Tournament late registration.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you think about late registering to tournaments ?
Few weeks ago, i late registered at the last possible moment to the 1.1 hot tournament at pokerstars, and ended up becoming 3rd, managed to get 151$.
It is quite frustrating to play for an 1-2 hours and fall out without geting nothing.
While you max late reg, if you win couple all-ins, you are ITM.
So what you think ? Could you possible print money even if you will max late reg to every tournament ?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't like tournaments with very long late registrations. Half an hour is ideal for me. Those players who are simply late will have time to register.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like tournaments with very long late registrations. Half an hour is ideal for me. Those players who are simply late will have time to register.

Yes bro, but on the one hand you can kind of get into ITM easier and faster, and with a better prepared mind:D

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to register before a tournament even start, because I like to prepare myself before hand. I don't particularly like the tournaments that have such a long late registration, but I have done wat you have said also just to see and most times Im out anyhow because my starting stack is just too small against others by that time and the blinds are pretty high also.

I think some people prefer to show up at the end of late registration, they probably have more experience or a bit of luck.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to register before a tournament even start, because I like to prepare myself before hand. I don't particularly like the tournaments that have such a long late registration, but I have done wat you have said also just to see and most times Im out anyhow because my starting stack is just too small against others by that time and the blinds are pretty high also.

I think some people prefer to show up at the end of late registration, they probably have more experience or a bit of luck.

Yes bro I agree, but in my opinion that makes the registration late, it has more focus because your mind is more rested than the mind of the opponent that started since the beginning of the tournament. Thank you very much for such a beautiful phrase!

Last edited:
GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes bro I agree, but in my opinion that makes the registration late, it has more focus because your mind is more rested than the mind of the opponent that started since the beginning of the tournament. Thank you very much for such a beautiful phrase!

Your opinion makes sense that your mind would be fresh. It would also waste less if your time; to play hard then either your in or out much more quickly. I think I would need more experience and I’ll keep giving it a go at micros. I guess you would play it like an “All in or Fold” at first :). Good luck and take care out there!!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'll have a higher winrate by registering at the start to take max advantage of deep stacked play against opponents happy to donate a stack.

But if it's a tournament at the lower end of your buyin range and you just want to play, there's nothing wrong with doing that and just having a slightly lower edge in that game :)

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It works for me sometimes, but I know good players who can be profitable only by registering at the last minute.
I prefer to be in the tournament from the beginning to try to win as many chips as possible, or else not to play tournaments with late registration.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think late registering with 20-30 bb is okay but I've seen a lot of tournaments that have late reg all the way until 5 bb. I don't know how entering with 5 bb can possibly be profitable unless you are literally at the bubble.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Totally agree late reg 20 to 30 bb is my ideal reg if going late, but i prefer to get in at the start and try to get in the top 10/top20 early

But it does prove taxing on the mind, sometimes i lead for hours only to snap later on n get booted just b4 the bubble 3 to 4 bad calls or bad beats

Last edited by a moderator:
florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few weeks ago, i late registered at the last possible moment to the 1.1 hot tournament at pokerstars, and ended up becoming 3rd, managed to get 151$.
It is quite frustrating to play for an 1-2 hours and fall out without geting nothing.
So what you think ? Could you possible print money even if you will max late reg to every tournament ?

I think the same, late registration tournaments are very boring, ideally no longer than 30 minutes. Although entering when it starts you can have an advantage.:cool::cool:

Y

yoshi352000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more luck and less skill, if you're not as good than hopping late can be beneficial.

I don't like much of late registration, it's quite frustrating to wait 3 or 4 hours sometimes before registration even closes.

You can build a stack quicker since you are buying in short, but can also bust out that first hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you feel that way, you are better off playing smaller events, which dont last as long. Like maybe the 1$ 45 man SnG. Sure its possible to get lucky and win a tournament, even you entered in the last moment. But its also possible to win a million dollar in the lottery, and that does not mean, lottery tickets have a positive expectation. As Collin Moshman say, you are giving up a ton of ROI, if you enter with a 10-15BB stack at the end of late registration.

