Soft Play SNG Bubble

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing hyper 6-max and I've noticed some players soft playing each other when it gets 3-handed.

The scenario i'm describing is when 1st villain is a clear chip leader, hero has a reasonable 2nd place stack, and 3rd villain is a super shorty. Now I know game theory dictates hero needs to be super tight and conversely chip leader should be ripping any two cards into hero in most spots.

My complaint is I've had games where 1st villain is in BB and folds his 1bb to a 1.56 bb jam from the last place stack repeatedly. And literally never pushes into the 3rd place stack even when game theory clearly dictates they should.

How do you guys perceive this type of play? Is it a legitimate strategy or collusion?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The big stack can have an advantage in keeping the short stack alive to be able to continue to put pressure on the middle stack. Its not something, I would do, because it can certainly backfire, if the middle stack dubble up, and now the former chip leader is certainly at risk of bubbling himself. But some might see it different, and some might just not pay proper attention to stack sizes and pot odds. It could also be collusion, but you need a bit more evidence, before you can say for sure. Like you see a player do this, when you are the middle stack, but not when you are the short stack.