TOURNAMENT MISTAKES.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. Looking for some help with this problem of mine. Playing lots of tournaments these days and if I make a mistake and lose and big pot it's taking me to long to get over it emotionally. It's definitely a form of tilt and it doesn't happen if I lose a flip or get KK against AA it's just when I make mistakes. I keep going over it in my head and then I don't concentrate on the table. Do any of you have a tip on how to get over it fast? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
F

Fussy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you need to try to look past mistakes they are bound to happen, but if you make a big big mistake try to avoid it next time

dopeddrgn

dopeddrgn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The less mistakes one makes the more profitable they shall be. I have 3 years playing online poker under the belt and I have a good strategy on MTT and STT that serves my ITM% and ROI%'s very well. A strategy that most of the time dictates my actions ahead of time, so very ABC. When my action equals a loss by mistake (rare), I will review to see if I could have done it differently and will compare to a similar hand where I was right. I know playing robotic ABC is not for everyone but when I am beat by shear luck like runner runner or suck outs I very rarely let it get me down. If its bad luck beating you, your playing properly and this will begin to balance out as your skills improve.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I do this I use an Native Indian forgetting trick.... SMOKE A BIG FATTY!

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Recently I played in a $300 buy in live game. I was playing a great game for about 4 hours. Late registration ended after 3 hours. I was well above the average in chips and made 2 stupid mistakes which resulted in getting busted. I don't normally make such mistakes. I was scheduled to play in a $260 Tournament the next day. I was beating myself up so bad, I didn't play in the second tourney.

The way I dealt with it was to take a break.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with nats...time heals all wounds.

I

Icebear847

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John, get your paws on The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler read and apply, I still get a little tilty sometimes, but I am working on it. And try to always remember there will be another hand, another tournament, so what if this one hand/tournament/session didn't turn up all kittens and rainbows, there is always the next one.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more than one table at once, having bad luck on one table but having good luck o n the other one cancels it out. :)

P

pokervike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Control Pot size! I know that sounds elementary and counter productive as we think about chiping up in MTT's. Call less when others raise (unless it's a target or your making a stand) and steal more. The later seems super obvious and the torture of watching micro stakes players incorrectly apply this too early is blinding to watch BUT! You don't need to defend or attempt to steal (which both are a risk) until you get under 40bb. (minus bubble spots or playing with a huge pile) Playing for small pots and getting value from the village idiot is the name of the game! Sound to tight? I'm a vpip of 26 and quit calling with marginal hands vs. players where I can't be sure I'm stronger than they are to call. If you figure you 'call' as an action to see a flop with less than 50 bb you could find yourself in a hand that can eat 12-18 bb with some action from OOP who has decided he's going to showdown. That's over 25% of your stack! Pocket sixes don't sound nearly as important anymore when you think of it that way and should help you keep a few more in a barrel to give a strong IO hand a chance or to have a whopper when you do get dealt and hit hard.

GL

Last edited:
J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I played in a $300 buy in live game. I was playing a great game for about 4 hours. Late registration ended after 3 hours. I was well above the average in chips and made 2 stupid mistakes which resulted in getting busted. I don't normally make such mistakes. I was scheduled to play in a $260 Tournament the next day. I was beating myself up so bad, I didn't play in the second tourney.

The way I dealt with it was to take a break.

A break is a good idea but if I'm still in the tournament after the mistake I want to be able shake it off fast and come back and win 🙏.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John, get your paws on The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler read and apply, I still get a little tilty sometimes, but I am working on it. And try to always remember there will be another hand, another tournament, so what if this one hand/tournament/session didn't turn up all kittens and rainbows, there is always the next one.

Thanks. I'll have a look for it so. Hopefully I can download it 😁

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen, man! I often come across tilt. I fighting with it is very simple: I have one very favorite song, it reminds me of the victories. Just play a such song and include it each time, when you get on tilt.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys. Looking for some help with this problem of mine. Playing lots of tournaments these days and if I make a mistake and lose and big pot it's taking me to long to get over it emotionally. It's definitely a form of tilt and it doesn't happen if I lose a flip or get KK against AA it's just when I make mistakes. I keep going over it in my head and then I don't concentrate on the table. Do any of you have a tip on how to get over it fast? Thanks for any help.

I hear ya man. SUCKSSSSSSSSSSS when the 1 teeeeeeensy mistake just sets you back HUGE. Had it happen in my last tourney 14 mins near the end of day 1. I misplayed a hand not betting, wound up losing a big pot, ultimately busted and could have ended with above avg stack.

Its so important to stay calm and collective. 1 more hand can bring you back + more.

I struggle with it sometimes, but if you can manage to stay focused, youll play youre A game and thats all you can do.

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen, man! I often come across tilt. I fighting with it is very simple: I have one very favorite song, it reminds me of the victories. Just play a such song and include it each time, when you get on tilt.

Great tip. Thanks very much. Simple and helpful

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have also been using music to calm myself down after hard badbeats and tilts. At least for me it works well. A couple good songs and I am able to continue the tournament like nothing happened.

JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MISTAKES:
Look, in poker each decision counts because the number of decisions you're allowed to make is mostly dependant on your cards, especially in lower stake poker. So you must minimize your mistakes. But we're all human, and mistakes do happen.

DEALING WITH MISTAKES:
Remember, poker is only profitable if you calculate your odds, or take advantage of arising opporunities in your table. Make sure you have a goal in mind in each hand and divise a plan to reach your goal. You're only given a minute or so to create that plan, as each hand is different and each player is different, but construct a plan that yeilds you the most profit in a hand, without investing your whole stack unless justified otherwise by your hand. Think of each decision as an investment. As an investor it is strictly up to you to ensure that your emotions don't cloud your judgement and that your ends justify your means.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Along with the music, try learning different breathing techniques. There is one that I do, to get me in a calm state, and 3 breathes will normally get me back there.

F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im in the same boat as you man. Ive been trying to get to a final table for a while now. Been playing 600-1200 player tourneys online and I cash, but its always min or top 20 at best. The frustration just carries into my next tourney and I find myself making rash decisions to try and rush to the final table and I end up playing terrible. Poker has no room for emotions, the numbers should dictate your decisions. So now I'm doing stuff like this. Reading and studying more so I can be present and in the moment when my next tourney begins.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that preflop all - in do not always justify their expectations (even with monsters). I like to see the flop for cheap. And if I'm hooked on it, I can go all - in (fit any dro and also top pair). If I go preflop all - in, it has to be the following condition: against me there are not more than 2 players and I have pocket monsters (KK, AA, AKs, AKo, AQo, AQs).

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. Some great tips again. Learning lots from all of you. The music is probably best for me. Thanks again. I've a question or 2 about kq I need to ask but that's for another time. 👍👍

Y

YtM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play each pot one at time. There is no point on dwelling on the past, it isn't going to help you.

L

lazerbeam84

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just try to keep a sense of humour. We tend to always remember those river beats but we tend to forget that three hands ago we just totally hammered someone else on the river.

B

batagliador

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes it is better to be away from the game for a while and when you return you will be better

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that preflop all - in do not always justify their expectations (even with monsters). I like to see the flop for cheap. And if I'm hooked on it, I can go all - in (fit any dro and also top pair). If I go preflop all - in, it has to be the following condition: against me there are not more than 2 players and I have pocket monsters (KK, AA, AKs, AKo, AQo, AQs).

Try "You are the champion" by Queen.