Stalling

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players that are near the bubble, that use all of their extra time and waste as much time as possible before folding.

Is this OK, or not OK?

Thanks.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfectly fine and to be expected. It happens in live games too.

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep as you near the bubble everyone at all the tables will be doing it, which I guess technically means that it does no good - since everyone is doing it.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This happens all the time, and as Jilly said, is to be expected. Sometimes annoying, but I suppose it's good for everyone at the table, as you pay less blinds and antes.

What really makes mt lol, is when everyone is hand-for hand, and you still get one or two players doing it at your table. At that point, it's an exercise in futility.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stalling is fun :) helps u get to the cash especially when u are short stacked, but are not the bubble :D

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's totally fine. It's a form of game management. Kind of like trying to time the blinds so they go up while you're in SB :)

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the super turbo satellites at Full Tilt, stalling is a powerful weapon. You will see most players using it when their stacks are small and the bubble is close. If you are not taking advantage of the little time you get, you will be playing at a disadvantage.

FreeRollWannabe

FreeRollWannabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, to the above posts I have this to add as well:

I often feel "forced" into stalling, even with a mediocore sized stack I'll stall. When all of the short stacks that are not on your table are stalling, I feel that having my table play fewer hands evens out the odds.

I know if I wouldn't take my time I'd be paying more big blinds than the majority of the other players. A disadvantage I don't like living with.

FLyby

FLyby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling is something that is there for you to use. I have seen and done it my self when the bubble is close and you are low on chips. I can see where on a cash table it would be annoying but you can just get up and move to another one. I don't see it as a big deal in a Trny.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have used this "defense" when close to the bubble. Even in a Rush Tourney, I click sit out next hand before I make my next move.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Stalling, while sometimes annoying, is just part of the game. Never worries me.

If you wish to stall close to the bubble, be mindfull of your stack size relative to the next SB/BB level. If you are short stacked but with enough chips to pay for the current SB & BB, it may be to your advantage not to stall, so you can afford those blinds. Then stall after.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always felt this was standard practice online, but didn't know it was also done live. Do people sitting at the table have to constantly be calling clock? Or is it more like, think 10-15 seconds before deciding? I don't play much live tournament poker (not many of them in Japan).

T

TheWize1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling or "SITTING OUT" is part of the strategy in poker

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont unerstand while med-stacks do this when the blinds raise as the time goes by

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this regularly when im shortstacked especially when im just trying to make the money as opposed to trying to win the tournement outright...so in my opinion good stategy if all you want to do is make the cash but if youre going for the win and dont care about the lower money payouts this is a good time to play and steal chips from those that are playing extra tight.

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, use the clock to your advantage. We can use the clock to avoid the bubble with a smallstack or get one player rather than other to get the blind increase or give someone time to reconnect or to not give them time to reconnect or to annoy someone or help someone or get maximum/minimum number of hands before table rearrangement or delay a break...

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always felt this was standard practice online, but didn't know it was also done live. Do people sitting at the table have to constantly be calling clock? Or is it more like, think 10-15 seconds before deciding? I don't play much live tournament poker (not many of them in Japan).

When I was playing in the ME of the APT in Manila, there was one Dutch guy that stalled on every single hand for the last 90 minutes. He had an average stack and simply wanted to make sure he survived to Day 2.

It was quite infuriating to the rest of us at the table, to be honest, especially the shorter stacks who just wanted to find a hand to either double up with or go home. When he was called on it, he just seemed to slow down even more.

As for online, this is just part of the game. It can be annoying at times, but there's very little that can be done. Just don't let it put you on tilt.

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
i hated that most on freerolls when they start stalling for fu..ing 20,30 cents lol like they will win that 30 cents and then make 100k dollars from them;p

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i can confirm this thread is 100% A o K with stalling :D
To stall or not to stall, that is NOT A QUESTION! it is a simple YES! U NIT! DO IT! TO MAKE THE CASH! hahahha

But i guess if u are the chip leader, all you gata do is min raise or x3 bet, u will be able to steal more easily, bc no one wants to risk bubbling. I have folded AK bc the big stack shoved all in on me, i kow i had him beat! his Steal rate was above 50% but did i call? nope, bc i didnt want him to get his 35% on me and take me out. However, if im bigger than him heck yes im calling! :)
Im taking into consideration his range is wider if he is short stacked, then again, it could be tighter as well and i may have ran into AA-1010

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just realized at the Rush Tourneys, if you are going to fold, but want to see the rest of the hand, you can SIT OUT and it will let you see the rest of the hand at that table.

JMTalbert

JMTalbert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling or sitting out is interesting in the Rush Tournaments. The rules state that the blinds are paid by the person at the table who has gone the longest without paying a blind. If you sit out, you would likely pay blinds more than once every nine hands. Just the same, if you fold quickly, in theory, you should be able to see more than nine hands per blind.

I'm curious if anyone has done the math on this...

V

Valeo4Venia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been known to do it myself to help get rid of those annoying small stacks that ive watched stay in on instead of skill. Its a great way to get the blinds up quickly and demins the small stack simply by blinding them out to the point they have to push or shove.

E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using your time up is a judgment call based on your circumstances in the tournament. As to the claim that every table does this is not necessarily true. I have seen some tables slow playing while another play quite a bit faster.

Bubble time is an opportune one for an aggressive player to steal blinds as many players are afraid to call and jeopardize their opportunity to cash. Your actions in large part depend on your goals in playing the tournament.

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling is something that is there for you to use. I have seen and done it my self when the bubble is close and you are low on chips. I can see where on a cash table it would be annoying but you can just get up and move to another one. I don't see it as a big deal in a Trny.
here here. i always stall when near the bubble. it is perfectly legit.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to call it Clock and Time Management rather than stalling.

Should you always Stall....NO...because the increase in blinds can eat you up. So standard answer is IT DEPENDS

I wrote a very basic thread on this idea. It's geared to Satellite Mtts rather than regular mtts but should give you an idea.

Again this was geared to satties rather than regular tournies