Squeeze Play Sizing Survey. Open to all Tournament Players to Participate!

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was getting a feel for where my son is at in tournament poker as I have been teaching him how to play for about 6 months now and I feel he is absorbing it well. I got some confirmation of this today when I posed the following situation to him.

Rather than divulge his answers I pose the question to you all and I will reveal my answer and his as well about a week down the road after I have seen some thread participation.

For now I will tell you that my sons answer matched mine exactly for the first question about the hand.

We differed on opinion for the second question about the sizing to get it through. I thought the question interesting enough to pose it all to you:

You are in an 8 max freezout. Everyone has about a 25k stack. Blinds are 300/600 with an extra 600 ante posted by the big blind.

5 players limp before you and its to you in the big blind. Lets assume for the sake of simplicity UTG folds.

1) What is the minimum hand that you would consider a squeeze bet with?

and

2) How much do you squeeze bet?

Feel free to include any explanation or formulation you wish along with your answer.

Free likes for all who participate with serious answers.

I will post my original answer as well as my son's next Sunday.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table dynamics could possibly change this answer but having just sat down probably 64s as a bluff and AJo as value raise. I almost always would elect to squeeze here. The hand begins with 2.5bb and with 5 limps there’s 7bb in dead money. I’m going to squeeze here with a wide range. I’m raising 9bb

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like Eric said, 9-10 BB would be fine, I would use any playable hand, suited connectors or gapers ,any ace, K9+,Q10 ... . If players on the table don’t slow play big hands, I would consider even to go all in

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bumping up for more views and participation. Cheers.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the opponents and their limp call/limp fold stats and if they are LAG or TAG.

If the table is tight, I would raise with a wide range to get them easily to fold. 5-8bb should be fine with something like 55+ KTs+ AT+ A5s-A2s; Maybe some KQo QTs QJs JTs T9s aswell. it depends a lot on table Dynamics. I raise here because I want them to fold.

if we have something like 15-20bb I would shove here from time to time with a quite wide range because we have enough fold equity.

if there are a lot of calling stations, I would only raise to 6bb-10bb with a tight range like 99+ AQ+. why? because if I raise Hands that don't Play well post flop I build a huge pot which is not necessary with 40bb+ Deep. You put yourself in an uncomfortable Situation. Therefor I raise with strong Hands and want them to pay big with their weaker Hand.

let's say we have KTs and raise to 7bb and get 2 caller. Pot ~26bb; stack behind: 34bb
as you see, you have just a Little over pot size behind OTF.
flop Comes A 9 7 rainbow.
so you cbet 10bb OOP and turn your Hand into a complete bluff.
Let's say you get 1 caller. Pot~46bb; stack behind: 24bb
doesn't matter which turn Comes, we can't beat Ax and any other bet means all-in. checking could Show weakness and if he bets we can't call.

But with such Deep stacks I would rather limp behind small pocket pairs and weak Aces instead of raising big.

Last edited:
fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop there is 7BB in the pot. I'd bump it up to 6BB with any pair, suited connectors, any A-x and any broadway combo.

This only has to work 46% of the times to be profitable. If called we have 35BB left.

The pot is now 18BB. We can most likely eliminate AT+, 77+ from our opponents ranges.

If we get a call it is most likely 22-66, KQ and Axs type hands.
If the flop is good for our range we can ramp up the pressure with our perceived range by c-betting 6BB.

If we get called the pot is 30BB and we have 29BB left.

It all depends on the turn and the ranges we assign to our opponent. If we feel like the turn is good for his range, we shut down and preserve our stack. If we think that the turn missed his range, but most likely benefits our perceived range, we pounce hard and get it all in as a bluff.

Last edited:
ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One final bump and one day more to participate with your answer. Thanks to all who posted! Your likes are in the mail.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was getting a feel for where my son is at in tournament poker as I have been teaching him how to play for about 6 months now and I feel he is absorbing it well. I got some confirmation of this today when I posed the following situation to him.

Rather than divulge his answers I pose the question to you all and I will reveal my answer and his as well about a week down the road after I have seen some thread participation.

For now I will tell you that my sons answer matched mine exactly for the first question about the hand.

We differed on opinion for the second question about the sizing to get it through. I thought the question interesting enough to pose it all to you:

You are in an 8 max freezout. Everyone has about a 25k stack. Blinds are 300/600 with an extra 600 ante posted by the big blind.

5 players limp before you and its to you in the big blind. Lets assume for the sake of simplicity UTG folds.

1) What is the minimum hand that you would consider a squeeze bet with?

and

2) How much do you squeeze bet?

Feel free to include any explanation or formulation you wish along with your answer.

Free likes for all who participate with serious answers.

I will post my original answer as well as my son's next Sunday.

I'm betting big for a cold 3-bet squeeze from the BB.

I usually like 3x plus 1BB for each limper.....which is 8BB - pretty big. I'm trying to pick up the pot right here.

If anybody flats in position they usually have a speculative hand like T7s.

That's been my experience.

So my range? Ax Kx QJ JTs T9s - and pairs >88

Good luck !

T

Trixster61

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just flat call as well. Lets see the flop then if I hit a good flop slow play... people will keep in with almost anything. I am looking to win the tournament in this position.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Squeezing 5 players? Bad idea.

Shoving AK AQs 99+

Calling with anything else.