Strategy question

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to get some feedback on what others think about a very specific situation in a MTT. This might sound kind of odd but there is one hand in particular I'm not quite sure how to play. It's also at a certain time in the tourney.

Suited 9 10 UTG midway through the tourney with avg. to slightly above avg. chip stack. Let's also assume there are not any hyper-aggressive players who will call with a wide range of hands. Assume two LAG's, but nothing crazy and everyone else is pretty tight. Also your own image is a fairly tight player.

I'm not sure if this is a raise, limp, or just fold hand. My thinking is you have many possiblites to make something happen here, but I'm not sure how far to take it. I understand if someone plays back hard to get away from it, but what about pre-flop? What if I'm re raised? Do I fold? Do I call and try to outplay on the flop and turn?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just wanted to know what others think. Thanks

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
910 UTG in an MTT is pretty much 100% of the time a super standard fold

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to fold this here. And here's why.

What if you get reraised to 4x your raise? Do you call? If not, it can be a big leak OOP (out of position) to you stack. If you call, what happens if you miss the flop. The late position villian can easily pwn (own) you with a c-bet.

Unless you are amazing after the flop, I'd at least play it around mid-position (MP), if at all.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold and if you do decide to open it, for the love of all that's holy, fold to all 3bets (unless the 3better is short and you're priced in).

B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All 3 are actually fine unless there are good players that will iso you wide then it's just raise or fold.

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9-10 s достатточно the perspective hand, but not so to play it from position UTG. In this position it is possible to try to play aggressively only in the event that everyone consider you as the leader and are afraid of your stack, or if at you image supertight the player. In any case your stack should be large that you could dump easy a hand in case of active actions of opponents.

G

Grinder101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most def fold especially with two lag players. It's a trouble hand if you hit your flush draw OOP.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most sensible thing to do would be to fold...But in poker there is never one single rule.To me if your image is strong enough people might fold most cards to your raise PF and will think twice if you raise them on the flop, even if they hit something good!

But otherwise why put yourself in such a tough situation?save yourself the headache and fold...

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold unless there is some specific reason in the context of the game to do otherwise.

Why does this hand interest you so? It seems to me to be just another average hand at an average table with an average stack.

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the late response, been super busy last 2 days. Well if just about everyone says fold then that tells me all I need to know. I guess I'm just trying to be too aggressive in my play.

My original thinking was that if I'm seen as a fairly tight player I could bluff an ace high flop against JJ, QQ, or KQ.

I go back and forth between folding and raising in this situation depending on how I'm feeling at the time and that may be the worst part of all.

I'm going to fix this leak. I guess this is what cards chat is all about! :top:

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you can play it anyway u want or fell like, as long as you're able to fold postflop, the requirement for playing hands like that from UTG is very good postflop play, if you feel you're better at postflop play than you opponents (and you´re good at small ball play) then play hands like like that, but they are not suited for long ball and bad postflop play.

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the late response, been super busy last 2 days. Well if just about everyone says fold then that tells me all I need to know. I guess I'm just trying to be too aggressive in my play.

My original thinking was that if I'm seen as a fairly tight player I could bluff an ace high flop against JJ, QQ, or KQ.

I go back and forth between folding and raising in this situation depending on how I'm feeling at the time and that may be the worst part of all.

I'm going to fix this leak. I guess this is what cards chat is all about! :top:

Whilst the fold is the standard play here that doesn't mean you have to - if everybody just made the standard moves there would be no point in the game. There is a lot of risk in getting involved here, which means it might cost you a lot or win you a lot; and unless you get really lucky it is going to be a tough hand to play. Here are some scenarios assuming one caller to the flop:

1. flop TT9. Payday! You are getting action from overpairs, overcards and draws. Villain won't give you credit for boat and may try to push you off with JJ etc. Occasionally you will get out-boated.
2. flop 9TJ. Again action from overcards with straight/draw but when a K hits the turn you are probably in trouble.
3. flop J63 all your suit. You either win a small pot or get caned by a bigger flush.
4. A72 rainbow. you c-bet and get called. Turn is a J - then what?
5. J7T rainbow. you c-bet get raised. Then what?
6. 52J rainbow. you c-bet get called. Turn is T, bet call. river 5 - bet?

With this kind of hand in early position you can get in all sorts of trouble. You see the pros doing it all the time, but then, they are pros...

V

volpereira

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold this T9 in UTG even in late stages.

But like to play on MP, CO and BU

B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol raising 9Ts in this spot is most definitely not a leak. It might not be the perfectly optimal way to play but not by much. And if you're against anyone competent having hands like this in your range in this spot will be very good for your overall game.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rarely Works Out

I think you're looking for a reason to play this hand. I understand. It's hard to fold suited connectors (9-10).

I've probably down about 10 to 1 making this call, and I still have a hard time getting away from it.

Let it go.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me this is an OK hand but this scenario is all about position. Getting this UTG midway through a tourney is an easy fold. Unless the flop is really kind to you then you're going to be behind the 8 ball throughout the rest of the hand.

Getting this hand in the cutoff or button and with everyone folding to you then I might consider a raise - otherwise leave it.

V

volpereira

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 questions.

Anyone limped before?

There's antes yet?

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If everyone folded around to me - in this spot I would call.

I don't really have any reason for this, it's just what I like to do.

:)

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 questions.

Anyone limped before?

Definition: UTG is an abbreviation for "Under the Gun." The poker player under the gun is the first person to act in a hand, or the player in earliest position.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definition: UTG is an abbreviation for "Under the Gun." The poker player under the gun is the first person to act in a hand, or the player in earliest position.

I was thinking it said on the button - my mistake!

FOLD!

LOL :)