Are tournaments with up to 4 hours of Late Registration Worth it?

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking at a $2 + $0.20 tournament that is $2k gtd. It has four hours of late registration.

Is it worth it try to enter one of these? That is a long time to hold off against players re entering. It's double most tournaments. Usually its about 2 hours of LR I believe.

If you were to enter, do you want to be there from the start or come in right as late registration ends? More chips versus being a lot closer to ITM from the start.

Worth it? Yes No?
Enter early or Enter late?

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depend on your needs.
4 hours too long for me. I prefer freezeout but play similar MTT too.

Take a look on structure. More likely blinds will be same as buy-in after 3.5 hours.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it. I can register in the end of late registration, if tournament is not very long. 5 minutes levels is my favorite

P

Pokersavvy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate the long late reg too. It can be rewarding if you have a great run. :)

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are terrible Is it some kind of Greed factor involved?

:smile:

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have had more success in entering earlier than later. When earlier you often find a player that has no problem rebuying doubling up your pocket AA. I also feel a bit more comfortable seeing the flop with smaller speculative hands like smaller suited pairs when there has only been a min 2bb raise and I am on 100+BBs. When I do join late I try to at least start with 50BBs and wait for a premo hand to shove.

I build my whole session around one MTTs. All the others must finish late reg before my main target.

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it.I can see having a few levels of late registration,because some people are running a few minutes late,i think thats fine.Some of these free rolls have late registration for 30 levels,what a joke.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe I can understand 4 hours of late registrations, if its a main event of some sort and run over 2 days. But for something as low as a 2,2$ tournament the more standard 2 hours is more than enough already. How long are the blind intervals, and how many BB is a starting stack, when late registration close? And which poker site is this?

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Maybe I can understand 4 hours of late registrations, if its a main event of some sort and run over 2 days. But for something as low as a 2,2$ tournament the more standard 2 hours is more than enough already. How long are the blind intervals, and how many BB is a starting stack, when late registration close? And which poker site is this?

ACR has lots of 3/4 and even 5 hr late reg. Often with small buy-ins but large GTD. So $2.20 for a GTD of $2000 would be a good example.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just scrolled through the lobby at ACR, and the most common structure seem to be 12 minute blind intervals with 15 levels of late registration, which amount to 180 minutes + the breaks. And yeah that is long compared to pokerstars and 888, where most micro MTTs have 10 minute blind intervals and somewhere around 110-130 minutes of late registration including breaks. It sure is a long time to play for a 2,2 or 3,3$ tournament, but I guess, you can play the turbos then :)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to repeat it. When you start a tournament from the start, it is always a plus for a prepared player. There is a great opportunity to conduct a large analysis of the opponents. The small blinds allow you to play more and make it much easier to increase your pot. The game time doesn't put pressure on you, you can easily, very calmly, gradually enter a long tournament. When you activate late registration, you have limited time to play. You can't play for long. You need to play very aggressively so that the blinds don't kill you. The table can be very bad for you. A lot of aggressive players or players with very large stacks and this will not give you any advantage for the game. When you start from the start, everyone is equal, no one has an advantage. this is a huge plus for an average and strong player. I don't like late registration. Of course, you may get lucky and get AA or KK, but paying a full buy-in and just waiting for a very strong hand is stupid.. OK you have a very strong hand, but with all in, there is no guarantee of winning, do you remember what all in and PokerStars are? yea? ))

B

baykoshkar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had more success in entering earlier than later.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played such a tournament. After that I always checked the late registration time. There are fewer people in the prizes than it should be. If I play a tournament with a long late registration, I make sure that it does not have knockouts.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 hours? That's too much, I think. If someone really want to join after 4 hours, he should pay for it to be fair, I think.

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately late registration seems to be a huge part of any online poker Site's Business Model. If it makes sense for the "House" it usually hurts the players.
I HATE LATE ENTRY...ok give folks a 15-30 min grace period if they are running late, that's it.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I find it’s best to avoid the Big Guaranteed Tourneys, they tend to have longer late registration so that the sites have a better chance of not having any overlays. I wouldn’t mind it so much if a lot of the tourneys didn’t have unlimited re-buys or re-entries as well.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion tournaments with up to 4 hours of late registration is not worth playing. I like tournaments that don't have long late registration so that the tournament does not last forever.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking at a $2 + $0.20 tournament that is $2k gtd. It has four hours of late registration.

Is it worth it try to enter one of these? That is a long time to hold off against players re entering. It's double most tournaments. Usually its about 2 hours of LR I believe.

If you were to enter, do you want to be there from the start or come in right as late registration ends? More chips versus being a lot closer to ITM from the start.

Worth it? Yes No?
Enter early or Enter late?

Good afternoon!
I prefer not to play tournaments with such huge late registrations.
About coming in sooner or later? Hmmmm
If the structure is smooth enough and this is not a KO tournament, then you can try to enter with a stack of 25-30 bb, for example.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally prefer to register early in the tournament. If I’m going to late register though, I tend to look at what the stack sizes will be once I do register to see if I should even consider doing so. I usually say no to less than 16-17 bbs.

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I usually avoid these.. by the time you enter you are severely short stacked and at a big disadvantage imo

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the level of tournament that I'm playing in

I think if you're playing in a high level buy in or special tournament that has long late registration that is part of the course to me it's unfortunate because in the back in the day you would maybe have an hour of late registration with this and two bed but now it seems before hours in the sites are trying to get every last penny that they can. if it's a like a low level buying they still have those long registration pairs I don't know if that is worth it or not. it all depends on what you think to me personally if it's a specialty term as much as I don't like it that's poor for the course so I'm not going to harp on just that. But for those small bonds I don't know if it's worth it or not cuz you get such a low rate on return that when you sit there and play for our tournament if you didn't have those long registration times it'd be almost over with. But that all depends on what you are willing to put up with me personally if it's a high stakes tournament or a high buy-in I could put up with it a lot better than a low buy-in but 4 hours to me is way too long way too long hour and a half I can see.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like long late registration period, one hour of late reg is to much for me and 4 hours is many times to much

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't choose those tournaments. I like the fastest. Or like the CC freerolls, which have no late registration.:cool::cool:

S

sharky132

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no

I don't think so cause you can come in so late and then win without having to sit long