Tips on avoiding the blow-up?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played in a Satellite for the Sunday Millions yesterday and survived a short stack all in to make it down to 22. Only 20 would advance.

But then with 128k in chips and 30k/60k blinds approaching me in the next few hands, I panicked and called off with A7o versus an UTG raiser who went all in pre flop (with AJo). My all in would have been fine had I opened and bet all in, but I called off all my chips with this hand which is not fine.

I am still not sure what the heck I was thinking. I had avoided calling a weak Ace the whole tournament only to blow up here. I feel terrible about this. I know better. I would have felt better about myself had I blinded out. I may have made it had I just waited and risked blinding out.

I dont know what gets into me in certain high pressure circumstances but I sometimes fail to consider all my options and think straight. I end up making a hasty emotionally based decision rather than the most logical one and crack under pressure.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your cool and your head on straight to avoid these types of blow ups in high pressure scenarios ?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't fault yourself...

You can't fault yourself if you played a tournament with tight Ace management (tossing the junk ace hands), then at the end, you were pretty much UTG, shoved with a weak ace, other guy had a better ace, you lost the flip. But you made the right move.
Who is to say you would never see a decent card in the hands remaining, given your stack?
How often do you play an entire tournament with discipline, all the way to close to ITM, only to have it come down to a coin flip? Your decision to shove with weak ace can be debated, but I think you made the right move, others may have different ideas; its an open forum...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I did the exact same thing back when I played regularly on Stars. These kinds of things will get better with time and experience. I doubt that you will forget how you almost got through to your target tournament except for a weak ace call.

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a Satellite for the Sunday Millions yesterday and survived a short stack all in to make it down to 22. Only 20 would advance.

But then with 128k in chips and 30k/60k blinds approaching me in the next few hands, I panicked and called off with A7o versus an UTG raiser who went all in pre flop (with AJo). My all in would have been fine had I opened and bet all in, but I called off all my chips with this hand which is not fine.

I am still not sure what the heck I was thinking. I had avoided calling a weak Ace the whole tournament only to blow up here. I feel terrible about this. I know better. I would have felt better about myself had I blinded out. I may have made it had I just waited and risked blinding out.

I dont know what gets into me in certain high pressure circumstances but I sometimes fail to consider all my options and think straight. I end up making a hasty emotionally based decision rather than the most logical one and crack under pressure.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your cool and your head on straight to avoid these types of blow ups in high pressure scenarios ?

Sorry to hear that man, that would be heartbreaking.

I have done the same thing on so many occasions.

I'll play disciplined and make all the right moves than get close to the money and act irrational.

Happened the other day, 99 got paid I wentout in 103th and i had a top 15 stack and got involved when I shouldn't have.

1 suggestion I can make is to take little breaks, don't be afraid to sitout now and than.

Also Maybe try smoking a doob or drinking some rum and pepsi. lol

Like another guy said. Time usually will help you to get better on these decisions.

If you play on ACR what is your username just curious.

Goodluck in the future brother

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to hear that man, that would be heartbreaking.

I have done the same thing on so many occasions.

I'll play disciplined and make all the right moves than get close to the money and act irrational.

Happened the other day, 99 got paid I wentout in 103th and i had a top 15 stack and got involved when I shouldn't have.

1 suggestion I can make is to take little breaks, don't be afraid to sitout now and than.

Also Maybe try smoking a doob or drinking some rum and pepsi. lol

Like another guy said. Time usually will help you to get better on these decisions.

If you play on ACR what is your username just curious.

Goodluck in the future brother

I am just wondering when we stop doing this. Is it an endurance thing? Maybe I should tweet Mike Matusow and ask him. I think I will.

I often flirted with the idea of streaming poker just because I would be so embarrassed to make these types of mistakes it would make me more accountable for my actions.

No more weed for me. It just doesnt work for me and would detract from my ability to focus which I am currently questioning as it is.

I am EthericWiki (@ClintFromNYtoVA) on Twitter, EthericWiki on pokerstars and Runitonce. I am Nonpareils on ACR.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah man, I hate that "panicky" feeling you can get near the bubble if you have 10 blinds or less. It happened to me last week when my boat was rivrd by a ONE-OUTER for a str8-flush. I went from 7th to 19th w/less than 6 bb's. I then bubbled when my Q's were turned-out by an AJ, which seems to be my nemesis hand. There were bigger stacks on my left and I was in seat 2/the cut-off but it's hard not to shove w/Q's in that situation. I don't regret it either. I look at it as good luck was hanging w/other players. If I play my best and it takes a one-outer to bring me down then I don't feel too bad. Keep on grinding. :)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you get knocked out by a 1-3 outter, you have to realize that you are making the correct decision. You have a 9/10 chance of winning the hand before they catch their miracle. If you keep playing with those odds you are going to win more than you're going to lose.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you get knocked out by a 1-3 outter, you have to realize that you are making the correct decision. You have a 9/10 chance of winning the hand before they catch their miracle. If you keep playing with those odds you are going to win more than you're going to lose.
A7o < AJo. OP got knocked out by a 48 outer.

Poker Tips