Tournament Gaurantee Vs. Buy-in

Z

ZeroThirtySeven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker in Pennsylvania is fairly new and being able to play in many different types of tournaments on any given day had me thinking about the best way to pick which would be the best tournament to play.

After Skill and bankroll is taken into account and there is no overlay, how do you consider if the Guarantee is a better value when compared to the buy in.

Is a $50 buyin with a $25000 Guarantee better than a $100 buyin with a $25000 Guarantee?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you consider guarantees as a overlay? Less people in the guaranteed tournament, bigger the prize pool. Most guaranteed are re-buys with a large time frame for registration. For me, it would come down to the format and a buyin within BRM. Forums have overlays and a short registration.

My favorite back in the day, when traffic was heavy, were the short table knock outs. They were fun with the bigger opening ranges and the aggressive play for the bounty.

Back to the question of $50 or $100 buyin, what are the top three payouts for different price of the buyin. From there, it would be a simple choice. Sure you have factored in BRM as well.

Z

ZeroThirtySeven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say, for BRM, I have $4000 to play with and both tournaments are moderate in terms of my skill difficulty and both tournaments payout to 10% of the field, then the $100 one would be the better tournament value wise?

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best tournament value is in an overlay. It's a straight division of the guaranteed $ by the players.

Simple example with $200 guaranteed and 100 players each person has, all other things being equal, a $2 expectation by participating in this tournament. So if the buyin is anything less than $2 then that would be an overlay and you will have a positive expectation by playing in this tournament.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With poker MTT, the payout is for about 10% to 30% of the field. Payout structure is what you're looking for with a guaranteed tournament. Less people playing, the top three have a bigger percentage of the prize pool.

Look at all factors of the guaranteed type. Question asked, was regarding guaranteed type tournaments. Are they reaching the guaranteed prize pool? If so, no value between the different buyins. Bigger entry fee, bigger prize pool, risk verse reward.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online Poker in Pennsylvania is fairly new and being able to play in many different types of tournaments on any given day had me thinking about the best way to pick which would be the best tournament to play.

After Skill and Bankroll is taken into account and there is no overlay, how do you consider if the Guarantee is a better value when compared to the buy in.

Is a $50 buyin with a $25000 Guarantee better than a $100 buyin with a $25000 Guarantee?

Generally the smaller the buyin the softer the field will be. Generally the more players in the field the softer the field will be (because there are a limited number of pros but an unlimited number of recreational players).

But when the gap is between $50 and $100 you'll typically get a similar skill level (especially if rebuys are allowed).

The bigger buyin is more winnable simply because you need to beat fewer entrants to win.

So if you're looking for the best odds of winning play the bigger on, if you're looking for the highest ROI play the smaller one, but the difference will be minimal :2in1:

Z

ZeroThirtySeven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best tournament value is in an overlay. It's a straight division of the guaranteed $ by the players.

Are they reaching the guaranteed prize pool?

pokerstars PA is exceeding the guarantee by a lot. The $50 buy-in with the $20000 Guarantee ended up have a prize pool of $36000 but the end of registration.

The last series they ran a few months ago they ended up increasing all the Guarantees in the middle of it.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had doubts about which to play, I would play them both, and see which one suits me better. I know good BRM doesn’t allow playing out his borders but why don’t give a try sometimes. Negreanu wouldn’t be what he is today, if he didn’t give a shot in higher stakes than hes BRM allows

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose my tournaments taking into account the number of participants and I look especially if the late registration is going to last too long. because I don't like the game being too long.