Struggling finding spots against TAG's and ABC players

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm a micro stakes HU SNG player. I'd say I'm a reasonably good rec who thinks through his decisions, uses pot odds, doesn't make any crazy plays and generally I do ok and I'm still learning, but I'm missing out on a ton of spots against ABC lobby regs who are just playing face up value ranges.

For example, villains who min-raise the button with an average range but 3x with all strong hands, who only 3-bet a strong Ax range and don't balance it with bluffs, who will c-bet the flop to a high percentage but only bet turn and river with a top pair plus range. I understand in theory what they are doing wrong but I can't seem to step outside of my box and make creative plays to take advantage. In position I'm making sure that I'm not bluffing without equity or fold equity and OOP I'm just trying to make correct decisions with my odds and the price offered to me. I then get into a bunch of showdowns where I see villain has second or third pair and think I could have probably gotten him off that if I'd followed through but I'm just unsure on how people learn to take advantage of these spots and fire those barrels.

I've just played a couple of matches against a villain who's c-betting range was literally value. C-bet was top pair and two barrel was top pair plus but I just can't seem to take advantage. It's a huge leak in my game and I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced players.

Last edited:
X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't lack creativity, I think you are just scared of making a play outside of your comfort zone and seeming like a bad player.
You can see patterns and mistakes on your opponents, what you are missing is to find the most profitable way of exploiting those mistakes.

For example, when you have players 3x-ing pre with their premiums and 2x-ing with lesser hands, you can start folding a lot of your hands that don't play well postflop when they 3x.
So when they 2x you can start 3betinng light and cbet a lot of Ax, Kx and dry flops.
Also if they cbet only when they hit, you can give up with no equity when they bet, and bet every flop and turn if they check.

These are just general examples, if you do them all the time vs some good regs they will catch up on it.
The point is to try and exploit as much as you can without changing the fundamentals of your game.
Good luck!

Last edited:
P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Against those kinds of players you should be able to exploit them in certain spots with 3 bets and mix in some leads that would not work against looser players. Good luck.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm a micro stakes HU SNG player. I'd say I'm a reasonably good rec who thinks through his decisions, uses pot odds, doesn't make any crazy plays and generally I do ok and I'm still learning, but I'm missing out on a ton of spots against ABC lobby regs who are just playing face up value ranges.

For example, villains who min-raise the button with an average range but 3x with all strong hands, who only 3-bet a strong Ax range and don't balance it with bluffs, who will c-bet the flop to a high percentage but only bet turn and river with a top pair plus range. I understand in theory what they are doing wrong but I can't seem to step outside of my box and make creative plays to take advantage. In position I'm making sure that I'm not bluffing without equity or fold equity and OOP I'm just trying to make correct decisions with my odds and the price offered to me. I then get into a bunch of showdowns where I see villain has second or third pair and think I could have probably gotten him off that if I'd followed through but I'm just unsure on how people learn to take advantage of these spots and fire those barrels.

I've just played a couple of matches against a villain who's c-betting range was literally value. C-bet was top pair and two barrel was top pair plus but I just can't seem to take advantage. It's a huge leak in my game and I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced players.

I would advise you to keep notes on certain opponents, observe and record their reaction to actions. Do not be afraid. How often do you bluff exploit reraises or not. Just record statistics and that's all. This is tedious, but it helps a lot in exploiting opponents