The start of a rebuy $25 tournament

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, you are BB and the $25 rebuy tournament just started. By the time it gets to you there are 4 allins and you have 67s. The rebuy period is 60 minutes - what would you do call or fold ?

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, you are BB and the $25 rebuy tournament just started. By the time it gets to you there are 4 allins and you have 67s. The rebuy period is 60 minutes - what would you do call or fold ?

i've seen this happen actually. i would fold 67 because with 4 all ins they are likely not good. i'd rather have aces even though the "math" says i shouldn't want that vs 4.

anyway, if it's a charity rebuy donkathon then yes, by all means call. but if you are actually playing it then its more important to see what those players pushed with. fold and take note of their skill/strategy and hten exploit as you go.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would fold this hand all day. Yes if you win you have a big stack but it going all in with this type of hand what you really want to play? I would would want to see and remember what hand these fools are pushing with so I could us it against them in the future.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i've seen this happen actually. i would fold 67 because with 4 all ins they are likely not good. i'd rather have aces even though the "math" says i shouldn't want that vs 4.

anyway, if it's a charity rebuy donkathon then yes, by all means call. but if you are actually playing it then its more important to see what those players pushed with. fold and take note of their skill/strategy and hten exploit as you go.

I am not sure why is calling an option, even if the tournament is a donkathon (cool term! ).
You would need a monster board like 667 or an easy straight to win it all. You might say that you are getting good odds to call, but with 67, I wouldn't even be discussing it.

This is a rebuy and people tend to shove more often, then just wait for a good, strong hand and then call.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure why is calling an option, even if the tournament is a donkathon (cool term! ).
You would need a monster board like 667 or an easy straight to win it all. You might say that you are getting good odds to call, but with 67, I wouldn't even be discussing it.

This is a rebuy and people tend to shove more often, then just wait for a good, strong hand and then call.

if you look at the stats though, 5 handed your best hands are suited connectors since they are most likely to straight or flush where hands like ak jj or similar would have blockers that would prevent them from improving.

the reason i mentioned a charity donkathon, some are designed for multiple rebuys and you go into it knowing you'll rebuy a handful of times to support them and/or to have any hope of winning. personally, when i've played them i play tight becuase i cant afford multiple rebuys. so i fold it, but i can easily see how a lot of people could rightly play it.

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold unless you came to gamble early and rebuy multiple times, if so then call and you could get a big stack if the cards fall nicely.

jappchop

jappchop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
def fold just wait yr time till you get some decent hands

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fold unless you want to build other peoples stack.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mentality of wanting to quadruple up or rebuy is really really bad, and it's sometimes rampant in live re-entry tournaments when the buyin is quite low.

But the truth is if you're playing to win and you play for money, the amount of the buyin should matter to the point where you want to make good plays, right? Just because you have the option to rebuy doesn't mean you should be looking to punt the money in at any opportunity. When you DO quadruple up, it's great, but it doesn't make you twice as likely to win the tournament. But when you lose, you bust and presumably are buying back in, with again the same opportunity to win the tournament. The math here is more complex than that, but I hope you can see what I'm saying.

Having a big stack early doesn't even really make it that likely you win the thing is my point.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Its a clear fold,in that situation on beginning of tournament you can go to gamble because if you call with this hand you go to gamble,some players on rebay tournament go all in and call all in with marginal hands trying to double up or triple up,but these is a bad play,25 dollar buy in tournament is not small buy in,so fold and wait better spot,in that pozition you call AA,KK,QQ fold,AK fold....

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard enough to win an all in with a good hand against 4 people never mind 67. Fold fast and don't look back. Walk away from the table if you have to. That way if your long shot comes in you won't know about it and you'll be less likely to go on tilt as a result.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok my take

If I plan on 1 or 2 rebuys I'm calling with 67s since it's the 1st hand and has about a 24% chance to win in this spot:fight:. If I am not rebuying it's a instead fold.

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation is a clear fold utilizing any type of strategy, it has been covered by many other players above. I want to watch the players in the hand and hopefully see most of the hands to see what they would go all-in with. Also, I would use this opportunity to hear the table chatter - glean some info from other players "I would never go in with that or I would need at least XX to call the all-in. This could be the most useful info you can get from a scenario like this.

SoCal

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you win you have borderline worthless chips that can now be leveraged with minimal risk against other players. If you lose you lose your tournament life. The re-buy are a terrible incentive. I would fold all day. If this was final table and it was 5 all ins then I'd call if it was 56 suited.

Actually id still let people bust out id still would not call. If it was a cash game id call maybe since they are just the correct odds though things happen.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely fold. You are just hoping to get lucky if you call.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would be just over 17% to win vs a bunch of hands that donks are likely to first round shove, and I included one with pocket aces in there for probable worst case scenario, so in that case you'd be behind. If the strongest pocket pair is jacks, then you are better than 20%, which means that you are ahead of the pot odds and it's +EV. If you feel like it's a coin toss, go for it. Whether you fold or don't, make note of who shoved with what and also their reaction to the results. That's an +EV move also. At $25, I think your bankroll would have to be pretty deep to mess around with coin tosses. But I don't know tournament BRM, only for cash games.

(I used for my calculations https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/texas-holdem. )

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would fold.

Ususally high cards perform best mass in all ins, so flipping with
7 high is a bad deal ;)

devisam

devisam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold. can wait and patience for big stacks

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you assume all the other players have high cards and are blocking each other, your suited connectors are actually not that bad. In this situation, you probably have more equity than KJo or something like that.

In any case, you're putting your tournament life on the line and rebuys are not great, all they do is put you back with the same amount of chips you had at the start of the game. If you are confident about your game, you should wait for spots where you can play post-flop and exploit the other players.