Are there any advantages to late registration at MTT online?

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To register in the tournament on time, or to use late registration - this topic has recently caused more and more heated discussion among the poker community, as more and more players every year decide to enter the tournament after an hour, or several hours (if this is a live tournament ) after it started. To be honest, there is no iron rule and it all comes down to personal preferences, but still I would like to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To register in the tournament on time, or to use late registration - this topic has recently caused more and more heated discussion among the poker community, as more and more players every year decide to enter the tournament after an hour, or several hours (if this is a live tournament ) after it started. To be honest, there is no iron rule and it all comes down to personal preferences, but still I would like to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.
In the late stage there will be fewer multipots, part of the fish will be sifted out

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it depends on tournament structure. If the late reg is for 3 hours, I will watch and wait for when many players have less chips than the buy in. This allows me to hop in the game and automatically be something similar to 50/100 position right from the start. I don't like to wait too long and enter when average chip count is at or greater than the buy in, because then I will be forced into more uncomfortable "push/fold" scenarios.

On the other hand, if the tournament has only 1 hour late reg, I love to get in early and take advantage of any complete fish. If you're a quick study, you will easily realize who is worth seeing a flip against. Some early players will just shove and call any two, so if you happen to get TT+ or AJs+ early on, it can give you a HUGE head start on chips so that you can afford to see some flops vs. stronger players.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Personally, I like to register for a tournament before it starts. I think that this way I get a better chance of a good result. But this is my intuitive opinion.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the late stage there will be fewer multipots, part of the fish will be sifted out

Yup! There will be more opportunities to steal pots with a shove.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it’s better to register earlier at the beginning of the tournament at the beginning there are always a lot of fish and this chance will double !!!

S

STARSC27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the tournament's structure if it's a turbo/hyper-turbo micro/low stakes tournament I register as early as possible because usually in those tournaments if you register in the last minute you will most likely have a really short stack and you will have to wait for decent hands to double up.If it's a normal/slow speed micro/low stakes deep stacks tournament I am waiting until the buy-in stack it's like 60% of the average stack as I got plenty of time to catch up.In higher stakes I always register earlier because I just like playing poker with opponents that know what are doing and are not open-shoving 100BBs stacks.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, you won't get tired [emoji14]

V

V8000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My personal opinion, based on my own experience and some articles, is that the majority of time registering late it's a bad idea, because you'll lose a lot of hands to play with much more stack and more time, and with more mental comfort as well, I think it just could be profitable in tournaments with unlimited reentry.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hehe thinking of joining a Hyper but Turbo stack MTT.. Google brought me here :)
There are most definitely advantagesas you avoid early game situations & being a hyper people will be in there with all sorts of junk or it's 52-48% flips. It's deciding when to enter that's giving me trouble rn

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It works sometimes when registering late but I prefer to join at the start.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main benefit in my opinion is that you save a lot of time by joining late reg. Playing poker tournaments is pretty exhausting so shaving off an hour or so can help if you do make a deep run. On the other hand, I do find that you miss the degenerates who ship all their hands and that's free chips right there. Personally, I prefer to start early and scoop up the easy chips.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A twofold feeling.Sometimes it's better for me to register in advance.And sometimes I go in later and it brings results.There is no certainty for me in this matter.Good and so and so).

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you concerned about getting tired in the mtt, thus entering late reg, then i dont know what u really doing in the mtts at all. They can go for hours and hours.
Every hand is an opportunity to get on top. Or to get eliminated. Does it smell like a lack of confidence to get in with late reg? Maybe.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think people have thoughts when they want to enter the tournament later, there won't be many crazy players or super aggressive players. This is possible, but when you use late registration, you have to understand that you lose a lot, against players who play the tournament from the beginning.

Because the initial stage of the tournament, an hour or an hour and a half, is a huge opportunity to study the opponents, to gather a confident support for the further tournament.

The initial stage of the tournament has special features for the game, which will give you a great chance to increase your pot without big problems. If we are talking about weak or super aggressive players, it can also help you a lot if you know how to deal with them.

When you go later, you are deprived of the initial stage, you do not have complete information about your opponents and you are constantly under pressure from players who have a very large pot and unfortunately, in this situation, nothing but playing all-in is difficult to offer the opponent...
Only a very good map at once! and playing all-in luck can help you... But tell me, how much does online poker love you? so that you get a premium pair at once and always win all in preflop... I don't know what advantages you can have when you enter the tournament later....

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think late registration is good because the blind level is already high and you can only play a few hands

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The advantage to you is close to the money, my strategy that I use when I enter a tournament late is to expect a strong hand to give allwin and double a half soon so that I can work better with my chips.
:)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never liked late registration, or being late for anything for that matter. I think it comes from my parents drilling into me, that it's always proper to be on time. Could you imagine showing up 1 hour late for work everyday?

I guess, if you're using poker to make a living, you would want to be ontime.

Having said that, there are guys like Phil Hellmuth, who always shows up late for his tournaments. The reason: It gives him attention, because of who he is, and from that, he's able to use intimidation.

That might work for live tournaments, but I think that online is a different story. I like being on time, because I want to get as many chips as I can, as fast as I can. I feel, that if I wait 1-2 hours, and go in with the basic amount of chips, that I have put myself in a tremendous disadvantage, because I have to play "catch-up" to catch up. That seems to me, to be extra pressure that I don't need, or want.

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only late-register in freerolls so that I try my luck with first 2-3 hands. At that stage I have less than 4BB so I will be called with wider range. If I am lucky I can continue with a "head-start" if not I was late anyway :)

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: I think there is quite a disadvantage, when one registers in a tournament where it is already advanced, and with different blind modalities, well it all depends on the modality, if it is hyper turbo, turbo, or the blinds every 10 minutes it all depends.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is hard to "time" it on when to join these tourneys. I usually wait til some time has passed to register. The crazier players are either out or they have chips for you to get when blinds go up.
Blinds are higher so it makes sense to try to steal some. Wait too long and you don't have enough big blinds at the start.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think so , you actually should look at as many hands as possible and by signing up late (sometimes up to 2 hours late registration) you are missing up on a lot of AA,KK etc...

P

Pokersavvy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a fan of late reg. I have jumped in a MTT with 20 mins left of LR and actually make it ITM. I don't always rungood when jumping in that late. I find it better to play from the beginning.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience no, as most players at the tables already made a decent stack size. You would have to shove to reach at least half of their stack.

P

Pokerman32750

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no a lot of donks will be out by then !!