Stalling tactic

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
last night I played with a guy and the tournament structure was 27 get paid there where 30 left he just took a bad beat and was left with $967 with the antes eating up his chip count he managed to stall the timer long enough and finished in 27th place

I loved it to see someone try that hard to cash and even stalled once for him of course the stalling didn't help once it came to 28 players it goes hand for hand but he managed to survive even that and get paid

I just wanted to hear what you guys think of this stalling tactic I haven't personally used it for myself even in the above mentioned tourney I finished in 6th on my own but I do love the sound of it

you gotta do what you gotta do

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it sounds painful. I hate it when they stall like that. It is so boring watching the timer timedown and then knowing they are going to be doing it again and again and again:( Some money sounds better than no money so I can see why they might try it.

But your post got me to ask someone a question about this if it is a good strategy to use ever. They said maybe in a satellite when the blinds are just about to be going up and alot of the players have very small chipstacks it might be a good idea to try to time down so that the blinds go up and put pressure on some of the other players. Sounds interesting but I have not played in a satellite yet ha ha.

Congrats on 6th!

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it sounds painful. I hate it when they stall like that. It is so boring watching the timer timedown and then knowing they are going to be doing it again and again and again:( Some money sounds better than no money so I can see why they might try it.

But your post got me to ask someone a question about this if it is a good strategy to use ever. They said maybe in a satellite when the blinds are just about to be going up and alot of the players have very small chipstacks it might be a good idea to try to time down so that the blinds go up and put pressure on some of the other players. Sounds interesting but I have not played in a satellite yet ha ha.

Congrats on 6th!

haha yeah thank ya I noticed there are perfect times to use it such as if a break is coming you can just hold on and the break will be here while the other tables might have to play another hand and possibly have a player elminated it def has it's moments and is something a lot of players should learn how to use

I remember when I played in my first live tourney I checked the clock and was the small blind so I waited a little let it run out that way next hand blinds went up and I had nothing to pay cost the next two players a little extra

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stalling is important in satellites, but not in MTT´s, but sometimes i do it (one of my weaknesses) guilty !! LOL

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it when players stall, just to make it into the money. MTT play is about winning the Game and not just cashing into it. Also stalling does not really help, you are going to be really short when the blind go up to the next level.

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen people do this quite a bit and most of the time it is not a big deal. The only time that I saw this and it pissed me off was we were no where near the bubble. There were still over 1k people left in the tourny and this guy did it every hand for over an hour. I checked my stats and we played about 15 hands in that hour.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen people do this quite a bit and most of the time it is not a big deal. The only time that I saw this and it pissed me off was we were no where near the bubble. There were still over 1k people left in the tourny and this guy did it every hand for over an hour. I checked my stats and we played about 15 hands in that hour.

Yeah met a few of those myself. It drives me crazy. Especially midway through the tournament if your running average. Every hand you can see before the next blind increase could be the difference in staying ahead and having to go into push mode.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing fewer hands benefits those of lower skill levels, so if your not a skilled player it's to your advantage to stall.
The main advantage of online poker; with multi tabling & no dealer, many more hands per hour may be played, thus allowing players to gain experience & knowledge, (Nowledge) if your from Nebraska, thus increasing your skill level much faster. So if your not a skilled player, it's to your advantge not to stall.
Hope that clears things up for you.

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started doing it before breaks play one less hand that way and I will slow down my play when it gets close to playout I don't let it time out but I will at least let the timer come up maybe go to half

I got the skill to stay in and cash out no problem but I don't wanna catch a monster hand and lose out to a incredibly lucky player

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stalling is stupid, since people are being nitball on the bubble you want to get as many hands in as possible, so opening ATC with stallers at your table is profitable

C

c double

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's pretty selfish to affect 9 other players results just for your benefit IMO

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In my case it was as the entire table was so far behind the rest of the pack pretty much everyone was out of it including the staler.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should do what's in your best interest no matter the effect on the other players at the table. Note that I am not saying it's okay to stall.

There's a problem in that "what's in your best interest" is partly subjective. So for example, compare stalling near the bubble in order to ensure min-cashing in a tournament where that would mean a few cents or even a few dollars vs. a tournament you probably satellited into where min-cashing would be thousands of dollars.

Similarly with AA near the bubble in the same hypothetical situations.

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should do what's in your best interest no matter the effect on the other players at the table. Note that I am not saying it's okay to stall.

There's a problem in that "what's in your best interest" is partly subjective. So for example, compare stalling near the bubble in order to ensure min-cashing in a tournament where that would mean a few cents or even a few dollars vs. a tournament you probably satellited into where min-cashing would be thousands of dollars.

Similarly with AA near the bubble in the same hypothetical situations.

I understand that near the bubble. I dont understand it an hour+ away from the bubble.

B

beerzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends of the tournament structure, but yeah it's kinda of discusting, but i won't lie, I've done it in a few satellites :)

C

Caesura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all's fair in poker except collusion, and tracking software is accepted then stalling is the least of your worries

coyotegal

coyotegal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes those with a big stack later in the tournaments do it to raise the blinds higher... I'm talking about turbos in that case... of course some do it for the reasons the OP stated ...just to hang in there, hoping to cash.... it drives me nuts on a single table sng when someone does it every time... waits till the end of the timer to play or fold.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the worst is when they stall and its down to playing hand for hand at each table. I hate stalling!

solid4

solid4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think stalling is a very important strategy in the game. Anything to throw a player off there game is helpful. If they are watching my timer they are not thinking about what cards I could have, what my bet size is, or how many outs they have. So put the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz on my table and I will make you so aggravated you push all in with a 9 2 off to get away from the slow play. Unless my chip stack says I need to see fast blinds.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think stalling is a very important strategy in the game. Anything to throw a player off there game is helpful. If they are watching my timer they are not thinking about what cards I could have, what my bet size is, or how many outs they have. So put the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz on my table and I will make you so aggravated you push all in with a 9 2 off to get away from the slow play. Unless my chip stack says I need to see fast blinds.

terrible strategy

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you email the poker site when a player is doing that?

tonybill76

tonybill76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know, a lot of people play to win. If I'm short stack and it's close to the button I'm doing whatever I can to at least get my entry back at the minimum. If it involves stalling, then so be it. My main goal is to first off make a profit, any profit. If I'm in good position once we are in the money then I'll play to win.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know, a lot of people play to win. If I'm short stack and it's close to the button I'm doing whatever I can to at least get my entry back at the minimum. If it involves stalling, then so be it. My main goal is to first off make a profit, any profit. If I'm in good position once we are in the money then I'll play to win.

dont play tournaments if this is your mindset

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you email the poker site when a player is doing that?

I doubt it as I do not think that they are breaking any rules. Just bad manners I guess. Like I said I do not know.