Starting chips

A

alannalmeida

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, I'd to know you your opinion about starting chips. Most often i prefer tourney where I start with 500 coins. I'm a kind of begginer player. I'm doing it wrong? What do you think guys. Please let me know

Last edited:
J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
will really depend on teh type of tourney you're playing, deepstack will have bigger starting size, those hyper zoom ones can be too much. i like 1500 myself, i think it is just what i've got used to

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
500 chips usually give players hyper-turbo and turbo tournaments, for beginners it is recommended to play slower tournaments !!!!

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
usually I play tournaments 5000 and 1500 form. It should be a very quick tournament this 500 record I ever played was the only spin go

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5,000 starting chips is what I regularly play in.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely can not play the 500 /hperturbo games. Im not new, but i love a long game, and turbo is out of my comfort zone I need to work on it for sure

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, I'd to know you your opinion about starting chips. Most often i prefer tourney where I start with 500 coins. I'm a kind of begginer player. I'm doing it wrong? What do you think guys. Please let me know
In my opinion best tournaments are deep stack tournaments ( meaning starting chips are above 5000) so if you ask me your option to play short stack tournaments isn't great; i'll tell you why are better deep stack tournaments: you may lose chips at the beginning of the tournament without considering you can't come back and become chip leader; so having more chips at the beginning of tournament will give you the chance to make higher bets that way you may build a big stack.One more advantage of deep stack tournaments is that when blinds will grow you may play more hands because your stack will be big enough.Hopefully i was clear enough:p:).

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like regular speed tournaments and deep stacked with much heads up post flop game so I like 3000 , 5000 or bigger starting stacks but I think everyone's preferences varies. The thing is to play whatever you like and whatever suits you better!

drejva11

drejva11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It kinda depends what kind of the tournament is.

C

crisco609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not "doing it wrong" as it really is preference. With the 500 chips though you're most likely playing a hyper turbo or spin-n-go type game, which is a faster pace with more aggressive play. As a new player I'd recommend you play a tourney that has 5k or even 10k starting chips. This will give you more time to adjust your play, and allow you to play more, smaller hands as opposed to the hyper turbo's where playing out a normal hand can eat away a good portion of your chips.

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I quite enjoy 5K starting with 7 min blinds. Deep enough stacks, with quick enough blinds that you can get involved but it isn't too long

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will not play a short stack tournament. I will not play turbo's either. I would much rather play poker than craps, and to me that might as well be what I am playing when I play a short stack, or a turbo tournament because more often than not the blinds will run up and I will be forced to shove or fold. That is not poker to me.

:evil:Zer0:evil:

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most tournaments I play start between 1.5k-5k and that is what I'm used to. No preference really, it all just relates to the blinds. I don't like hyper or even turbo formats, it's too much of a pre-flop shovefest. Less skill involved than a normal or slow format.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Prefer deepstack tournies give you the chance to play poker.:):):)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on the blinds. Prefer 15 minute blinds and 2k or more to start.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, its important how many BB u start, so the chips and the Blind at the start matters. From the beggining, something about 50 BB its ok for me

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I like to start with between 5,000 and 10,000. Take care :cool:

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Starting with 500 is a quick game with lot shoving it in. Might want try 1500 with a 10 minute blind structure for awhile.

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My favourite are the 3000-5000,I hate the ones starting at 100-200k I just cant adapt to them ,as for the 500 as long they are not hyper O dont rly mind.

P

PuntinHundies

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deepstacks for Life!!!

Im really a fan of Deepstack tournaments. Having a deepstack and a slow blind structure allows for maximum playability. In this type of structure, you can take your time and play mostly solid value hands early game, so that you don't have to go allin and gamble for your tournament life!
:2s4::3s4:

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that slow tournaments are better for beginners, and as you learn and adapt you can move to other structures, you can also start in the sng that helps a little, I usually play slow tournaments I feel more comfortable

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suggest you start with regular tournaments (10 minutes blind or more), even if you make some mistakes you have time to "run behind"

T

Toodlesnot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you want skill to be an important part of the game, then go for larger stacks and longer blindslevels.

If you like the aspect of luck, then smaller stacks and shorter blindslevels.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care the coins or chips, but more the m-ratio, the number of hands you can play.
I prefer normal or deep, with not too many players, cc FRc is perfect.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small starting stacks means aggressive opponents

When you start with a small chip stack you will find your opponents are usually much more aggressive in the beginning of the tournament. You will need to jump at any great hole cards because trying to wait out the big betters will just deplete your stack and your chances get worse by the minute. With more starting chips you can sometimes wait out the aggressive and yes also the crazies until enough of them are eliminated.

I assumed this is tournament play where everyone starts with the same size stack.

Last edited:
Poker Chips - History of Chips