thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Has anybody else gone into a tournament planning to play one style, and had to adjust because of the cards or other players? I've been trying to improve my game through courses such as CC's great 30 day course with Collin and Katie. I get it in my head to play an mtt a certain way, but it never works out.

This past game, I decided to 3bet more and play tighter in the blinds. I tried, but circumstances just made it impossible to follow my plan. Do you guys go into a tourney with a set plan? How do you adjust when it fails?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't ever play with a set plan. i might play with the idea of trying to improve a certain part of my game, like blind defending or 3betting, but i don't make it my main goal of the mtt. my main goal is to make the best +ev decisions i can in each situation and hope for the best.

Last edited:
L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be honest ... in this game and how in life you have to follow your own rules ... but the most important thing is to have patience. in my opinion, you just need to have a huge supply of patience and don't despair after losing your bankroll .. it's still a game and lottery happens here more often than mathematical predictions

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing to do to adjust a good game is the push fold stage and the second is to structure in the blinds.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often there was something that deviated from the plan, everything does not always go the way we want it, so it is better to concentrate on each individual hand

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should be doing this every tournament. I am not the poster boy for being able to mix it up but if I was better I would be constantly adjusting to who was around me, which players were to my left, the cards and dynamics of recent hands. Adjustments are the name of the game to be able to play well. So many players talk about changing gears which is extremely important if you want to be consistently successful. I would say it is a good thing to have a plan but just know that the plan should be changed often and will have to be to be able to compete with others.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. " - Mike Tyson

Haha. I love that quote. I find the gist of it rings true for many things, including poker. I think we strive to have a "plan", but with experience, we really end up having to have many many plans, and we constantly have to decide when to execute which one, or which part of which one, depending upon each game, and each situation.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love it when a plan comes together. Unfortunately, my plans seem to need scrapped at the first deal. I try to remain flexible, while at the same time incorporating minor adjustments I learn in my off game time. How it ends up, I tend to react to others' behavior rather than following my own lead.

Maybe I am just over thinking my strategy. Maybe I just need to go in with a clear head.