Which tactic is best on freerolls tournaments?

S

Slowfood32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. I watched video on ytube, about playstyles in freerolls, and they sad, then best is play only AA, KK, QQ, AK. Other hands shoud be permanently fold. Is that realy works, or maybe sometimes have a reason be agressive and use bluff?
Sorry for my english, i was worse in school.

D

Devspuch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tactics

Best tactic ever - don't try to bluff (in freeroll)

D

Devspuch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 part on freeroll room

• do not be afraid to place large bets and overbets - in freerolls such rates in the eyes of most opponents do not differ from the usual rates;
  • don't be like weak players - don't play trashy pocket cards, otherwise you will spend a lot of chips just looking at the flop and making sure you don't hit it. Inexperienced players, therefore, imperceptibly melt the stack and, having received a strong hand, they cannot win much if they want to;
  • do not try to bluff - in freerolls no one folds with any combination, so instead of bluffs wait for a strong hand and get your opponents chips.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
best tactic is to run hot and win pots.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best strategy for freerolls is play tight in the first levels (play with AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK) and when the crazy players leaves the tournament you can start to play more aggressive.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So play the top 4 hands in poker only - that will work great assuming you get dealt them more frequently than everyone else. Seems likely!

I think instead learning the fundamentals of tournament poker, and how to win chips from those who haven't, would be the better way to go.

People seem to think never bluffing and playing tight will make them automatically profitable (sure it really might). This seems pretty lazy to me - anyone paying attention can see they are just betting when they have it and that they are playing very predictably and way too tight most of the time.

Add a little creativity to your game and have some fun instead of becoming an automaton which only plays a certain hand in a certain position as instructed by your manual.

Good luck! :D

E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of the prizepool. If its freeroll with 50$ prize with 5000 players playing, most of them will be fishes who play too much hands. But if its some invitational only freeroll with 5000$ in prizes, players probably will be way better than in small freeroll, so the best tactic should be your A game as you will not see as much leaks

Last edited:
E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll

for the first hour i play very aggresive if im still there after that i start to play smartthat way i dont waist 2 hours of slow play only to lose

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. I watched video on ytube, about playstyles in freerolls, and they sad, then best is play only AA, KK, QQ, AK. Other hands shoud be permanently fold. Is that realy works, or maybe sometimes have a reason be agressive and use bluff?

You can play for an hour or more and not get dealt these hands so, no, that strategy doesn't work. You can be more aggressive but that doesn't mean to bluff necessarily. By expanding the range of hands you play you are essentially adding aggression. Take a look at the 30 day poker course here in Cardschat. It's an excellent tool for learning poker and I am sure you will quickly understand how to approach a tournament with a better strategy. Good luck.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll players are always unpredictable, so you can be eliminated at any time. So it’s very difficult to have any tactics to beat them
Good Luck

GGthiagoXD

GGthiagoXD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll players are always unpredictable, so you can be eliminated at any time. So it’s very difficult to have any tactics to beat them
Good Luck
oops !! freroll? lol my dear, there is no better place to play lol, we freerrol are still learning so you can insure that we are going to flop monsters on the streets to go to the double river or nothing on the chips lol to us it seems to be the tournament of our lives lol. but the strategy is your choice I want to be there to learn from everyone vamoooo lol

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play aggressively but not carelessly. If you have to bluff, never 3-bet bluff.

Freerolls differ from the traditional MTT tournament in which late registration is only 15 minutes and some don't even allow late registration but it may depend on the freeroll. However I do not recommend you late reg any freeroll at all.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any two cards can win in poker.

The strength of your starting hands only shows the probability of this hand being stronger. But for 5 cards, everything can change. Don't play cards, play with your opponents. Players are real people, take them out of their comfort zone, confuse them, and then skillfully set a trap, take their stack.:)

R

RicardoInciarte

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry for my english, i was worse in school.

Rule number 1 Don't bluff on early level and less against people that you still don't know if they're going to fold that is why tight is right just wait your good cards add some limping range such as AJ,AQ,AT, A2s-A5s and 44-JJ Pocket pair only looking to hit a set and fold to any big raise preflop that could work if you see the table is too aggressive to limp play only good hands... after a while on the tourney you'll know a little more your table and if you paed attention you'll know who can be bluff and also you'll know your image on the table etc etc...

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a tactic very much for very new players and it is certainly true, BUT it does not work in freerolls :) you can sit and wait for AA, KK, QQ, AK for 30 minutes, 40, an hour and get nothing.. it is impossible to play this way, wrong, impossible) your Bank will leave and you will fly out very calmly) when the blinds are small, expand the range of hands, but you should not play very bad hands (27,38,2-39, 4T, 2Q,2K,3J) such hands should be thrown out without problems)

Keep an eye on your opponents at the table and what bets they make. Never be afraid to throw away the cards if you feel doubts about the correctness of the call. Show a good card with a good bet. Be aggressive, of course. It is not necessary to disperse the Bank on the table, with an uncertain hand. Do not rush to immediately increase your Bank for this there will be a chance at a later stage of the tournament :)

T

Tomiveres

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy on playing freerolls is depending of field , if there are thousands of players they i will try to build a big stack early on , and going all in with premium hands Ak AQ and any pair over 77 .
If there is a smaller field with hundreds of players then i will play usually tight raise 3x with good hands .
The best advice in freerolls , you should never bluff you will get mostly called by 2-3 players .

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to study all the players at the table during the game. Play positions correctly. Position plays an important role. I advise you to play tight aggressively. And don't bluff. And remember any two cards can beat your pocket pairs, even monsters​

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play the game as if they were all top professionals. Play to your best ability and use your skill to play your best. While I dont play those game anymore, I did well just playing my game. Yes some guy may call you raises every time with 72o. so what. Take the chips he is donating. You will see a player shoving every hand. Pick smart hands and go for it. Don't just wait for the top 3 hands to play.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
QQ+ and AK only come around once every 39 hands.

I think it would be better to learn about positional advantage first. Then you can open more hands that do just as well from later position. Here is a tight opening range.

Early - 99+, AQ+
Middle - 77+, AJ+
Late - 55+, AT+, QJ+

You might try raising these hands 5X the Big Blind. This shows others that you mean business. If you get reraised, you can fold the bottom half of the range, call the top half, and shove anything QQ+ or AK.

On a flop, if any part of your hand connects with the board (including good draws), bet about 3/4 pot size. If villain raises, only call top pair and shove over pairs and trips.

On the turn, bet if you have top pair or better. Check if you have second pair or worse. Don't be afraid to fold if the board looks connected :)jd4: :qd4: :kd4: :ac4:) even with top pair.

When you get to the river, you want to bet only if you think you are ahead and villain might call. You want to check/call if you think you are ahead of villain and they might try to bluff. You should check/fold if you believe you are behind. Don't Hero call. It seldom pays off.

Finally, when calling preflop, you want to judge what hand they might have by the above chart. If they raise from an early position, you want at least the better half of early position to call (or raise) them. That would be JJ+ and AK only.

Note: This advice is only for beginners and freerolls.

Last edited:
jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play aggressive, I get suckered out when I slow play my hands , like you can't imagine .. alot can happen in freerolls , there is no money at stake ,so nobody cares that they lose

Freeroll Passwords