Study Material For A MTT Newbie

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

A very good friend of mine recently caught the “poker bug” while watching this year’s wsop Main Event a couple weeks ago on tv.

He wants to learn how to play MTT’s, so I suggested Harrington’s original series of books “Harrington on Holdem” volumes 1&2...mainly because that’s what I did starting out.

He knows the rules of no-limit, that part was easy, but has no idea of MTT strategy. Did I give him good advice on study material or would you suggest something else?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s what I grew up on as well! I like them. I also have Negreanu’s Power Hold’em Strategy for his work on the importance of pot size control.

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little has a great couple books on tournaments - one is even specifically for small stakes. Highly recommend them both

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little has a great couple books on tournaments - one is even specifically for small stakes. Highly recommend them both

I just checked out Amazon to see what all he has written, and WOW there’s a lot. LOL!!!

Can you tell me which of his tournament books you’re referring to?

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s what I grew up on as well! I like them. I also have Negreanu’s Power Hold’em Strategy for his work on the importance of pot size control.

I just worry that they’re way to outdated for today’s game, but I know they are (or at least were) great foundational books.

I wonder if that’s still true for today’s game?

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just checked out Amazon to see what all he has written, and WOW there’s a lot. LOL!!!

Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker Vol 1
Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He has a newer book released late last year for small stakes MTTs and Cash games which I would highly recommend for anyone. If not that then I'd also say to check out his Excelling at no-limit holdem for a wide range of poker insight by several of the big names in poker. Another great resource is redchip pokers CORE series, it's relatively cheap but you get a lot for the price and I personally really enjoy the format of the lessons.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker Vol 1
Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments

Thank you so much! Do you think a newbie to tournament play can dive straight into these, or would getting a good foundation first be better?

For all I l know, are these JL books considered “foundational” these days?

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has a newer book released late last year for small stakes MTTs and Cash games which I would highly recommend for anyone. If not that then I'd also say to check out his Excelling at no-limit holdem for a wide range of poker insight by several of the big names in poker. Another great resource is redchip pokers CORE series, it's relatively cheap but you get a lot for the price and I personally really enjoy the format of the lessons.

Can a newbie to the game dive right into these ya think? Should he start off with something more foundational?

Only reason I ask is because I’ve never read any of JL’s books and simply just don’t know how beginner friendly they are.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can a newbie to the game dive right into these ya think? Should he start off with something more foundational?

Only reason I ask is because I’ve never read any of JL’s books and simply just don’t know how beginner friendly they are.

CORE is perfect for beginners and JL expects you know a bit about poker but you can probably jump in as a beginner I don't remember their being anything to advanced I needed to look up seperately. Just now basic position, poker rules and some of the basic math (he explains most of it) and supplement anything you do come across that you don't know

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some good suggestions here.

Some others:

Watching people play MTTs on Twitch would be a good way to gain experience without risking any money.

There are good training sites out there with MTT content for new players and good resources with push/fold information - learning how to play a short-stack will be very helpful if he is serious about playing tournaments. :)

Good luck!

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you so much! Do you think a newbie to tournament play can dive straight into these, or would getting a good foundation first be better?

For all I l know, are these JL books considered “foundational” these days?

You need to have a basic understanding of the basics and terms of poker, but that’s it. As long as you know what the river, pocket pair, and nuts are, you’ll be fine!

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. It’s much appreciated!