Tourney strategy!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been a good cash player but i am not able to do any good in tourneys!
I usually am card dead in early stage and then get short stacked and if i get good cards the player are very loose callers and i end up in a 3or4 way pot in early stage!
And most of the times bluff doesnt work!

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually am card dead in early stage and then get short stacked and if i get good cards the player are very loose callers and i end up in a 3or4 way pot in early stage!

Sounds like you're playing freerolls or microstakes. If that's the case, you're definitely not gonna have much fold equity especially in freerolls or microstakes since buy ins are so small so it's much harder to bluff. Because variance is heavy in mtts, you're also gonna be losing more times than you're gonna be winning in tourneys. You want to be minimizing variance as much as possible by playing very tight early on, and only loosening up towards the end. Bluffs are much more effective when blinds/antes are big in mid-late stage, and stealing is very profitable.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you're playing freerolls or microstakes. If that's the case, you're definitely not gonna have much fold equity especially in freerolls or microstakes since buy ins are so small so it's much harder to bluff. Because variance is heavy in mtts, you're also gonna be losing more times than you're gonna be winning in tourneys. You want to be minimizing variance as much as possible by playing very tight early on, and only loosening up towards the end. Bluffs are much more effective when blinds/antes are big in mid-late stage, and stealing is very profitable.
Not freeroll or microstakes but 10 to 20dollar buy in!
You really have no fold equity especially in early and mid stages maybe in deep stages only for flop c-bet(if they call never gonna fold)!
Only time when fishes become super tight is when money bubble is near!
What do you think about push fold strategy from mod to deep stages in theese tourneys?

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there
You should limp in the early stage waiting for a goos hand to increase your stack
Definitely is very dificult in freerols and micro but it pays if you wait for the big cards
Anyway, i do it and it pays
Rgds

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also theese have long registration and unlimited rebuys!(that might be one reason)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not freeroll or microstakes but 10 to 20dollar buy in!
You really have no fold equity especially in early and mid stages maybe in deep stages only for flop c-bet(if they call never gonna fold)!
Only time when fishes become super tight is when money bubble is near!
What do you think about push fold strategy from mod to deep stages in theese tourneys?

That's insane. I haven't played many low stake MTTs and assumed there would be less fishes up there.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments and cash games are 2 different beasts. In cash games you can make a bad call and keep playing but in tourneys you only get 1 shot. Gotta use your chips wisely or go maniac. The super late reg sucks most of the time but it helps build the prize pool i guess.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are totally different from cash and sit a go.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are a grind.

Thanks for sharing.

I read one time that successful online poker players make their money from 5% of the tourneys they play in.

1-20 For final tables. These are the best of the best so we should expect less for ourselves maybe 1-30 or more. Not hard to then say we can go 60 tournaments and not final table any. Add in the fact that the tournaments they are playing in they are seldom seeing four to a pot where as we are often seeing that.

You have to learn to except losing if you are going to be good at tournaments.
The emotional difference between cash and tournaments is significant as well. You can get some of your loses back in cash games and walk away feeling ok. When you walk in a tournament it is always on the downside emotionally.

My point, keep playing well and grinding but also if you can select tournaments where skill matters more do so.
:)

C

cuseNcows

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I play mostly tournaments with 70-125 dollar buy ins:

Bluffs usually don't work especially early with 150-250 BB
Play position, position, position
Punish limpers by betting pot(this will cause you to be unpopular
If folded to you, either fold or bet(seldom limp)

At this level, at least where I am most people have no clue

cuseNcows

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah tournament is a way different dog then cash play. The variance is so much greater in MTT's it is pathdic. I recommend you have at least 200 buy ins for the level of tournament your playing in at the time. When you first start playing tournaments don't be supprised if it takes you awhile to get to a final table let alone win a tournament so don't get discouraged as long as your keeping a decent ROI. Keep studying and looking at content on the net about MTT's and keep working on your game. A good site with video's is gripesed.com Evan has a bunch of MTT and cash play videos on his site that are great content.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
There is no comparison between cash games and tournaments.
Both are in a different league altogether.
And most of the time a player is good in one or the other and rarely in both.

It’s just my opinion
Thanks

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here you can’t predict a strategy for a tournament, a lot depends on what kind of table you get and the players, because of this, the luck factor also plays a big role with the cards that come to you

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Can you unwittingly apply the same techniques that you apply in cash? or you can also play cash so much that when you try to play tournaments that can slow down your game a bit, you should be calmer and analyze very well the faults that you have in your game and I think you should try to lower the buy in of the tournaments that you play until you feel more comfortable playing in tournaments