Tired of waiting for games? 9 max turbo SNG

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ladies and gentlemen,

Are you tired of waiting for games? Let me introduce you to 9 max turbo SNGs.

They fill up as fast as you want them, any time of night. Rake is kind of gross, but the same as other micro MTT sngs on pokerstars these days.

I've started with the 50 cent 9max turbo SNG on Pokerstars. Man, are these every fishy. The variance is MASSIVE. I should be able to beat this, that would be awesome.

I mostly play during the night where PS has around ~23,000 players. I'm just thrilled to find that these fill up any time of the day. Man, if I could stay completely off tilt from the horrendous play and turn a profit that would really be something.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ladies and gentlemen,

Are you tired of waiting for games? Let me introduce you to 9 max turbo SNGs.

They fill up as fast as you want them, any time of night. Rake is kind of gross, but the same as other micro MTT sngs on Pokerstars these days.

I've started with the 50 cent 9max turbo SNG on Pokerstars. Man, are these every fishy. The variance is MASSIVE. I should be able to beat this, that would be awesome.

I mostly play during the night where PS has around ~23,000 players. I'm just thrilled to find that these fill up any time of the day. Man, if I could stay completely off tilt from the horrendous play and turn a profit that would really be something.

Yes, you're right on that. 9 or 6-max SNGs filling pretty fast at PS at any time of the day.
I'm glad that you're enjoying to play 50c, but I have to note, that by its structure they're kinda unique and it doesn't make sense to master them. In fact it's the only one limit, where there are no antes before 7 lvl. From $1.50 and any limits higher there are antes from the 1st level. It's very significant for how do you play them.

So I strongly recommend you to pass $0.50 ASAP and move forward and focus on $1.50 with a standard structure, if you approaching to master yourself as SNG-Grinder. (Still, it's important to play them only if your bankroll can afford it.)

Also, you can reduce variance by playing regular SNGs with 10 min blind levels (only from $1.50 at PokerStars). Simply because if your postflop is better than of most of your villains you will have an edge and could outplay them reducing variance by that.
In Turbos and especially Hypers, you basically need to be good at ICM only, because everyone become a short stack much faster and you need to know Pushbot tables very good. Playing faster games also means you need to have way much more of them to beat the variance.

Good luck with your SNG journey!

Last edited:
rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the helpful reply. I did not realize that .50 was unique in blind/ante structure. Can you recommend any video series (preferably on youtube) or .pdfs that you've found helpful for starting the journey at 1.50 turbo 9 man and moving up?

Yes, you're right on that. 9 or 6-max SNGs filling pretty fast at PS at any time of the day.
I'm glad that you're enjoying to play 50c, but I have to note, that by its structure they're kinda unique and it doesn't make sense to master them. In fact it's the only one limit, where there are no antes before 7 lvl. From $1.50 and any limits higher there are antes from the 1st level. It's very significant for how do you play them.

So I strongly recommend you to pass $0.50 ASAP and move forward and focus on $1.50 with a standard structure, if you approaching to master yourself as SNG-Grinder. (Still, it's important to play them only if your bankroll can afford it.)

Also, you can reduce variance by playing regular SNGs with 10 min blind levels (only from $1.50 at PokerStars). Simply because if your postflop is better than of most of your villains you will have an edge and could outplay them reducing variance by that.
In Turbos and especially Hypers, you basically need to be good at ICM only, because everyone become a short stack much faster and you need to know Pushbot tables very good. Playing faster games also means you need to have way much more of them to beat the variance.

Good luck with your SNG journey!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the helpful reply. I did not realize that .50 was unique in blind/ante structure. Can you recommend any video series (preferably on youtube) or .pdfs that you've found helpful for starting the journey at 1.50 turbo 9 man and moving up?

That’s great you’re enjoying the 9man games!

If you have any questions on the strategy, feel free to post in the AMA that Katie Dozier and I do which is a Stickied thread right here in the Tournament poker forum. Good luck!

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That’s great you’re enjoying the 9man games!

If you have any questions on the strategy, feel free to post in the AMA that Katie Dozier and I do which is a Stickied thread right here in the Tournament poker forum. Good luck!

@rj_montana, It's amazing to see, that actually my favorite SNG Expert, Collin Moshman just wrote here before I could answer you, so I definitely recommend his Book, his and Katie's Thread here on Cardschat Forum: Ask Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier About Sit ‘n Goes!
And also don't forget to visit Collin's live MTT & SNG coachings, every Wednesday on Twitch and watch recordings here.

Also, even though you're playing micro limits, I highly recommend starting working on your game with special tools - poker calculators, analyzing your hands, where you struggled to figure the right decision. Most of them are cost money for license, but some are free to start with. For example, you can work on your understanding of ICM with SimpleNash or ICM Trainer. They are both totally free. The only thing need is to register with e-mail on the websites. Also, Equilab is good one and also free.

If you want to try some advanced ICM calc, you could install ICMizer, it gives you one calculation per day for free.

When your bankroll could afford it, I'd recommend also to buy Flopzila ($25 full license) to work on your post-flop game and also get some HUD to gain more information on your villains to help you choosing better decisions and making your after game analyzes much more comfortable.

I hope it helps. Feel free to ask me about anything in detail. :)

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again for the response. Since posting this thread I've switched to $1.50 6-max hypers. I was inspired by watching Parker Talbot stream high stakes hyper turbos on YouTube. I've also started using many of the tools you've listed - ICM Trainer, Equilab and the trial version of ICMIZER. I'm not sure if the 6-hand partypoker setting on ICM Trainer is a good fit for the 6-max hypers on Stars. I would love to have ICMIZER on a full license and the SNG Trainer tool but that will have to wait for now. I've also started using Hand2Note HUD. It is so cool to paste a spot you were unsure about from Hand2Note into ICMIZER and get a breakdown. I've always struggled with post-flop play so I'll pick up Flopzilla soon.

I was amazed to see how wide of a range these ICM tools recommend shoving from SB into BB. And literally any two cards into the 2nd place guy when you're the chipleader on the money bubble.

I've been playing poker casually now for a long time, always losing but not by a large margin. It's crazy how long we can stick to our "regular game" when these types of tools are available at no cost to anyone. Especially because we'd never take that kind of approach to anything else in life - we recognize that in work or school that we have to put in the time to get the promotion or make the grade. Excited to (hopefully) finally turn things around soon!!

@rj_montana, It's amazing to see, that actually my favorite SNG Expert, Collin Moshman just wrote here before I could answer you, so I definitely recommend his Book, his and Katie's Thread here on Cardschat Forum: Ask Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier About Sit ‘n Goes!
And also don't forget to visit Collin's live MTT & SNG coachings, every Wednesday on Twitch and watch recordings here.

Also, even though you're playing micro limits, I highly recommend starting working on your game with special tools - poker calculators, analyzing your hands, where you struggled to figure the right decision. Most of them are cost money for license, but some are free to start with. For example, you can work on your understanding of ICM with SimpleNash or ICM Trainer. They are both totally free. The only thing need is to register with e-mail on the websites. Also, Equilab is good one and also free.

If you want to try some advanced ICM calc, you could install ICMizer, it gives you one calculation per day for free.

When your bankroll could afford it, I'd recommend also to buy Flopzila ($25 full license) to work on your post-flop game and also get some HUD to gain more information on your villains to help you choosing better decisions and making your after game analyzes much more comfortable.

I hope it helps. Feel free to ask me about anything in detail. :)

Top 10 Games