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! For me, the optimal late registration in is 1 hour. I try to avoid tournaments with a very long registration period of more than 2 hours. Several times I entered the tournament in the last minutes of late registration, when I was given only 10 blinds. In this case, everything depends on luck. If you are not afraid to lose your buy-in, then you can try it.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I am a serial late register mtt player, I almost never play at the start if I can avoid it. It works on pokerstars for me 2 double ups and a couple of steals here and there and you are itm most times.

As with many things late registering comes with many pros and cons. For me the pros outweigh the cons most times. This will be different from player to player.

On Pokerstars if you look well enough there are mtts on some days that you do not even a double to make itm a couple of raise and take it and you itm.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll have a higher winrate by registering at the start to take max advantage of deep stacked play against opponents happy to donate a stack.

But if it's a tournament at the lower end of your buyin range and you just want to play, there's nothing wrong with doing that and just having a slightly lower edge in that game :)

Yes bro I agree with your opinion, registration at the beginning of the tournament you have more WinRate and can gather more chips, but the late registration helps you to be more psychologically prepared for the game, because there was no stress at the beginning:D

I think late registering with 20-30 bb is okay but I've seen a lot of tournaments that have late reg all the way until 5 bb. I don't know how entering with 5 bb can possibly be profitable unless you are literally at the bubble.

I think that depending on the tournament, late registration becomes profitable, especially when it is close to the bubble as you said!

Totally agree late reg 20 to 30 bb is my ideal reg if going late, but i prefer to get in at the start and try to get in the top 10/top20 early

I think it's a good strategy to also try to reach the TOP20 of the tournament, so you can conserve your focus and energy for the end of the tournament or even when you reach the bubble.:)

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think late registrations arent very good. I always made losses with those buy ins but its up to you. I'll never signup for late registration again except its 1-10 minutes in :D

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think latereg is important, because sometimes it takes time to find the right tournament and sometimes there isnt the right starttime for everybody so u are able to joyn a bit later and have also chances with a smaller stack but u in the game ;)

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to enter a tournament at the very beginning of the game when the players have 100bb because you can double or triple the stack and play the pot peacefully until the final table with a stack advantage.

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing from the very beginning of the tour. More chances in the game. Who comes with late registration

usually go to the bank. Here you can also increase your winnings with a good card.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But it does prove taxing on the mind, sometimes i lead for hours only to snap later on n get booted just b4 the bubble 3 to 4 bad calls or bad beats

Yes Bro, I like the late registration for that reason, the person enters more prepared for the game and psychologically more unemployed

It's more luck and less skill, if you're not as good than hopping late can be beneficial.

I don't like much of late registration, it's quite frustrating to wait 3 or 4 hours sometimes before registration even closes.

You can build a stack quicker since you are buying in short, but can also bust out that first hand.

Yes bro I agree that the person has to be a little lucky when registering late, but I think more about my performance near the bubble than at the beginning of the tournament, in my opinion the moment when you extract more chips is when blinds are high, and using that against thigh and shortstack players is a good plan:D

If you feel that way, you are better off playing smaller events, which dont last as long. Like maybe the 1$ 45 man SnG. Sure its possible to get lucky and win a tournament, even you entered in the last moment. But its also possible to win a million dollar in the lottery, and that does not mean, lottery tickets have a positive expectation. As Collin Moshman say, you are giving up a ton of ROI, if you enter with a 10-15BB stack at the end of late registration.

I agree with your opinion, but there is a certain difference between betting on the lottery and betting on poker, on the lottery you depend 100% on luck, on poker you only depend on 30% of luck, 70% is statistics and gameplay! In addition, I won't be losing a ton of ROI just because I didn't start at the beginning, because in reality the ROI at the beginning is very low in the middle and at the end of the tournament is where the biggest ROI rises!:)

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes a lot of luck to get a good stack on late registration. I prefer to enter the tournament on time.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Many people use late registration to quickly enter the tournament. Indeed, a few successful allins can help you get to the dough. By the way, congratulations 3rd place is a great success. Try this option in a more expensive tournament. The prize may be higher.