Strategies for MTT

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for fun on the MTT at $1 or so and some freerolls that are worth it. I always play fast MTT format which blinds go up every 3-4 mins and the blind structure is aggressive.

I want to talk about the internet everywhere telling us how to play MTT at each stages of a MTT and how the "big stack", "middle stack" and "short stack" should be playing.

I've been watching twitch quite a bit and following certain players on there and reading up on MTT and I've always noticed (especially for freerolls or low stake MTT) that the big stack is aggressive EVEN after the bubble!

The question is...
How wide is his range

My objective is to make the money like most people while keeping 15-20BB once bubble is done and I'm analyzing during the middle tournament and pre-bubble who's stealing from me like crazy (its important for what I'm about to do)

I'm also stalling 15 secs every hand.. They hate me and are annoyed they have me labelled as super tight rock.

Where am I going with this ?

I have 20 BB the bubble is done, everyone folds to the big stack, he raises on the button, SB folds, I'm the BB and I'm going all-in with Ax, Kx, even Qx because the odds are in my favor that he's got nothing.

Last time I did that I had KJs vs T8o .. Im like 65-70% to win this heads up. Sure he can eliminate me but the math don't lie.

Isn't that better then having a strong hand like TT going all-in and getting called with AK .. Thats like 55% or if u have AK 45% yikes.

Doing that twice all-in with 65-70% win rate im now up to 75-80BB and have a shot of winning the tournament while making SURE that I make the bubble since I wasn't taking much risk pre-bubble to bust.

Is this a bad strategy since its different then the internet? They say you must play to win and screw the bubble.

What do you guys think ?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, being a 70/30 favorite is better than a 55/45, no doubt, but you never know what your opponent will hold in these spots.

As a big stack on the button, with action folded around to him, his range is very wide, probably going to open 90% of all hands if not more. I think it all depends on the dynamics of the table, the ICM considerations, and stack to blind ratio. The main reason most articles and strategies tell you to wait for the bubble to pass if short stacked is because it's a +EV decision. Why risk all that time invested if you are going to shove right before the bubble with a medium-strength hand(such as KJo) with 20 BBs or less? It's a losing play, because let's say you weren't in the money yet: 30-35% of the time you are going to be KO'd, with no ROI, just a few wasted hours.

On the other hand, I do believe you have to be aggressive and take the right spots in order to go deep in tournaments, besides running extremely well, of course. And with a big stack to your right, you can take advantage of his opens when you are in the blinds and make some easy increases to your stack, and when the bubble has already passed, this is even more profitable, as you aren't likely to increase your ROI as much by folding and waiting for premium hands w/ 20 BBs, you need to be attentive and take the spots that you should be taking, like the one you mentioned above.

All in all, I would agree with your play, just not if it was before the money bubble. That is what most of these articles and MTT strats are referring to, because it is a losing play to go all-in with KJo w/ 20 BBs vs a button open while you are sitting on the bubble. However, after the bubble has passed, these are the spots and the plays that you need to make in order to go deeper into the tourney.