Successful free roll strategies

G

graplet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the large fee rolls, conventional patient poker doesnt seem to be all that successful. Any strategies that seem to stick out a little bit more. Fast and free? Sit out til blinds go up? Bet big when you do? Look for Donks?

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are tournaments in which it's hard to win something because there are many inadequate fishes in these tournaments. As for me, as much as possible, you need to play only with very strong hands.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategies to free games, there are thousands, but you should be focused on following them, otherwise it will be a waste of time trying to apply them in your game
If you're a frustrated player playing freeroll tournaments, you might want to rethink what strategy you use (if you use strategy), there are plenty of good players in the middle of those giant freeroll tournaments fields, but we should agree that at least 70% of the field is made up of medium and mediocre players and it is exactly with this type of player that you should be VERY careful, but you ask me why you take so much care and then I will explain.
These bad / average players are mostly playing just by playing and as they do not pay a buy-in to play they end up playing several hands and are constantly going all in, in the initial phase there is not much secret to play, their range of hands must be very tight, have patience, wait a monster hand and go all in, if you have AA, KK, QQ, AK, avoid bleffs, because they are very unsuccessful, tournament start bluff does not pass, you always go take a turn, avoid limp, but understand the word "avoid", there are times you can use limp, but still, avoid.
In theory it is very simple, apply it that becomes difficult, in most cases, we fall from a tournament for several factors, error-impatience-haste-discouragement-
I always advise to try to get as much information as possible from your opponent, do not rush, your best hand will reach, and you will be able to raise your stack, know that when you bluff, someone can be NUTS, so avoid making unnecessary plays too often.
good luck

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i get in some of the freerolls, depending on which one. i usually just try to wait it out untill i get a nice hand and then get a decent stack going and then ill sit out and just wait. once most/all of the fish are gone and you get down into the last 100 people or so its usually a little bit better of a game to play. there are just so many hit and misses with freerolls that its hard to say what and if any strategies are really the correct ones, or do people just end up getting lucky and catching a few hands? does anyone consistently win freerolls? i can understand getting in the top 50 or so alot but winning them most of the time? i just dont see it happening. if anyone in here does then please share your secret, lol

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think looking for donks is a good one . I sit and wait for something decent and get it in against a LAG player . Because you are probably going to have to put them in on any given hand anyway so try to keep the odds in your favor as much as possible . Good luck .

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Try to follow your instinct, when you manage to double your stack or more try to have a little more calm, but it all depends if the freeroll is slow or fast, if it is quick, patience is not recommended, but you should try to take risks and follow your instinct, for this type of tournaments there is no formula or steps to follow is very unpredictable

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hi there .At a freeroll is difficult to fold cards .....as a result opponent can call you without kicker just with a top pair.So you need to value a huge hand in order to get max paid.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annette Obrestad is a player I admire, because she started playing freerolls and earn a lot of money there, then went on to win thousands of dollars in poker, I've never made a deposit to play poker, I have always made money in freerolls.
I read some tips, of Annette to play freerolls, remember some, and are Play now the acb poker, try to double your chips as quickly as possible, without fearing to leave quickly from one tournament and never try bluffing in a freeroll.
gl:D

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play only the best premium hands, fold everything else. If someone raises post flop they are not bluffing

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'v won like $1,400 from freerolls I can tell you the large field MTTs require you to jam K9s or better until you get a sizable playable stack rinse and repeat don't miss out on an hourly freeroll because you are doing well in one. When you have a sizable stack 150BB or more and are deep or semi deep then you can play seriously and no more volatile allins instead play chip up small ball poker looking to win STEADY chips no volatility.

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best tip i can give you from a former freeroll crusher... join the freeroll, and dont play any hands the first 10 mins... cuz more often than not your AA AK hands will even get crushed by the randoms that dont care and shove any 2... as it goes on later and later u can play smarter and expect less horrible plays. :D

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the large fee rolls, conventional patient poker doesnt seem to be all that successful. Any strategies that seem to stick out a little bit more. Fast and free? Sit out til blinds go up? Bet big when you do? Look for Donks?

I have played patient poker and actually ended up in the money a few times. That's only 1 strategy to win, you will need to combine many strategies to win of course. I always say practice makes perfect. Keep playing and learning from your mistakes. I always used to go out of a tournament 4 people away from the money but i learnt where i was going wrong and adjusted my game play. Now i find it very easy to get in the money.

Malnitruth

Malnitruth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are tournaments in which it's hard to win something because there are many inadequate fishes in these tournaments. As for me, as much as possible, you need to play only with very strong hands.

Sounds like you're one of them fishes or something in the water

Distort99

Distort99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best tip i can give you from a former freeroll crusher... join the freeroll, and dont play any hands the first 10 mins... cuz more often than not your AA AK hands will even get crushed by the randoms that dont care and shove any 2... as it goes on later and later u can play smarter and expect less horrible plays. :D

this is very true. thats one of the reasons why i usually wait till the end of late registration before i join, ya the blinds are higher and you have to catch faster but at the same time you get rid of alot of them people already. then you can just wait a few minutes and then play ur game.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I belong to "fast n free" club,,,,it costs nothing but time,get in,cash out! :vroam:

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think there is a strategy to play the freerolls, although there are players who play push push others with a bit more calm, I think your strategy can be knocked down as you do a quick reading of your opponents although we know that in a freeroll it's complicated

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because of the number of players on this type of tournaments at first better play very wide as long as the blind is not too expensive. If you get to get a big stack of chips, it is better to play more tight.

By cons in a turbo frerrolls is the opposite strategy that I choose. I prefer to wait for a good hand and all-in after I play more and more wide if I have enough chips.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best tip is to just pay attention to what your opponents are doing, they will usually tell you what they have/what you should do.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early on, don’t even think about making “smart” poker plays. Play tight and then when you think you’re playing tight enough, tighten up. These freerolls start with massive shove fests and if you get into them with less then great hands you will be knocked out within a few minutes. Wait to loosen up till about the first break but till then just wait for good hands and take a few easy pots as

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i play freerolls i only play strong hands and go heavy on them, the key to freerolls is to build a stack quickly and keep building to it, most freerolls raise the blinds every 2 or 3 mins, not like some buy ins where ya have ten mins.

Ricardo007

Ricardo007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it does not matter what kind of game, if I had enough concentration and patience, you get to the end, before any games start, try to relax one to the maximum.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll MTTs are basically a test of your patience. Playing only the top of your range early on is important if you mean to survive the donks playing any two cards and hoping to get lucky. The problem of course, is getting the right hand...that can take time and perhaps more time than you sometimes are willing to wait. If you feel the urge to play a mid-range hand in middle or early position then go in with a raise and give it a go.....but, if someone comes over the top with a big bet never assume it's a bluff just because you're in a freeroll. Fold your hand and start being patient all over again.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a couple ways to play them, but a couple general tips.

Call/Limp behind (you should almost never open limp) with marginal hands if there aren't aggressive players behind you and fold if you don't hit the flop. When you make a strong hand, bet slightly larger than normal to get value. In general, players will call too much and rarely raise. This means you want to bluff less, and try to get paid more with your strong made hands.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u are wrong.....having patience still pays off ,even at freerolls