Strategies for long deep stack tournaments?

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm considering entering a big 2 day long tournament. The blinds go up in small increments once per hour, and we start with 10,000 chips. Entries are limited to 180 players so it won't be quite as crazy as a world series event, but for me it's big. Here is the structure for the first 9 hours:

SB, BB, ante
25 50
50 100
100 200
100 200 25
150 300 25
200 400 50
300 600 75
400 800 100​
500 1000 100

I'm accustomed to much faster increases and shorter starting stacks so I'll be a bit out of my element. Any suggestions on strategies or books dealing with this?

E

empirejeff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Prepare for hours of being board, and moments of excitement/tourture/scaryness, usually right before your oppoent flips over their cards and such, and brfore the remainning cards are delt.

Try to make it to day 2.

Pass the time by getting tells on your oppoents, readding a book, daydream, rest your eyes, talking between hands.

What kind of poker of turnament is this?

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pass the time by getting tells on your oppoents, readding a book, daydream, rest your eyes, talking between hands.

What kind of poker of turnament is this?

lol 1 out of 5 isnt bad

a ) you DO NOT read a book at the poker table
firstly its bad ettiquette and secondly; you are wasting valuable information that is right in front of you. watch how players play their hands and use this time to draw a baseline.

b ) daydreaming is the same thing. You are wasting valuable information that is right in front of you. watch how players play their hands and use this time to draw a baseline.

c ) resting your eyes? sleep at home or when youre dead. you are wasting valuable information that is right in front of you. watch how players play their hands and use this time to draw a baseline.

d ) Talking between hands keeps your eyes off your oppenents. you are wasting valuable information that is right in front of you. watch how players play their hands and use this time to draw a baseline.

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a NLHE tournament, about $600US buyin but I hope to get in on a satellite. I think I can deal with the long hours, what I meant was how should play differ from a normal short stack tournament with no ante. Is TAG the way to go, or should I try to see a few more flops?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It'll heavily depend on table conditions. I tend to play TAG during the first several levels - however, if I see everyone else playing TAG as well, which isn't uncommon in live tourneys, I'll try some moves in late position to see how the table reacts. If I'm successful in stealing/taking pots in position, I'll shift to full LAG mode until someone can shut me down or the situation changes.

Unless you happen to be at a table of online players, I think you'll find the table conditions to be more tight and passive than you'd expect. Don't get too cocky about it (I see a lot of calling stations in live play, so be extremely careful when bluffing - make sure villain will actually fold to a bluff) - but pick out spots where you can steal pots after the first couple of levels.

As above though, pay very close attention to players - find the fish, find the passive, decide on your opportunities, and attack - I think you'll find the skill level through the first 5 tables to be lower than you'd expect.

Be careful with the satty winners - some of them will be very good at aggressive play - but the satty winners may not have live experience, in which case they may have some huge obvious tells.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm accustomed to much faster increases and shorter starting stacks so I'll be a bit out of my element. Any suggestions on strategies or books dealing with this?

Control yourself and take your time.

I've seen Turbo Tournament players play way too fast when in a deep stack tournie and end up getting knocked out early. imo, that would be the biggest difference for this. Offcourse there are other strategies and fundementals, but you probably won't be able to digest them effectly to be used in a few of days.

have fun

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds like a great structure...I'd love to play in a tournament like this. Any good live player would love this tourney. Play your game and don't risk your entire stack in a marginal situation early on....Take it down!

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any suggestions on strategies or books dealing with this?

Read Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed book. It discusses his strategies during his Aussie Millions win. The main things I got from it were to see a few more cheap flops early, and when the antes are large, you should fight for the pots and steal, steal, steal, but back off when someone shows strength.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually enjoy these the most as they remind me of a cash game early when all of the aggrodonks are killing each other off

very late you need to start to switch to a typical mtt style

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a NLHE tournament, about $600US buyin but I hope to get in on a satellite. I think I can deal with the long hours, what I meant was how should play differ from a normal short stack tournament with no ante. Is TAG the way to go, or should I try to see a few more flops?
IMO, play TAG until you find out how the other players are playing, then adjust your play to play the opposite of the other players.
If the table is loose, play TAG until you win a few hands to the point that the other players tighten up then you loosen up a little and keep doing this.
Switch it up often enough to keep your table guessing what mode you're in.

E

empirejeff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Are you saying that their are antties? Why your play would change? When you win a hand, you will win back the ante.. And if their was no ante, then the blinds would be bigger anyway. It is just to reduce pressure on the blinds.
Ante. are really anoying sometimes! NAd if oyu are short stack, then it can really eat away at your chips.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you saying that their are antties? Why your play would change? When you win a hand, you will win back the ante.. And if their was no ante, then the blinds would be bigger anyway. It is just to reduce pressure on the blinds.
Ante. are really anoying sometimes! NAd if oyu are short stack, then it can really eat away at your chips.

That doesn't make any sense. Blinds go up regardless of antes. And antes make it more worthwhile for everyone to fight for a pot, which I think would put more pressure on the blinds. Your strategy should definitely change when antes are introduced, and the more the antes in relationship to the blinds, the more you want to try to steal them.