Sounds silly, but new to the co concept of late reg.

J

JEasyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started playing online poker a year ago on global poker as J-Easy. Slowly learning a whole lot and play mostly mtts. Because my introduction to online poker was on Global poker, I have rarely seen late registration available for ANY tournament, let alone almost ALL. Which it what I am seeing now that I just made my first deposit on ACR (sn Erin-Hunter). I guess my questions is... what Benafits do you get from registering 6 or 7 levels into a tournament when your starting stack is so low compared to the blinds? Am I missing something, or should I only use late registration very early in MTTs. Thank you in advance for any advice and hopefully I managed to put this in the correct forum. :)

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people use late registration to avoid the maniacs who go all in the first 3, 5, 10, 20 hands of an MTT freeroll. They'd rather take a chance with their short stack than face the ridiculous play of those who go all in just to steal 60 chips' worth of blinds.

S

Scott Rzonos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Short answer

Is none, you go into a tourney 7 lvls deep you missed a great opportunity to chip up and now it's costing you much more to see a flop.

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late reg is awesome, for closing into the $$$ quickly, although you will have less blinds to work with overall. I prefer it in deeper stacked events. and YES to the early "all-in" luck-boxes, some you can dodge, some will have monster stacks because of their random aggressiveness.

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a post about this not long ago myself. I came to the conclusion aj1300 has it right. I'd much rather register a few levels in and risk getting knocked out by a (hopefully) more solid player than bust in the first couple hands because some nut wants to shove with 94o and gets lucky on the flop

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes joining late has that advantage of not falling prey to the all ins with whatever. But by playing only premium hands in the beginning and protecting them, you should come out ahead in the long run.

B

B1961579

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless it's a freeroll or micro level, I typically only join a tournament during late registration if it's the early stages, say 10-15 minutes past the start of the tournament. As mentioned above, if you wait too long you can miss out on great opportunities to chip up. If you come in just a bit late, you can avoid some of the all-in craziness, but still not be at a great disadvantage chip-wise. Also, there are no silly questions in poker. Good to ask, and have a complete picture.

Last edited:
cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s too much painfull to play for 3 or 4 hours to get the buble and wait 2hours of late registration.I prefer playing hiper turbo tourneys.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is sometimes beneficial to "snipe" into the very end of late reg. If you can see a clear path to the money and know it's only a few bust outs away, you can jump in (very) late and score at least a min cash with a high degree of certainty. Then if you can run deep, it's all profit. This is more likely if the tourney has a large overlay.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people get worn out by the long duration of playing MTT, so they late reg and keep themselves performing the best they can during the tournament rather than getting exhausted play several hours of it.

F

faknerix1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sharing a Late reg tactic that works

The fact that patience is a virtue when playing poker, actually players who have no patience will most commonly lose their stack faster than the time it would take to reach the blinds levels where you would be at level 7-10, so inpatient players oftentimes like to late reg - big blinds, and if they're seated on a table without any sharks who have managed to 10x their starting stack, a well-placed all in from time and time again will often make the opponents fold, if played right - impression is key in poker. Let the opponents think you're short-stack tilting when holding high pocket pairs or bullets (AA), go all in after playing a hand (make good use of time, so everyone notices your hand, and showdown), with a smaller winning chance, if possible, get the player who seems to play safest in a hand (to avoid any re-raise that steals half your stack), and keep on continuation betting, but place small bets, who seem insecure and as obvious bluffs - the pot is 1500, you raise 150. 10% raise, if the opponent is holding high cards, or 4/5 straight or flush draws, chances are that you are ahead if holding any pair, but the % of fulfilling the flush/straight (35% after flop on flush, 32,5% with straight draw, open-ended of course, half if gutshot draw) will most likely make most players call a 150 raise, even though there's approximately 2/3 chance of not hitting the hand, and with a flop of 2-5-9, nobody expects anyone to hit anything, and if so, they can still win with high cards, or the flush/straight they're hunting. Lets say the odds play out as it most likely will in this situation, the opponent is sitting with unpaired 5678, he/she will either bluff bet, or check. Even though you actually hit a pair (with your crappy cards , let's say 2-8o), checking might be the best option, thus having a showdown and telling the whole world that you're the kind of fish-player that goes into a hand with a big raise (compared to your stack, lets say 5 BBs) and no matter if winning or losing the hand, maybe your pair of 2's does the job (which would aggravate the opponents even more, if the opponent had a decent hand and you won with crap), because they will think of you as a fish, a player who bet a third of his stack with 2-8, and thus, when you actually hit the hand of dreams (AA or something like it, and then raise, more players will most likely call, because they feel that they got a responsibility to cleanse the table/pond of fish, so all of a sudden you get 5 calls on your pre-flop, 5BB, pocket aces, followed by a 6th player, likely the button or blinds with a re-raise, maybe one that puts you all in. Even though if all or 4/5 of the ones who called your raise now folds, you've increased the value by a big margin, so many ''dice-rollers'' or gamblers (all in with J10) will often call. You just lean back, with the odds in your favor, and watch as your stack, which was 1/4th of the average, puts you on top ten, just because you downplayed your skills by seemingly being a fish who makes dumb choices, by risking a third of your starting stack. This tactic will often work in a late reg, semi-expensive MTT or a single table, and with a piece of luck at the right time, you will have a stack larger than the average, but done so in 1/10th of the time the grinders and blinds-stealers will. Conclusion is that with a portion of luck and skill (the factor of skill in this situation shows in the fact that you're actually hiding skill and posing for a fish. As soon as your stack gets above, then you show the table how you had them going by folding alot, except limps, and grand hands, which should be re-raised if there's more than one or two players in the hand. This will tell you something about the players who talks after you - you've made it clear to the most players who are actually good at the game (the ones who analyze the hands step by step) will see what you did there, which is pretty brilliant, so they'll respect your raises from now on, and if anyone behind you calls your 4-bet, then be cautious, cus somebody most likely got monsters hidden, trying to squeeze value by just calling and checking - and at the turn or river, will make a big raise, 1/3-1/2 of the pot. Either it's a risky bluff, bullets or full house they got. If so, folding is often the best way to play a hand :) Hope this post made any sense to you, it's my first post here :) Sorry for it's length and inconsistency, I hope you get what I'm saying, understanding the examples and such :) But most importantly, remember patience. Calling an all in with KJs after a streak of only getting small number-cards will most likely lead to a loss of chips, and the other players respect on your bets, which actually is well played that it's being manipulated throughout a tournament, you don't want it to be like everyone folds when you join a hand, then you're locked up and should play a broader range of hands, have a showdown and lose a small percentage of your stack, then your bets won't be as respected anymore, and guys wanna rumble with your bullets or kings again. Always camouflage your gameplay (and do NOT make the same moves over and over whenever you got a good hand, switch your playstyle often. :) Late regging can be awesome, but you should always have a tactic when doing so :) :thefinger :fight:

