Time Bank Strategy?

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some hate them, some love them, me I'm of the mind that it is there for a reason do with it what you will. TIME BANKS people that's what we're talking about today. How do you use yours? I have been in the position that my internet was so spotty I NEEDED the time bank so I couldn't "play" with it. Now I can fake tank, time out for pay jumps, hell just take my time if I know it bothers the person in the hand with me and may make them make a bad decision. Some tournaments have really short time banks and limit options, but with a normal minute and thirty second time bank do you go into a game knowing how you're going to use it?

:fight:

:2d4::3d4:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use it on the bubble in sats.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I save it for the bubble, sometimes it's all that's left between a min cash and bubble.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some hate them, some love them, me I'm of the mind that it is there for a reason do with it what you will. TIME BANKS people that's what we're talking about today. How do you use yours? I have been in the position that my internet was so spotty I NEEDED the time bank so I couldn't "play" with it. Now I can fake tank, time out for pay jumps, hell just take my time if I know it bothers the person in the hand with me and may make them make a bad decision. Some tournaments have really short time banks and limit options, but with a normal minute and thirty second time bank do you go into a game knowing how you're going to use it?

I have never seen a time in which it would "benefit" me to use the time bank. For one if I'm playing a tournament I'm playing to win not bubble. Therefore I'm costing myself more letting the blinds go up when I could be padding my stack. As for tilting players by using the time bank, this could work against some mental game fish, but for the most part you are just costing yourself time you could be winning their chips. I can agree that if your internet disconnects and you are in a hand the countdown while it attempts to reconnect is fine. However, me personally I don't see any real value in abusing the time bank for "gain" IMO you gain more by playing. This is just my personal opinion, and I don't get upset when someone is abusing it, I do however laugh when they still bubble can't help it.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If is it a big cash out in front of me i wait sometimes and check the bubble but in the first place i watch the HAND in that moment and play to win the HAND if i miss it im down in tour soo, Better cash out like 1 2 3 in the tour rather than 35 just to take some small cash using the time in the bank.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually use the time bank when it is close to exploiting the bubble, I also use it as another type of strategy but I often do not have that time because of the terrible internet

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to use it but when I play several tables is another story

PS: Near the bubble I prefer to play more aggressively rather than pass the time, but that goes from the goal of each in the tournament

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the tournament. Sometimes i’ll use it near the bubble and sometimes i’ll use it to run and make a snack.

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use it when you need
Save it when you don't

There are bigger fish to fry

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've seen a lot of people benefit from the time bank. if there are multiple at the table doing that and you're not a short stack is very annoying

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
only time my bank is used is when Im disconnected.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah tanking to bubble a micro buy in sounds kinda silly, but when you start getting up to $5-$10 min cashes I think tanking for bubble money is a legit thing, especially if you don't have fighting chips. I like to pick up chips on the bubble as well and some times I'll take a beat or make a bad move that doesn't take me out of the tournament but may put me in a position to tank min cash.

COFFEE!!! That gets a lot of my time bank. I play in the basement and sometimes running to get a refill takes more than a couple seconds. I just don't like how some tournaments make you click the time bank button to use it. Kinda defeats the purpose of being able to walk away.

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also use the time back to fetch drinks,let the dog out or in. If i use it in the game then it's usually stalling for the blinds to get higher for a player short stacked at my table

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will use the most of my timebank and tank out when the blinds get high if I am playing a turbo tourney with lots of pay jumps. This is especailly true when playing in large field tourneys where people are busting quickly. I will definately save it for the bubble and after.

T

Toodlesnot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm the type that gets annoyed by the use of the timebank by others haha. But especially when this is abused during the bubble phase when the tournament is often already in the hand-for-hand phase anyway. Then there is no point in taking a longer time to complete your play, while this is often believed to be the case.

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hi. Yes, I use the time bank in MTT's alot. Especially when you are close to the pay bubble. It can be used as a strategy to make it look like you are torn between calling a raise, or folding ... all the while you are holding the nuts lol. It's great to know it's there too, in case your internet decides to act sketchy lol. Take care, and have a great day :cool:

C

crisco609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I hate people like you so much!!! Here I am moving along wonderfully in my game, hit a big hand, and BAM here you come to kill 90 seconds of the clock!! 90 seconds!??!?! Do you know how much I could have done in those 90 seconds?!
Naahhhh I'm just kidding - just wanted to take the other side of things. I've definitely been guilty of doing the same thing when it gets down to the bubble and I just need to hang on for another few people before the next pay jump. I really don't do it often though. Most of the time my timebank is used for 5 to 10 seconds at a time where I am running through options in my mind deciding if I want to call or shove a bet (how i feel like its meant to be used).

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of people dont like it, but the time bank is yours to use. I have seen some well known pros stall to get through the bubble and nobody said anything to them.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I need extra time to think sometimes, and sometimes I get distracted by life or need to take a leak. I have used the bank sparingly and strategically before in tournaments in specific situations regarding the bubble, blinds, and stack sizes. I have observed the short stacks in tournaments use this strategy at other tables, and slowed things down at my table as well to compensate when the situation calls for it. That being said, I notice some players doing it way to often and it's pretty hilarious when it's hand for hand and some clueless sap is still running their timer down every hand.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have never seen a time in which it would "benefit" me to use the time bank. For one if I'm playing a tournament I'm playing to win not bubble. Therefore I'm costing myself more letting the blinds go up when I could be padding my stack. As for tilting players by using the time bank, this could work against some mental game fish, but for the most part you are just costing yourself time you could be winning their chips. I can agree that if your internet disconnects and you are in a hand the countdown while it attempts to reconnect is fine. However, me personally I don't see any real value in abusing the time bank for "gain" IMO you gain more by playing. This is just my personal opinion, and I don't get upset when someone is abusing it, I do however laugh when they still bubble can't help it.
I agree with you MemphisGrind. But I use it sometimes when I have to think about something for a little bit.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always use the bank of time when the bubble is going to explode or when it is not long before I get a better prize than the one I am already earning.

J

jonjay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
time banks could be annoying when one player or more seems to be disconnected and never "sitting out" which could make every hand a waste of time.

And to be honest I don't think a player needs so much time to take a decision. Usually the hardest decision will not take longer than 40 seconds, and most decisions are really straight forward, specially when folding or calling a bet (no matter how big it is).

Few people use the time bank to try to get in the money, and probably is the only time is worthy.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you MemphisGrind. But I use it sometimes when I have to think about something for a little bit.

I have no problem with that, I'm mainly speaking of the ones that use it to the last second multiple times in a row. It's obvious that a decision is not being thought about.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly annoying since I don't use it.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The better player you are the more hands you should want to see, to become a better player you should see, not necessarily play, but see as many hands as possible. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, situational selective use thereof would seem like a plan.