Tournament tricks and pretending fish??

M

miku

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. I have never played a live poker tournament and I was wondering that would it be good to add some change to my game strategy and for example pretend to be a fish(which I am for sure but even bigger one). I mean situations like this:

Im oop and let's say I raise preflop with pocket pairs and get one caller, an experienced tournament player. Flop comes and I hit a set. Only small cards there, weakly connected, no flush draw whatsoever. I raise immediately pot, or little less, because the set isn't usually played like this(of course my opponent doesn't know what I have, but it can seem like I just don't wanna get called). Let's assume he calls. Turn brings A/K. Now if I donk bet very very little, like 1/5 of the pot, waiting first for a while, is it possible to get huge action from this more experienced player, when he isn't used to this kind of play. Or is this just awful. Just wondering and want to know what you guys think.

I know it can depend on the stage of the game but can this strategy be fitted in some of those stages?

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot live and ABC (play good cards, and bet your hands) poker wins. I tend to run into worse players live than online. Live is a very slow game, people get bored and start overplaying things like KJ, QJ, A/rag.

Live I see a lot of loose calls. I think getting cute with your hands will cost you chips. I've been called down with middle/bottom pair.

Depending how good your post-flop game is I think you need to be careful of TAG. I see a lot of people play too tight. Because the hands move slower, you will see less hands before the blinds move. 10 min blinds live can be like a turbo but a lifetime online. Lots of players will play very loose. You don't want to be one of them either.

You need to adjust to the speed of the game and find a style that works for you in the middle. It can often take 2-3 tournaments to get your legs under you.

Good luck to you.

M

miku

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot live and ABC (play good cards, and bet your hands) poker wins. I tend to run into worse players live than online. Live is a very slow game, people get bored and start overplaying things like KJ, QJ, A/rag.

Live I see a lot of loose calls. I think getting cute with your hands will cost you chips. I've been called down with middle/bottom pair.

Depending how good your post-flop game is I think you need to be careful of TAG. I see a lot of people play too tight. Because the hands move slower, you will see less hands before the blinds move. 10 min blinds live can be like a turbo but a lifetime online. Lots of players will play very loose. You don't want to be one of them either.

You need to adjust to the speed of the game and find a style that works for you in the middle. It can often take 2-3 tournaments to get your legs under you.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for your advices. I keep those in mind when I start my live poker tournament carreer.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So by betting pot on the flop here your opponent is only going to call you with his best hands so on the board you describe with no draws you are only getting called by sets and two pair hands. So by betting small on the turn you are giving up lots of value because he already has a hand he will likely continue with.