Too many chips too early?

C

clutchbro500

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there such a thing, to many chips too early in a tourny? More often then not i have the chip lead early,but when the blinds start getting high then it seems like I am always playing from behind and trying to catch up. Which leads me to get knocked out early after cashing and rarely making it to 1st place. Any suggestions/criticisms/advice?

Shawn J.:confused:

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally, if I get a lot of chips early in the early stages of the game, then this is not good)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about playing smart when you have an early chip lead. If you continue to play every hand and being super erratic, then you can easily lose the lead and get knocked out just as quick.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You can never have too many chips.

If you don't feel comfortable by playing more LAG and putting more pressure on the other players just play your normal game, and see the extra chips as an insurance or buffer what gives you extra chances to go far in the tourney.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all about your mindset as having a lot of chips can make you call lighter in certain spots I've done this myself. Try to play your natural game and stay disciplined. I'd rather have the chip lead than grinding away with a short stack obviously. it's up to you to make the best of it

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play your game dont make calls just because you have lots of chips and dont change your game be smart.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nice question/thread starter. I agree w/Ian; getting in the right mindset is key to properly executing a nice early stack. There are a few ways to go about playing one, this will also depend on the players at your table, re-buy/re-entry options, possibly even the time of day and/or site or brick-n-mortar.
Once these other variables are considered and factored in all you have to do is dodge bad luck, which seems to be the one big "hole" in my game. Yet, I digress.
The one drawback about having a big or the big stack early on is that all the other good players will come after you. All 3-bets and shoves, at this point, should be looked at as some player is trying to double-up through you. Nice, easy reads should help us to the $.:thrasher:

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep playing solid poker when you are chip leader. I see players getting a lot of chips early in the tourney and start playing every single hand no matter they have trash.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this sometimes too. However, you just need to maybe adjust your play a little. For example, if you were loose at first tighten up a little in the middle. If you're playing too tight too long, however, you'll get run over. So, pick your spots with each hand. Play dynamically and this should help. Always keep your opponents guessing when you've got the lead. Good luck! :)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Keep playing solid poker when you are chip leader. I see players getting a lot of chips early in the tourney and start playing every single hand no matter they have trash.

Frequently this is because that is how they acquired the chips in the first place & bingo poker is all they know.

T

TRUESHOBA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the number of chips is an indicator of the level of the player.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahahahahaha ))) I don't know, but I also )))

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good players (not me) are very patient in the early stages and become more aggressive later on. You might be playing aggressively and busting or accumulating a lot of chips early, and then playing too tight in the later stages and letting your early chip advantage being consumed mainly by posting blinds and antes. You could try being more aggressive in the later stages and see what that does to you winnings, if you make more money like that or not. Good luck at the tables!

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about your mindset as having a lot of chips can make you call lighter in certain spots I've done this myself. Try to play your natural game and stay disciplined. I'd rather have the chip lead than grinding away with a short stack obviously. it's up to you to make the best of it
yeah I agree with sometimes we tend to make slightly looser calls with a big stack , I would always choose early chip lead in any mtt , I find it very easy to lead from the front and have won some mtt in this way easily , less risk , I have unfortunately been "blessed" with playing a lot of mtt from the bottom for say 90% of the match and only chipping up on the last 2 tables perhaps, much harder this way and requiring more effort and focus , I say early chip lead any time :)

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like very much that situation when i'm chipleader in early stages because i can afford to see many flops

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every hand should be played with the same mindset. with a large stack you can always open your range a little bit and put more pressure on the smaller stacks.

N

No Shit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No Shit

You think too much then you will have issues, Just play like always and if have first place then you can just play with only great hands and a lot more folds as your in first.

N

No Shit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You remind me of the pool game about too complicated so he doesn't play at all, don't thin too much it's still just a game.

eddy78

eddy78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ITM

once you rich the itm its time to change gear and go for the glory. aggression is the key to success, prime hands are rare to get and wait for them, can cost a big chunk of you stack, so work on steal and re-steal. specially against the big and small blinds and don't get scared to shove or re-shove when you got the filling that you are ahead or can make your opponent fold middle strength hands.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, there is nothing bad about having a lot of chips early. It puts you at an advantage.

What may be an issue for you is either feeling the need maintain that lead in the game and put yourself in bad spots or the need to protect your chips too much and not take advantage of profitable situations.

Focus more on making the best decisions for each hand or street and not as much where you rank in the tournament. For the most part, you can let that take care of itself.

Poker Chips - History of Chips