Start at the beginning or Late entry

C

ClearEnigma

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to the group and looking forward having another resource for info.

Something to think about..
Do you prefer to start tournaments at the beginning or do you join late for a reason?

Ross McCollum

Ross McCollum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I see it, you only get so many opportunities to play good hands in tournaments. Coming in late, you are potentially missing the opportunity to make your first wins and start building your stack.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on how good you are. The better players should enter early as it gives them the best opportunity to build their stack. The rest of us probably do better entering late and relying more on luck to double/triple up, or bust.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on mind-set that day, prefer to start early//

Do you prefer to start tournaments at the beginning or do you join late for a reason?

If I know I have three hours+ of free time, I prefer to start at the beginning. Not just because I'll see more hands, more opportunities to double up Starting early in tourney I have a sense of ritual, I've done better starting from the very beginning.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either one's o k to do. Just make sure the blinds are not too high if you start late. If you start way too late you end up having to shove all your hands until you chip up. I would say make sure your starting stack would be at least 20 bbs or more.

gorbonz2020

gorbonz2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was playing mostly on acr I 75%of time start late on the tournaments I think I only cashed 2 times starting at absolute beginning and 6 out of ten tournaments I enter late I place somewhere in money, idk if site or too long but if I was to play any tournament live or on any other site I most likely play all at start of tournament.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play at the start of a tournament,,,and i think late reg should be abolished,,,it serves no purpose,other than to make more money for the website. :pcguru: And that is no concern of mine!

Ross McCollum

Ross McCollum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play at the start of a tournament,,,and i think late reg should be abolished,,,it serves no purpose,other than to make more money for the website. :pcguru: And that is no concern of mine!

I think that there is a legit reason for a grace period, sometimes you are just running late. But I agree and generally hate long late reg periods.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be viewed in two ways.First is the site way and that is that the late registration is offered by the poker sites as the option for the players who want to play specific tournament but they cannot make in time so they get chance by late registration to succeed in participating and it is great economic for poker site because then more money will inculcate in the prize stack so it means more money for the site.Second reason is the player way and it is the really best way to see how someone think and experience poker.Someone like to play it from the beginning and take all the action from the start,maybe some monster hand hit him in the early stage and he then manage to significantly increase his stack or to really feel the game and players.Others on the other hand have different idea to late register in the game so that they can play it more aggressively or they are just ****y and they think that they are so good so they can have luxury starting in little worse position comparing to starting players.That should result for them to not have to wait a lot of cards before they decide to go all.They may double their stack or if nobody follows them and they win blinds couple of time they can interpret that to play more aggressively and continue to still the blinds.

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to start early, but like someone mentioned early, I find it more successful going in late. Countless times I grind from the beginning just to have someone jump in late and constantly go all in, I wait to pop them and get sucked out on their Q-5 bullshit. I've recently noticed, that I'll jump in some of the really low stakes MTT super late while I'm working on something else, then careless shove and end up leading more than not.....just doesn't seem right, it's like the less I care the better I do.. Of course that kind of play only works to early-mid stages. Never lasts.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I used to enter late on netbet and places which had more prize places, however the need to win and not just simply cash, has lead me to want to chip up whenever possible and better to maximise chances of that,
I may also add that at times and tough spots I've been in when joined late had always gotten me thinking "how easier would it have beed if I had started at the beginning and had more chips" , i feel it's easier to win tournaments when in "cruise mode" , that is having very large stack and still making plays with strong hands, dominating going to final table or heads up ....

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I always try to start playing from the beginning of the tournament

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some players join in tournamentwhen they have 20bbs or less,because some players love to play fast,and dont love to play 4 hours tournament,if he join in the end of late registration he will shove good hands and double up or triple up and go to average stack and save 1 -2 hours of playing tournament,but these method is risk,so if you new poker players strat on beginning of tournament!

TudorPithon

TudorPithon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
depending, when the nr of players are very big i prefer to wait and join late reg

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it depends on tournament your playin, without re-buy i would get there in time and play from beginning, but i guess you can go crazy in some re-buy tournament go 20 mins before late registration and go all in every hand :D. I don't do it but many people do, but still safe and normal play from the beginning is the best in my opinion.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say almost always start at the beginning except if late reg is really long or you fell really comfortable at that stake

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on the format of the MTT. Some tournaments have such a long late registration period that they are just too long to start from the beginning

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always start at the beginning when I can but often have other things on my plate and cannot join till later. Late registration often works out for me, but again, I really prefer to be in from the start.

:icon_puke

Last edited:
57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I like to start at the beginning of a Tournament. You get to see more hands, blinds and antes are cheaper at the beginning.

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to prefer being in from the first hand, but lately I’ve been late registering more and more tournaments. The old adage that “you can’t win a tournament in the early stages, you can only lose it” has pushed me to start registering about half way through the late registration period.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Late registration can be useful but the sites have taken them too far. I would rather play from the beginning of the tournament. There is nothing more satisfying than being a top 5 stack 2 hours into the event when late registration ends. Also why would I want to join in so late. We all started playing for the love on the game so why would I want to join in so late that I may be in push or fold mode just as I join the tournament, Really what fun is that. Even if I double up 1st hand I still am a short stack.

I do think having a few levels of late registration is not a bad thing but no more than 2-3 levels. I will join late if I am running late or just getting on but never after the 1st 3 levels.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's best to come in on time. It gives you the opportunity to build a stack. You get to see more hands at a cheaper price. You have more time to see how the others around you play. Not to mention when you come in really late, you're coming in short stacked. Now you have some ground to make up.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
personally I like to register late, when the tournament is very slow and the late registration is very long, I try to register at a point where the blinds are not so high, so that it does not affect me, for me it is things of comfort

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, depends on the stakes. Ideally you start early and rack up a few wins so later registering players have to catch up. But I've finished 10 top in tourneys where I joined late so either works. The benefit of jumping in late is you will get more calls on good hands but also run the rish of losing it all because other players are a bit more loose.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends a lot on the tournament structure. If its a turbo/super turbo then by the time you get in, the blinds will already be pretty high compared to your starting stack. If its a deepstack tourney this could be fine.. but starting with 10-15 blinds can be kinda difficult, if you lose your first hand your pretty much in push/fold territory.

If you are a good player and have an edge then you want to play as long as possible to get a chip stack up before the blinds are bigger. I prefer to join at the start (or near it) and play somewhat tight and will try not to take any huge risks.

Joining at the very end of late reg. could save a lot of invested time, but you end up with much less blinds too start off.