Tough spot wt JJ

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 800-1,600 100

I make it 3.2k on cutoff. button calls. everyone else folds.

flop J-10-3 rainbow. I make it half pot. Villain calls.

turn 9. I make it half pot again. he reraises 2x. What should I do now?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have top set, your opponent has a possible straight but no flush. Most people would jam here. I would call to see the river depending of course on stack sizes.

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 800-1,600 100

Call

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Top set JJ

Hi
I had a similiar situation yesterday in a tournament
I had JK os last BB all in
Opponent calls with 10 pair
Flop J27
Turn 9
River 8 Knocked out thanks to pokerstars Runner Runner

Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

M

milo79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.

JJ is Not my favourite Hand to Play preflop. But in this case u can call with top set depending Stack size of Course

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the information you have from the opponent, if you do not have any, it's better to let go.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call looking for FH if pot odds and implied odds are correct.Id fold if he bets more than 50% of entire river pot.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this was gonna be one of those preflop multiway all in calls here deep in a tourney but this is a relatively easy spot with jacks based on the stack sizes. It's a call or a fold, more often than not in this spot it is a call.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 800-1,600 100

You would at the minimum call, your pot committed. If you are putting your opponent on a straight here, you could still pair the board.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need more information. What are stack sizes ? What stage of the tournament ? What do we know about the villain ? I'll provide an opinion without those pieces of information. If villain has KQ, he has made a straight. I think he could definitely be making this move with top pair + a draw with something like KJ/QJ or even with JT/AJ. Besides that, your set could turn into a full house if the board pairs. So, with the limited information provided, I'd probably call or shove depending on stack size.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We kinda need to know how deep the stacks are at this point to know best course of action. I would advise just calling down, and letting him bluff off his combo draws and worse hands like 2 pair. Depending on how deep you are will change what I think is best, as if you are shorter stacked then just jamming the turn is probably best .

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call in that spot. Even if he does have a straight you still have 10 out of 46 cards to make a boat or 4 of a kind.

Rusel2302

Rusel2302

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to call, to throw off already probably there is no sense

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 800-1,600 100

Many competent players are advised to analyze the game of villains in the spirit: "What would I do in his place."
If this villain showed an ad-hoc game throughout the game, then you can consider him equal to you and evaluate his actions from the point of view of your strategy.
What would I do in place of a villain?
if I have a KQ, I will call your half-pot bet. Because I have the nuts, I'm not afraid of the imaginary full-house. But if you bet 1/3 of the pot, I would have raised 2.5-3x.
If I had 78, I would call all three streets. But on the river I wouldn’t play the stack if the effective stacks were huge.
What hands would I raise on the turn?
33, TT, 99 to protect yourself from hands like AK AQ KJ QJ QT
J8 8T can still miss something.
I want to note that I never raise 2x

On his side, the game on the turn looks like a semi-bluff. I am in such cases, if I don’t have the exact readings that the villain only plays with the nuts, I will call if the effective stacks are big and shove if I’m already tied to the bank.

I am not a professional, so you shouldn’t perceive me as a competent player:)

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes that is a tough spot . I think I would have to call . It's possible that he has 2 pr. and you still have 10 outs if he hit the straight . I don't think I could fold top set in that spot . How did it turn out?