Table sizes

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started playing online poker (freerolls) during the poker boom a lot of the sites I played at had 10 players at a table.

Now I don't know of any site that uses this format any more. pokerstars I think was always 9. But some other sites have 8.

What was behind the change?

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing in 2013, and there were already 9 people at the tables! And on 888 there were 8 people! I didn’t even see where 10 people were playing at the table in the freeroll, so I don’t know what this is connected with! I only played in the CIS, where there were 10 people at the table, they are still alive at PokerStars!

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is a trend ,sit and goes startet sooner and in tournements it is easier to handle 9 or 8 seats at the table for the gaming computer

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Less players at the table give more action and less waiting. Online cash tables are mostly 6-max these days, so its actually a little strange, that most tournaments are still played with 9 players at the table. Some tournaments also play in the 8-max format, which is close to 9-max but still with a bit more action.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hmmm I don't know but I think the standard for MTTs is 9 handed but for the big events they usually prefer the 8 handed- I don't know why. Maybe because of what fundiver199 has stated above ^ !?!?

Haven't seen a 10 handed table for a long time too!

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing online poker (freerolls) during the poker boom a lot of the sites I played at had 10 players at a table.

Now I don't know of any site that uses this format any more. Pokerstars I think was always 9. But some other sites have 8.

What was behind the change?

Since when I first met PokerSTARS, the common style of play has always been 9 players just like you said, and I think that's perfectly fine, I think it's a pattern that makes room for all styles of players to face each other at tables, in my opinion it could be like this forever, hahah!

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well I have played freerolls in different places and at tables of 6,8 and 9 players .... and I prefer tournaments at tables of 9 players .... I feel more comfortable and I have already become accustomed to that mode. .!