Tournament Mindset

C

cybro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

I play micro MTTs regulary for about an year and regularly win, I ship at least 1 tourney evry 2-3 days when not on downswing, last week shipped 4 tournaments in a single day. But, the problem is as soon as I hit a big score I start playing games which are out of my BR and then I go broke very often.

How to control this and get in a healthy mindset?

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

You must get some discipline to play
The mindset is very important for sure but establish and focus on some rules
and you will do better
Rgds

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey,

I play micro MTTs regulary for about an year and regularly win, I ship at least 1 tourney evry 2-3 days when not on downswing, last week shipped 4 tournaments in a single day. But, the problem is as soon as I hit a big score I start playing games which are out of my BR and then I go broke very often.

How to control this and get in a healthy mindset?
when you're not in a downswing, you ship an mtt every 2-3 days? i don't know if pro players can even say that.

the question is, if you're such a solid winner at the stakes, winning every 2-3 days, why would you move up to stakes that can bust you so easily? i mean, you're already shipping an mtt every 2-3 days for solid bankroll boosts. so, why not stick with that or maybe jump to the next buy-in level instead making huge buy-in leaps? you can still move up in stakes while maintaining good bankroll management.

C

cybro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you're not in a downswing, you ship an mtt every 2-3 days? i don't know if pro players can even say that.

the question is, if you're such a solid winner at the stakes, winning every 2-3 days, why would you move up to stakes that can bust you so easily? i mean, you're already shipping an mtt every 2-3 days for solid bankroll boosts. so, why not stick with that or maybe jump to the next buy-in level instead making huge buy-in leaps? you can still move up in stakes while maintaining good bankroll management.

Thanks for the reply, I totally agree with that, these touneys I have been playing are very micro and with less people like 100-200 field, lot of fishes being panic with JTo oop.

The problem is with mindset I think, need to be more desciplined and to put more volume. Some suggestions around self descipline?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you look around in this forum, a lot of players have the same problem, even though there are loads of free information about bankroll management and the theory behind it. So as the old saying goes "you can drag the horse to the water hole, but you can not force it to drink".

At the end of the day, you are the best person to answer, what exactly it is, that lures you so much about higher buyin tournaments, that you are unable to apply sound bankroll management. As you describe it, I guess, it could be called a kind of winners tilt, since it seem, that it happen, when you feel the rush after winning a big price.

And in that case maybe part of the solution is to remind yourself, that you did not mainly win the tournament, because you were better than all the other players. Maybe there was a donkey or two, who donated his stack to you, but most of all you won, because you won a bunch of "flips", and usually you even won some of them with the worst hand. Or you coolered someone by having AA, when they had AK etc.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a word discipline, play the limits that your bankroll allows you, just that, if there is a big difference between playing micro, low or high buy-in it is the quality of players but if you are able to win 2-3 micro tournaments in one day That means that you are more than capable of playing at any level, so perhaps the main problem is that you recognize that you are playing outside the limits of your bankroll and this causes additional pressure that causes you to make mistakes. my advice would be to be disciplined with your bankroll and realize that poker is not a 100mt race it is a marathon so you must be patient

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need experience in the game. Play card freerolls regularly. Try to get into it. Over time, you will have clear discipline. You will need to collect the minimum payout. You will try to build up your stack and get to the final table.

C

cybro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just a word discipline, play the limits that your bankroll allows you, just that, if there is a big difference between playing micro, low or high buy-in it is the quality of players but if you are able to win 2-3 micro tournaments in one day That means that you are more than capable of playing at any level, so perhaps the main problem is that you recognize that you are playing outside the limits of your bankroll and this causes additional pressure that causes you to make mistakes. my advice would be to be disciplined with your bankroll and realize that poker is not a 100mt race it is a marathon so you must be patient

Those are the words I needed most.
And yes, I realise its descipline that I lack the most. Started working on it from today itself. Hope I am gonna leave the past behind and crush the games I do with proper BRM. Thanks a lot for responding.

C

cybro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you look around in this forum, a lot of players have the same problem, even though there are loads of free information about bankroll management and the theory behind it. So as the old saying goes "you can drag the horse to the water hole, but you can not force it to drink".

At the end of the day, you are the best person to answer, what exactly it is, that lures you so much about higher buyin tournaments, that you are unable to apply sound bankroll management. As you describe it, I guess, it could be called a kind of winners tilt, since it seem, that it happen, when you feel the rush after winning a big price.

And in that case maybe part of the solution is to remind yourself, that you did not mainly win the tournament, because you were better than all the other players. Maybe there was a donkey or two, who donated his stack to you, but most of all you won, because you won a bunch of "flips", and usually you even won some of them with the worst hand. Or you coolered someone by having AA, when they had AK etc.

That's it. Thanks for helping me get a clearer mindset around winning. There is a lot to study and a lot to play on the path to greatness. I appreciate you for suggesting a solution to it. Exactly thats what happens, there are days when I flop duces quads and crack aces set and those days are certainly luck based. I am working on improving the game and will keep the suggestions in mind, always. :)

C

cybro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are playing multiple tables, try changing one of the micro tournaments with a higher stake game. Playing the higher stake game at the same time, you might forget which is the bigger game, just playing your regular game across the board.

I think changing your game to suit the stakes is your main problem. You need to play with the same confidence, the same aggression.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to pay attention to your cash balance. Set a goal to play a certain number of tournaments on your limit without being distracted by numbers.:)

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome and good luck. I would suggest to find a role model with a proper mindset, charisma and discipline. It can be someone you know or a celebrity, professional athlete maybe.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you regularly win certain types of tournaments, why leave them? A big win gives you a reason to switch to other bets. But remember how hard it got. Many players have built their bankroll playing freerolls, but continue to participate in them regardless of other games. Make a schedule of your tournaments. For example, you participate in 1 new tournament with good bets against 3 or 4 tournaments with your usual bets once a day.