hand before the flop. K10 came on the turn and river - it was an accident. I would have dropped these cards in a pass on the flop, because the opponent had a ready hand, and he would have made a bet. Most people would have played the same way you did when you waited for AK, I'm sure.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it was fine to fold the KTo. With KTs or less players left to act behind, I go all in, but KTo is not a great hand from early position. Even with just 6 BB left you can probably find a better spot, which in fact you did 3 hands later.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, yes I'm shoving K10. Yes its early position but it will usually single out to the blinds , which it did. You have decent equity with K10 and theres nothing to be ashamed of. At a solid 10BB i more than likely would have waited but at your 6bb nah K10 would have been a shove.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have any hard and fast rules. So much depends on the how the other players are acting, how close you are to the bubble, how short you are. I've seen Ace-trash conquer QQ at lot! I've seen one card to a straight win a lot! I've seen innumerable folks play any two suited cards usually winning with one or two pair, or basically anything other than the flush they were after.

If I'm at a really cautious table I will shove with less that 10 BBs with KT from EP knowing full well that it's a very risky move. Any Ace is going to call (and with most of the players left to play there's a much greater likelihood they'll have a good AX), any pair is going to call, and any KQ is going to call. Basically if anybody calls I'm almost always dominated and I will only take the hand down if I get lucky.

However in the SB with only the BB to go, I will almost always shove with KT. I say "almost" because if we're right on the bubble and somebody else is way shorter I probably won't.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you played it right, but just bad luck. I agree with Matt's post though, especially about being near the bubble.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJ is a shove there, not KT.

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth does not have much analysis, the first hand well folded and the second good to go all in, the 10 blind rule is only all in because you have the possibility that nobody pays and steals some blinds because if you only open you commit and If you don't connect you lose precious blinds, I don't know what else to tell you is standard

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, this happened yesterday in the CC free and I had some doubts that I am sure you can help me.

First I have to say for a long time I know what it is but only for a few months I have put into practice the shove with less than 10BB and this has happened to me frequently and perhaps I am not sure if it should be done taking into account the position and how wide should be the range that one must have to make the shove this happened yesterday.

in this hand, I still have something like 6.5 BB but UTG position and despite being K10 I decided not to go all-in for the spot I was in.

two hands later the blinds have increased and I have less than 5 BB and this happened.

My question is:

The range should be so wide that in UTG position I should have shove with K10os or was it okay to wait for a better hand?

This I ask for the second hand which was not much to think and although I lost, due to the situation of my stack I think it was the right thing with AK suited, however, it went all wrong because luck was not on my side.

It's definitely NOT an unwritten rule... It's written in MIT

The MIT Course here How to Win at Texas Hold'em Poker MIT OpenCourse does state its always a good idea to shove when you're down to less than ten BB, Obviously you should have a hand worth playing any time you put chips in but check it out... You Might find some great info here...

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id probably make same play both ways unless my gut tells me otherwise and sometimes that happens, not often . Alot of times it happens just as it did to you.
Good luck on the felt

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is the winner when it's push/fold time with a short stack, in similar situations.

I think you played correctly.

Guy from MP shipped 12bb yesterday on me. I was on the button with A/J suited and my stack was about 6x larger than his.
I made the easy call and he turned over J/5 suited. He won with a pair of 5s.

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might wait more, loose blinds and be all in without impact. K-10 is enough when you are on the grind. My opinion

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Здравейте, това се случи вчера в СС безплатно и имах някои съмнения, че съм сигурен, че можете да ми помогнете.

Първо трябва да кажа, че от дълго време знам какво е, но само за няколко месеца съм пуснал на практика тласкането с по-малко от 10BB и това ми се е случвало често и може би не съм сигурен дали трябва да се направи като се вземе предвид позицията и широчината, която трябва да се направи, за да се направи това, което се случи вчера.

в тази ръка, все още имам нещо като 6.5 BB, но UTG позиция и въпреки че съм K10 реших да не вляза ол-ин за мястото, където бях.

две ръце по-късно блайндовете са увеличих и имам по-малко от 5 BB и това се случи.

My question is:

The scope should be as wide as that in the position of UTG must be felt with K10os or is better to wait for a better hand?

I want a second hand that was not much thinking and although I lost, because of the situation of my stack, I think it was the right thing AK answer, but everything goes wrong, because luck was not on my side.

There is no precise answer to this question and each play as it felt. I personally have 10 big blinds I want to double up with any decent card anyway there is nothing to wait because the levels you eat attack.

Poker Rules - Poker Games