Strategy for progressive "Knockout" tournament format

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone. What is your strategy playing tournaments "short stack" how Progressive Knockout?

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
its like an ordinairy tournament strategy but keep in mind that you also want to eliminate the players with more bounty's

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are short in knockouts tournament i think you need to tighten up your shoving range a little bit because you know that someone is going to call you because of the bounty

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played a few Knockout tournaments last weekend. It seemed to me that a lot of the players payed the bb to be able to see the flop, in the hope of getting something.
When you get a high bounty and the stack of chips is going down, everybody will start hitting you to get the bounty.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing such a tournament, you should carefully monitor the stack size of other players at the table. You need to track those who are shorter than you - you can knock them out and get bounties. You also need to track those who have chips much more than you - such players will play more widely, hoping to get the bounty just randomly.

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion you should play it like you play regular tourneys. Pay attention on position , chip stack, opponents and stuff. But you must know that in that kind of tournaments because of bounty players are ready to go in pot with trash hands. So be carefull and good luck.

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't deviate too much from your regular play. Just pay attention when you're short and you have 2x+ starting bounty. People will call you off lighter. Also pay attention to shortstacks with bounties, but don't get too greedy as chips are also very valuable!

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For PKO's, the real value lies in winning it outright. Very often the 1st prize shown in the payout structure will actually be close to double of what's shown (because in the end you win your own bounty). So in the early/mid stages, don't go crazy for bounties. Instead play your standard solid + aggro game with well timed stealing. Open up more if you think your table is passive during the later stages and of course always monitor stack sizes and bounty dynamics. (Also be in the lookout for the Booty Hunters/Snipers, they are really gunning for the bounties and are often risking their tournament lives for a small or medium bounty, use it to your advantage when possible).

V

Vale3178

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. What is your strategy playing tournaments "short stack" how Progressive Knockout?

Non giocare su PS.it.......serius, KO is very hard to play in short stack,push all in and pray!!!! :)

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Up-vote this answer

For PKO's, the real value lies in winning it outright. Very often the 1st prize shown in the payout structure will actually be close to double of what's shown (because in the end you win your own bounty). So in the early/mid stages, don't go crazy for bounties. Instead play your standard solid + aggro game with well timed stealing. Open up more if you think your table is passive during the later stages and of course always monitor stack sizes and bounty dynamics. (Also be in the lookout for the Booty Hunters/Snipers, they are really gunning for the bounties and are often risking their tournament lives for a small or medium bounty, use it to your advantage when possible).

I have been looking at getting into a PKO for a couple of weeks now. Your strategy makes total sense. It is just another tournament with an added dynamic to it. Now I am ready to pull the trigger on this puppy!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can be play a bit more aggressively, but mostly the total strategy game remains standard! Need to to pay attention , that many players often go all in!

Astokato

Astokato

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO

In the very small stacks of 0.55, 1.10 and 2.20 I think a strategy tight and aggressive when we have strong cards will take us deep into the tournament. The reason is, especially in this tournament, that players to win a bounty actually play garbage.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive seen a couple different styles played successfully in these tournaments. The solid way to go about it is to play small ball with your marginal range and try to get the money in when you have a monster. Play this way tell you have a big stack, then you can start picking up blinds in position and can wait for pairs/AK-AJ to try to get some bounties.

Keep in mind winning the tournament is your main objective. Dont loose sight of that.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing in the "knockout" I try to stick to the standard tactics of the game as in SNG tournaments. But it must be remembered that the main goal is a prize zone, and prizes for knocked out players are secondary.

F

Frankie40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wfind a lot of aggressive players in hands in KO tourneys that are only there hoping to hit a bounty. They forget the prize pool often and only focus on the one aspect. I play my normal game and keep aware of chip stacks especially when called after a 4x raise. Are they calling off to hit a flop with garbage? Often times I find the answer to be yes and my play halpes me stack more chips.

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bounty is just dressing for the turkey!

When playing in the "knockout" I try to stick to the standard tactics of the game as in SNG tournaments. But it must be remembered that the main goal is a prize zone, and prizes for knocked out players are secondary.

Kind of like Super Mario. The goal is to level up by getting to the flag pole. All of them extra gold coins you collect along the way is just dressing for the turkey!

Crazymoney16

Crazymoney16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to pay attention to awards in any case. I play the same way as a regular tournament, and knocking out is a bonus.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kind of like Super Mario. The goal is to level up by getting to the flag pole. All of them extra gold coins you collect along the way is just dressing for the turkey!

It turns out that way.