Sportsmanship vs Site rules

G

gnarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never played ACR much until recently-

I am noticing alot of people that enter the large field tournaments- just before late reg ends- and slow playing. Doesn't seem to happen on other sites as much

For example- a tournament that had 5 hours of play now has 120 people left and plays like 90 spots.

Are there any site rules against this? Is it profitable? Bad sportsmanship?

Seems a bad look to me, but the site seems to allow it.

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trapping donks

its a net,dont like it,dont play on acr.....but the reggies have a donk trap,and you just seen it.....got to adjust your game to play with them,or just dont play with em at all,because all the reggies play that way there,buyer beware for sure,good luck on the felts baby:cool:

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that works on pokerstars. The blind/ante structure is such that if you pop in near the end of late registration you HAVE to play and WIN a few hands to make it ITM. 95% of players play much more cautiously when they get close to the bubble. You can't just sit there and wait - you'll blind out.

The advantage to playing from the beginning is that gives you the opportunity to get really deep so that you have a chance to win big rather than just placing.

Last edited:
Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the times I enter these kinds of tournaments early and try to build a big stack, so that I can call these lateregs all/ins easily with respective hands. If that doesn't work out, I might late enter again to give it a shot. Unfortunately you have to jump on this slowplay train, because all other tables do as well. It is just as it is, we cannot change the rules, we have to adapt. On the other hand it is most of the time easy to steal some blinds, when you see some ppl at your table only waiting for the bubble to burst.

A

Allanjyork

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats America's Card Room- very commonly spelled ACR. One of the biggest poker sites.
Thanks gnarus. I mostly play on partypoker. That's where I have done my best. 888 poker was decent when I started but they want me to send my passport into them before I deposit. So I said f that.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally not a fan of late/re-entry mtts. In the example you give the issue is worsened by the fact that if a certain number of people late reg in that scenario and the number of entrants reaches the next breakpoint the number of spots paid increases to the point that these players have essentially late registered into the money. Must be profitable or I suspect it wouldn't be happening. Bad sportsmanship I don't know, I think its definitely in poor taste but it's a situation that shouldn't even be allowed to happen. If it's possible there will be those who exploit it. As far as site rules are concerned, allowing it to be possible and saying 'don't do it' doesn't make sense. Remove the extremely long late registration period and solve the problem. Their website says late registration up to 180 minutes but I wanna say I've seen late reg periods like you describe.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the extended re-buy tourneys but if they are going to have it like that I will use it. I won't wait until the last minute but it will be in the last 15 minutes as most of the donks will have spent the $2 they won in a freeroll.:D:D

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what stars does now but if I recall correctly they used to run their mtts with late registration until the first player was eliminated. I thought that was a reasonable way to do it.

G

gnarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the times I enter these kinds of tournaments early and try to build a big stack, so that I can call these lateregs all/ins easily with respective hands.

This is def the most + ev way to play. But the good tourneys- the ones with a reasonable buying for a large prize- are so long. 5 hours of rebuys- and then probably another 4-5 hours after. Very rare I can find that kind of time.

If this is profitable- it may have a higher $ per hour- even with a lower ROI.

G

gnarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what stars does now but if I recall correctly they used to run their mtts with late registration until the first player was eliminated. I thought that was a reasonable way to do it.

Wow I never heard of that- I def miss stars as an American! SO I guess there was a mad dash to sign up for a tournament the second it went up? If the 1st player didn't get eliminated how would late registration end?

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I never heard of that- I def miss stars as an American! SO I guess there was a mad dash to sign up for a tournament the second it went up? If the 1st player didn't get eliminated how would late registration end?
To be clear late registration ended at the first elimination, so as soon as someone was put out of the tournament late registration ended.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars Poker Rules - Poker Games