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can start playing at an early stage of the tournament but you need to play carefully to avoid maniacs who play on not very good cards in All-In but it's on freerolls, and in MTT tournaments I can not advise about late registration, I play MTT from the beginning of the tournament so that try to collect as many chips as possible when bets start to rise!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, registration time in a tournament is not very important. It is more important to be patient and wait for a good opportunity to increase your chips.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love late registration.
All-in! All-in! All-in!
push!push!push!
simply, and exciting

J

JEasyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys are awesome! Several of you just gave me exactly what I was looking for. Thank you guys!
This is crazy 3 hours of late registration!
However I think it's perfect for my game. On global poker I do well in the deep stack tourneys vs. Turbos etc.
I love a long grind!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
personally I like to register when half or a little more than half of the late registration has passed, I do not like to take a risk when the blinds are very low, and so I am not so long in the tournament, that is if I register from the beginning more hours of game than if I enter later, of course if it is not a turbo tournament, if the tournament is turbo I register from the beginning, there are people who like to register in the last minutes to play push / fold

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally see no benefit of intentionally registering a tournament late. The loose aggressive players that are ready to punt their stacks are exactly the people I want to play pots against. Just play tight and someone will donk their stack off to you. Don't over bet pots or call over sized bets with light holdings just because you have a big stack.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest benefit of waiting to register is that the blinds are higher and it makes it worth playing for them. Most times an ante is involved by then, more chips to try for. Early stages the chips are not there for the huge bets, later they will also be weary of shoving that many chips when they are risking more. I will take the late registration and most times double up quite easy.

J

JEasyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm so used to Facebook, I keep looking for a like button!. Even tho there are some conflicting view points every explained WHY and I am able to learn a little something from everyone.
Truth be told I only joined this page because I saw it in the freeroll page, I have a while before i even qualify for those, but I wish I would have found this forum a year ago when I started playing (freerolls aside)
Thank you again everyone!

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never register late as an advantage. I gamble in the first part of the tournament and try to get a big stack and go for the top few spots where all the money is. Gamble and re enter if I lose

F

faf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In deep stacked tournaments, the first levels are real opprotunities for you to either play pots with position with marginal hands and try to stack off your opponent or to play solid tight and take advantage of those who play too many hands.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some players don’t like to wade through the early stages of play where they are less likely to get into big pots. I rarely late register but I see it often. Others like the ability to skip to the bigger blinds and prefer to play late stage poker. Some tournaments register for hours so I understand late regging those. 5 hours of registration is long.

T

tabletalk69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always late

I'm a big fan of late registration. I find that often people (myself included) tend to be overly aggressive during the first couple levels, leading to re-buys.

I get loose knowing I can re-buy!