strategy for early chip leader

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please tell me strategy when i get starting chip stack raise nearly 3-4 times of starting chip stack.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't call shoves against you, only play small multi-way pots, Don't over value TPTK and dont play every hand just cause you can afford too

Haxx

Haxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree completely with wildyetty. Just because you have the chips to get involved early in the tournament doesn't mean that you should. You might be able to open up your range a little bit to apply some pressure, but remember that you won't have the type of pressure that you would if you were deep in a tournament with the deep stack.

Glorioso14

Glorioso14

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thks for the info.. its a great help for a new player

T

Tode8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you make a extra big blinds you call with more hands an usuall,play good hands like you don't have big stack and try to play small pots,try to have pot control and don't make a pot so big.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well its good to play tight to protect your chips, but playing tight u have to w8 for premium hands to even more chips to your stack, i always play more loose when i get an early chip lead, coz from i have gathered over the years, use the variance while its still on your side, i often wondered how can some players get such a big cheap lead so early in the tournament, and the answer is, there are some players especially in freerolls they push all in with the first hand and if the variance is on your side u will win, but they dont stop there they continue to shove every hand and keep on pile more chips on their stack, but thats careless poker, or IDGF poker (i dont give a fak poker) and rarely works, so as soon as u get chip advantage while the blinds are still small whiden your range but keep it tight, u hit u play, u miss u fold.

T

touchmytallalla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you shouldnt be too much agressive and involve userlf in unnecessary spots. Cause in the beginning of the tournament the value of saved chips is bigger.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well its good to play tight to protect your chips, but playing tight u have to w8 for premium hands to even more chips to your stack, i always play more loose when i get an early chip lead, coz from i have gathered over the years, use the variance while its still on your side, i often wondered how can some players get such a big cheap lead so early in the tournament, and the answer is, there are some players especially in freerolls they push all in with the first hand and if the variance is on your side u will win, but they dont stop there they continue to shove every hand and keep on pile more chips on their stack, but thats careless poker, or IDGF poker (i dont give a fak poker) and rarely works, so as soon as u get chip advantage while the blinds are still small whiden your range but keep it tight, u hit u play, u miss u fold.

You mean i should start playing below average hand like 7-8 os ?

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

first off the leads you are seeing are from freerolls and yes most are playing very weak hands and running hot.... watch 20 mins later and they are out of the tourney because they are playing like you suggest.... people like that get a target on their back!!! when you goto showdown you better damn well have a hand cause if your caught in 1 bluff you now have 8 people playing in every hand you play!!!

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the situations, when near bubble or when there are large pay jumps late in tourney (let's say 1k man mtt, there are 150 left and only last 50 get decent payout and top 3 get real money or 9 man sng with 4/5 people left and 3 person itm)

in these situations it's really easy to just min raise any two decent cards if nobody else has raised/limped. It only needs to work about half the time to be profitable and oftentimes if you get reshoved their stack is so insignificant you can make the call - which will again make people even more likely to fold unless they get the true premiums.

If not in those situations just try to protect that stack, don't be aggressive for sake of aggression and remember that people will remember your are doing it and exploit it. Bubble/big pay jumps and be good at calculating pot odds, if you think you have two live cards and they are short stacked it may actually be mathematically correct to call that AK shove with 27 - but can't stress this enough if you don't know that math then don't make those calls unless it's <5% of your stack of less than 10bb.

Biggest mistake I see big stacks do is over raising, and doing it every time, they are risking far too much for too little and they rarely last long, don't do it every hand - mix it up, try not to do it in position and most importantly, don't do it if someone else in front raised - then you play normal poker not big stack poker. While that guy could likely be trying to steal with 65/QT/AJ type hand he could also be holding the goods and praying you'll do exactly what you're doing. If they raise a lot try a 3bet once or twice just to establish table leadership.

Main thing though is try not to play big pots preflop unless they are <10 bb. Someone with 25bb and AK will be willing to call your QT 4bet shove preflop but reverse situation and he flats your 2.2 bb raise or 3bets to 7bb and flop is J83 it's pretty likely he'll fold and not risk his tourney on A high. Of course there are people that will do that but in general it's easier to push people around post flop and also easier to raise/fold post flop as well. Nobody is going to check/raise or reraise the bully and expect a fold very often.

Last edited:
luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play hard but taking care with which it has few chips as many will not hesitate to put everything in and open your range of hands a little more

jscales

jscales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive but weary

the rest of the table is going to be scared of you to some degree because you are able to put them out of the tournament. You can get away with some smaller raises and if they push back you can let the hand go.

R

roman sevastyanov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to go all-in with a good map )

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you have the enough to tolerate the oscillation of the poker. My tips: Leave the emotions aside, keep calm and study the game. As some people said, show your cards will give a lot of information to other players.

Last edited:
D

delox7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get envolved when you are in a bad position at the table. Wait good cards and a good position cause calling every hand may destroy your chiplead. And don't call those annoying all in at the beginning of the tournament from loose players with any cards

Roman Romanov

Roman Romanov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that to show their cards unnecessarily is a bad habit.

C

cookio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*It depends whether is early in the game, mid game or late in the game.
Early in the game, deep stacked look for the nuts, play lots of hands. The later in the game, and the bigger the tourney players that are not used to get late into the game get tight, blufff and drop when you meet resistance.
* Being aware of how deep is the tourney is the first steps.
*how many blinds are the average?
*what is the median of the game?
*planify before getting involved in a hand: pick your victim, and be aware of his strategy ( passive player to pick bit by bit, agrodonk who will hand you the chips when they blow up)

F

FlyingFitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play like you only have a few chips

If you play like you have a large stack, you will only go in on hands that you end up losing. Try to be tight with your money until you are actually chip leader, which then you have some room to play with the hands.

D

deadluke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you go up 3x4x times the starting stack early in the tourney... your range opens a lot but you should not play a lot of hands because you will start to lose some hands... keep pushing small with not so great hands... but with big hands you can put a lot of pressure in small stacks.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Big Stack Strategy

Please tell me strategy when i get starting chip stack raise nearly 3-4 times of starting chip stack.

I remember from Intellipoker at pokerstars the Big Stack Strategy or BSS, I used it when I mange to get that many chips but it teaches you not to go crazy or pay any bet. Instead of 3BB use 10, 20 BB that will give you many hands specially from small stacks and so called fishes. :jd4:

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know how would you get 4x the start stack in early stages without being a maniac and calling every shove, but if you have 4x the start stack doing that.. keep doing it, if not, play like you have an avg stack cuz playing for stakes in early stages wont affect that much has in the bubble of ITM or something cuz all your oponents will play more tight that in the middle stages

F

FlyingFitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow down

If you decided to go all in preflop and a few others went in with you and you win giving you a 3/4 times chip lead - slow play hands until you have good cards and dont go all in anymore for you can lose it just as quickly that way in one hand even with pocket aces...

D

DEMDEM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being an early chip leader means you probably won some races, and now ita time to take a quick breather and regroup, I usually sit a patiently play either some really great hands and a few hands you might not ever play in certain positions. The great hands will cover the losses of the off hands but when the off hand flops then I can pull ALL-INs with their AA-1010 and this can really put you around for a while. Takes some practice though..starting out I would just play really good cards 30% of the time, or limp with big and see what pops out, these leads give you the chance to try a few things out

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exploit your opponent,but observe the players stat and avoid being trapped.