Strategy for the long tournaments

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to know more how you deal with long tournaments such as with 10min blinds and quite long late registration (more than an hour and without rebuys/addons).

I'm trying to play right from the beginning and most of the time when I built quite big stack and got in top 20 during the first hour then I'm having troubles to save my stack and get more from the game. It usually happened when I moved to the table where the most of the players have much bigger stacks than mine. Then I starting to play tight and slowly losing all my chips. Sometimes with some luck I'm qualifying for the prizes when I almost have nothing lol.

Is it familiar for you ? How you deal with it if you have some experience with long tournaments ?

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, sounds familiar.
You need to change your game as the field gets smaller.
step 1: be aware
step 2: practice

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it's either try to build a stack relatively quickly or being patient. Just depends on your table draw and how others are playing.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case I do not like re-buy tournaments. For the same reason: time.

The only advice is patience, but it's more difficult to achieve. if you get quickly bend, change your game and watch your chips until the time is up for re-buy.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More than an hour is not a long tournament my friend, you should try playing poker stars Sunday million, it can take up to 2 days playing, and the only good strategy will be, be patient, be smart, and have a good seat were you can play comfortably ;)

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to do another thing while playing so I can stay calm and play only hands that worth it and not risking my chips because i'm bored.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case I do not like re-buy tournaments. For the same reason: time.

The only advice is patience, but it's more difficult to achieve. if you get quickly bend, change your game and watch your chips until the time is up for re-buy.

I mentioned above that its not about re-buy tournaments

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More than an hour is not a long tournament my friend, you should try playing poker stars Sunday million, it can take up to 2 days playing, and the only good strategy will be, be patient, be smart, and have a good seat were you can play comfortably ;)

I was talking about late registration which can be more than an hour. The tournament itself is long enough it's understandable. I think I should do more practice my patient

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play these tournaments more patient! But after nabete decent stack still continue to play and not have to wait! In these tournaments, players win more masterovitye!

mpanarelo

mpanarelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At any moment I think it's more a matter of pure luck than strategy, I don't trust long tournaments with many rebuys, I am also finding these turbos and hyper tournaments dull as they require a lot of all in which is pure luck, I'm almost investing in real money tournaments as it seems more befitting the real world.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe being patient, playing in position and choosing the right time to 3bet or all-in is the way

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds beyond familiar. It's much easier to lose chips the larger your stack because your more vulnerable to making mistakes. So when I find myself doubling up to large stack and I know my greediness/impatience will take over, I focus on 'stack preservation' and continue to try focusing on making good and solid decisions only. No need to fight for every pot by bullying the table.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The experience only comes with time, keep playing and you will gradually improve.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is good to play from right the beginning. It is important anyways in poker to play, meaning be active. Waiting passively for some good cards won't bring a good result, so don't be too tight, except maybe at the very end... Regarding you reaching top 20 early in the tournament is nice but is not a guarantee at all you will win. Tournaments where I reached the final table were tournaments where in the beginning I was just somewhere in the middle of the pack, only in the end I went to the top. Keep in mind that the goal is not building a stack (although of course it helps to finish high), so don't try to keep a high stack all the time and be in the top of the ranking constantly. You don't win tournaments early on.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good night player
Look at a long tournament everyone thinks of pre-flop premium cards and some risk other types of cards and get lucky.
From what I see you are doing well with beginners but when you face the big ones you are bad, I advise you to flop with pairs in hand in order to make a set or a full house and looser against an aggressive high stacker. See if it works and tell us here it worked and advanced, oh one more thing I already played long tournament and was a long time without getting on the flop. Don't miss poker is wisdom and patience. Good luck.:pcguru:

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to know more how you deal with long tournaments such as with 10min blinds and quite long late registration (more than an hour and without rebuys/addons).

I'm trying to play right from the beginning and most of the time when I built quite big stack and got in top 20 during the first hour then I'm having troubles to save my stack and get more from the game. It usually happened when I moved to the table where the most of the players have much bigger stacks than mine. Then I starting to play tight and slowly losing all my chips. Sometimes with some luck I'm qualifying for the prizes when I almost have nothing lol.

Is it familiar for you ? How you deal with it if you have some experience with long tournaments ?

When transplanted to another table. I first learn the game of new opponents. In order not to lose the stack, sometimes I go allin to steal the blind. But it really doesn’t always work out. In most cases, they knock me out. Unfortunately, this happens for almost everyone. It is necessary to endure in a tournament necessarily manage to rise high and get a good prize.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Walk as early as possible. Although sometimes I use late registration, I want to be sure of it. Why am I doing this? Because in the early stages you have the opportunity to try out deep stacks, and weak players have more expensive mistakes in such situations.Early registration, participation in the tournament from the first distribution, as well as patience and attentiveness are qualities that are the foundation for a successful game in such tournaments. In addition to this, in tournaments with kilo-fields you should be able to quickly “switch gears” - quickly change your playing style in order to confuse your opponent, as well as be prepared to play your hands aggressively and be absolutely fearless when necessary.The latest recommendations relate to playing in the bubble and in the later stages of such tournaments. Nobody wants to spend several hours playing the game and leave with nothing - that's why many participants play very tightly and completely passively in the tournament bubble.